Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Dborn,
When did you get your Vin No.? Does Tesla send it once your order is confirmed?
Is that what your 'membership' CONFIRMED stands for?

I chose RED as well but solid roof .
It will be interesting to see when first ones start arriving into Oz.
Hope you're first cab ( Tesla ) off the rank.

Hi Dborn,
When did you get your Vin No.? Does Tesla send it once your order is confirmed?
Is that what your 'membership' CONFIRMED stands for?

I chose RED as well but solid roof .
It will be interesting to see when first ones start arriving into Oz.
Hope you're first cab ( Tesla ) off the rank.
Welcome Frank,
Your VIN will appear on your My Dashboard page on the Teslamotors web site.
IIRC your order number is replaced with your VIN when it's allocated. LHS below Model S
As many of us placed orders some time ago the VIN appeared almost immediately, if you placed your order recently it may take a week of so.
I know that there is a keen EV community in WA so I think it won't be long before there are enough orders to justify a Tesla presence there.

Last edited:
Hi Adapptor,
Nice to see another Perth Tesla S owner.
I had a test drive on Saturday in Sydney. Placed confirmed order next day.
We need more Perth owners to get a service centre here ASAP.
Mine may arrive April 2014 and it will be hair raising driving around with zero backup.
If it stops for any reason, I figure I'll just get it towed back to my garage and polish if for a few months.

At last count there are 4 buyers in WA ? I tried to update the spreadsheet with not much luck...

rgds

Frank

Hi Frank,

Welcome to the forums and sorry for the slow reply, am currently on leave in a remote spot, so checking in here less often than usual.

I'd say there's a few more WA owners who don't hang out here and as such are not on the confirmed orders sheet.

Numbers will still be small though so we should keep spreading the word so we get that service centre sooner rather than later.

Hi Frank,

Welcome to the forums and sorry for the slow reply, am currently on leave in a remote spot, so checking in here less often than usual.

I'd say there's a few more WA owners who don't hang out here and as such are not on the confirmed orders sheet.

Numbers will still be small though so we should keep spreading the word so we get that service centre sooner rather than later.
One of those things - most people aren't keen enough to put money down on a product they have zero support for in Australia yet, the old chicken and egg. That and the fact that while it may be inexpensive for it's class, it's still subject to LCT and stamp duty and in WA that is the worst (over $150k for the P85 with pano roof and tech pack). A lot of people will be waiting for the price of the vehicle to come down rather than get hit by heavy depreciation on the first run of the vehicle and also for incentives like cheap finance no matter how sexy this beast is. Others will also be holding off to see if the Model X is a better fit for them. Then there is the old chest nut of range anxiety which we know for city commuters is a non issue but it does require investing in additional infrastructure in your garage or car port to charge the vehicle unless popping into one of the few public chargers is convenient for you. With the high price of electricity from the grid here also, the cost savings on refuelling also aren't as big as in the US and Europe, particularly if you currently drive a compact with good fuel economy. For me since I have solar and drive a Prado my costs would be about 10% of what they are now and that's excluding reduced servicing costs due to lack of a combustion motor. Others simply aren't bothered about the go fast factor if they don't hear nice vroom vroom noises or are waiting for the driver-less option to become available. This is the impression I've picked up over the past few years when talking to people about the Tesla Roadster.

I know that many of these points apply to me. With two kids and in-laws I'm waiting to see if there is a P85 version of the Model X that closely matches the performance of the Model S P85 (I suspect there will be). If that's the case that will be the option I plump for and by the time that is available in Australia we should have a service centre here in Perth and finance options at under 5% to encourage purchasing of a new electric vehicle rather than a second hand hybrid, eco diesel etc. Once these cars get higher visibility in the local media you'll start seeing more on the road as quickly as they can get them shipped over here.

Last edited:
Last line in this article Tesla And Panasonic Agree On Expanded Battery Cell Supply | The Motor Report

"Note: Tesla's Model S sedan has been confirmed for an Australian launch and customer models are arriving over the coming weeks"

I wonder what what the forum thinks is an adequate time between sig deliveries and normal model s deliveries. If I was a Sig owner I would expect a few weeks.. But also I would want everyone to get their cars ASAP

Last line in this article Tesla And Panasonic Agree On Expanded Battery Cell Supply | The Motor Report

"Note: Tesla's Model S sedan has been confirmed for an Australian launch and customer models are arriving over the coming weeks"

I wonder what what the forum thinks is an adequate time between sig deliveries and normal model s deliveries. If I was a Sig owner I would expect a few weeks.. But also I would want everyone to get their cars ASAP

I'm going to say 2 months as a realistic estimate.

I am not sure it will be that reality. HK Sigs were largely 'In Production' in June, whilst no non-sigs are 'In Production' yet AFAIK, so it looks like at least a one month gap in HK, although they seem to be facing some unique regulatory issues.

The factory shut-down may have also been a factor which may have added two weeks to the gap.

On another note - as some of you may know Cary (the first Melbourne rep) is leaving us and chasing warmer climates. I think he leaves in the next few days.

I know he trolls these forums sometimes so just wanted to say big thanks for introducing us Melbournians to the Model S and being patient with the fanatics :D All the best for whatever country you hit up next!!

On another note - as some of you may know Cary (the first Melbourne rep) is leaving us and chasing warmer climates. I think he leaves in the next few days.

I know he trolls these forums sometimes so just wanted to say big thanks for introducing us Melbournians to the Model S and being patient with the fanatics :D All the best for whatever country you hit up next!!

Hi Cary, I hope you read this - its been a pleasure to meet you - Tesla could not ask for a better rep.

Its a pity that you did not have time to really experience living in Melbourne....you will have to return one day. Not sure that London will be warmer though, and two winters in a row?

Cheers
David