Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Goes to China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure?

- - - Updated - - -

Also: It seems to me that Tesla has encountered a hold-up in China.

Thoughts?

Or should we refrain from speculation… :rolleyes:

The hold up I'm sure is red tape and some palms that need to be greased. There are a lot of hands out here, if you know what I mean.

As for the kids, they're very aware of environmental issues and keen on new technology. The Model S should be very popular with Chinese youth when they learn about it.

On your first paragraph:

Yeah, I thought some about that.

I guess it can't be the case that a substantial amount of the worlds ICE manufacturers are in cohorts with a substantial amount of the worlds oil corporations and oil producing regimes like the Saudi, the Qatari, the Kuwaiti and the one in Brunei, about denying Tesla access to the Chinese market. (I'm guessing those forces combined could out-grease pretty much any single entity or alliance...) The US government would not tolerate that. Or?

The Chinese people who are interested in Elon Musk and/or Tesla Motors and/or the Tesla Model S should join forces and do something about that crazy Chinese business man, as he is an obstacle for them as well. Is there already a Chinese Tesla Fan Club?

The Chinese people who are interested in Elon Musk and/or Tesla Motors and/or the Tesla Model S should join forces and do something about that crazy Chinese business man, as he is an obstacle for them as well. Is there already a Chinese Tesla Fan Club?

That would be great but the trademark issue is probably small potatoes compared to the government hurdle that they face. Hope I am wrong but my guess is that a deal will be struck where Tesla gets to sell cars there on the conditional basis that they build a factory there within five years or something like that.

That would be great but the trademark issue is probably small potatoes compared to the government hurdle that they face. Hope I am wrong but my guess is that a deal will be struck where Tesla gets to sell cars there on the conditional basis that they build a factory there within five years or something like that.

They will be building a factory in China anyway for the Generation 3 platform Tesla Model E (and in Europe as well), so that will not be a real problem.

I have read conflicting reports on whether electric vehicles purchased in Beijing will be exempt from the vehicle registration lottery. It would truly be a boon to business if they were indeed exempt, as it seems your odds of getting a license plate are about 1 in 70 or 1 in 80 otherwise.

The hold up I'm sure is red tape and some palms that need to be greased. There are a lot of hands out here, if you know what I mean.

As for the kids, they're very aware of environmental issues and keen on new technology. The Model S should be very popular with Chinese youth when they learn about it.

Having been to China many times in the past 15 years, I'd say that Tesla will appeal to both young and old....not because of their concerns for the environment....but because of the car's technological innovations. Those with money to spend always want the latest and greatest.

image.jpg
this was posted on Instagram a few days ago. Looks like it is the new Beijing store. Pretty sweet

Tesla sells its first electric car in mainland China: Shanghaiist

Tesla sells its first electric car in mainland China

The California-based electric car company Tesla has secured its first ever sale in mainland China. The car manufacturer is looking to expand into the mainland, and sold the car to a man from Dongyang city, Zhejiang province. The all-electric luxury sedan was shipped from Tesla's showroom in Hong Kong. Tesla's Hong Kong store had already received over 300 cash deposits of $5000 to $42,500 to reserve the Tesla Model S before the company even decided on the price. It is rumored that the entry-level model will start from HK$600,000 ($80,000).

Bizarre story. Not sure if it is real, or just a screw-up (the picture is a roadster, after all).

Edit/Clarification: I don't think this story is true. It is possible that the Dongyang guy got a Model S into China, but not that he got it through Hong Kong.

Last edited:
Bizarre story. Not sure if it is real, or just a screw-up (the picture is a roadster, after all).

Edit/Clarification: I don't think this story is true. It is possible that the Dongyang guy got a Model S into China, but not that he got it through Hong Kong.

Now spreading. SCMP is a respected Hong Kong English language newspaper:

First Tesla electric car sold to a mainland customer for an alleged HK$3m | South China Morning Post

Tesla Motors is allegedly delivering its first electric car to a mainland customer for a total price of around 2.5 million yuan, (HK$3 million) according to local media reports and online postings.... Reporters from the Qianjeng Evening News followed up on the Weibo posts, and discovered that the poster known as “Hantian Racing” was director of a car factory in Zhejiang. He knew of the car’s buyer, but declined to give a name and would only state that the Model S was currently in Shanghai, would soon be shipped to Dongyang, and had been purchased in a “direct transfer from Hong Kong” with total shipping costs estimated at around 2.5 million yuan.

Maybe from a Hong Kong trader, but not Tesla Hong Kong. Probably a US car brought in gray market.

What's the policy regarding break/totaling a tesla model s because of debris in china?
There is sure tons of debris laying around on the streets/highways here (i currently live in shanghai) coming from those overloaded trucks loosing stuff from all the construction sites around.

Now spreading. SCMP is a respected Hong Kong English language newspaper:

First Tesla electric car sold to a mainland customer for an alleged HK$3m | South China Morning Post

Maybe from a Hong Kong trader, but not Tesla Hong Kong. Probably a US car brought in gray market.

No doubt a grey market import.

A friend knowledgeable in these matters says that since the Model S wasn't approved for sale in China at the time, the car was probably imported as "Goods" and not as a vehicle. So this expensive grey market Model S was the first in China but may never be eligible for a registration or street legal.

Interesting to see old time discussions here.

Tesla has got the Chinese name "特斯拉" in China last July which is the formal translation of Tesla (, Nikola).
However, when I paid the deposit of my Model X last Sept, the receiver was still the old name "拓速乐".