Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What we have been asking for! Could they not have avoided all the angst and done this months ago?

I'm surprised you're happy (are you?). It is great that they've sent an email. Unfortunately, this is the same information that they've been telling us for at least the past two months. IMHO there is no new content in that email, and I don't agree they're on track. Maybe they are "on track" but they won't provide more precise dates, so slipping is a non issue for them. They said deliveries were months away - specifically in Spring - and they're still months away now. It is vague. At least, I don't think I'm going to get MY car in spring as originally told, and therefore I'm much less optimistic about their commitment.

Glass half empty today - sorry!

A guess: The launch event will attract a lot of press so why not show off the Superchargers at the same time? Therefore, an SC is needed in Sydney for the launch event.

Edit: It will likely be the smallest variety of SCs with only 2 charging booths.

Yes, agreed. And I guess also being a nation first service centre, it would make sense to have chargers there too for public perception of the Tesla brand. I think they have a supercharger at the main building in San Fran don't they?

I'm surprised you're happy (are you?). It is great that they've sent an email. Unfortunately, this is the same information that they've been telling us for at least the past two months. IMHO there is no new content in that email, and I don't agree they're on track. Maybe they are "on track" but they won't provide more precise dates, so slipping is a non issue for them. They said deliveries were months away - specifically in Spring - and they're still months away now. It is vague. At least, I don't think I'm going to get MY car in spring as originally told, and therefore I'm much less optimistic about their commitment.

Glass half empty today - sorry!
I am happy that they are finally communicating with ALL of us, not just those that make a fuss, and then rely on us, clandestinely, to post for others to see - and not all reservation holders are on this site or the company web site. One has to read between the lines. EARLY 4th quarter deliveries. That is probably end October for Sydney. This info has not been available for the past 2 months. It had to be squeezed out of Jerome. (he spoke of "October at the earliest" but of course that is open ended and could be February next year for all we know). I agree, that Melbourne is going to be later. how they handle the Brown brothers will be interesting to see, as well as Simon Hackett. Rest of the country? Not sure. This note is in accord with Jerome's email to me and posted elsewhere on this site.

What will be REALLY great, is if they keep this up - on a fortnightly basis, for instance. My new guess is that launch is up to 8 weeks away, so we are only talking another 3 news emails!!

By 'fourth quarter' are they talking FY or CY?

Seems pretty simple to me - all deliveries will go to Sydney (for the foreseeable future). Melbourne may well get a centre, but I would lay money it's only when the sales target hits a magic number.

Everyone else will be 'on their own' in terms of pick-up, freighting, servicing and charging.

I am happy that they are finally communicating with ALL of us........

But they aren't. I've received no such email and I'm sure plenty of others haven't either. I'm not complaining mind you. I'm expecting the car some time in early 2015 because that's I was told when I ordered in July.

- - - Updated - - -

By 'fourth quarter' are they talking FY or CY?

Seems pretty simple to me - all deliveries will go to Sydney (for the foreseeable future). Melbourne may well get a centre, but I would lay money it's only when the sales target hits a magic number.

Everyone else will be 'on their own' in terms of pick-up, freighting, servicing and charging.

I'd be surprised if Tesla would built a car for a Melbourne customer only to say it must be picked up from Sydney and is at the customer's risk for servicing costs. That would be buying of whole lot of potential grief. More likely they will quietly sit on the Melbourne orders and not build them until they have a firm date for the service centre there to be up and running.

it's sorta becoming obvious that sales out side of greater Sydney are less than what Tesla hoped for. being the only solution available to drivers is the buy more cars. this creates a chicken and egg situation where there is no service centre until more cars are sold more cars aren't sold because there is no service centre.

it's sorta becoming obvious that sales out side of greater Sydney are less than what Tesla hoped for. being the only solution available to drivers is the buy more cars. this creates a chicken and egg situation where there is no service centre until more cars are sold more cars aren't sold because there is no service centre.

I wouldn't be so sure of that Gabz - last I heard sales in Victoria were going extremely well.

I think we'll see a Melbourne service centre sooner than you think. But I think Tesla are focussing on the Sydney centre as that is clearly their Australian "home base".

I wouldn't be so sure of that Gabz - last I heard sales in Victoria were going extremely well.

I think we'll see a Melbourne service centre sooner than you think. But I think Tesla are focussing on the Sydney centre as that is clearly their Australian "home base".

There is reference to a Melbourne service centre in their email, it's just not as far forward as Sydney and hence they are less prescriptive about timescale.

IIRC the UK launch event included someone from Edinburgh which is a similar distance from London as Melbourne from Sydney.
I can't see that it would take long to establish a ranger in Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide to fix minor problems and ship big issues back to the nearest established service centre in Sydney and later Melbourne.

IIRC the UK launch event included someone from Edinburgh which is a similar distance from London as Melbourne from Sydney.
I can't see that it would take long to establish a ranger in Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide to fix minor problems and ship big issues back to the nearest established service centre in Sydney and later Melbourne.

It's OK in theory until you price a return trip from Perth in an enclosed transporter. I can see why Tesla is being very careful with its comments on the timing of deliveries to markets without service centres.

These are the joys of being an early adopter. :)

Last edited:
Hawthorne was the prototype supercharger at the design center. I doubt they would have located one there otherwise, because it's not a great location.

Actually, having a supercharger near LAX is great for people from Santa Barbara, San Diego, Palm Springs, etc, who often drive to LAX to fly out or pick up visitors. We use it a lot. Even if the design center wasn't there, I wouldn't have been surprised if they eventually would have put one somewhere near.