Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Goes to China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find the new name perfectly acceptable - except that they seem to have registered "拓速乐汽车" which literally means Tesla Gasoline Car. Electric cars are "电动车" so I don't know if this was just wrongly reported by media or for real.

Anyhow, using 拉 instead of 乐 in the new name is probably not very good.

It can easily be extended to become
垃圾 which means garbage or rubbish.

I like the new name - sounds to me like "Building up speed to happiness"

Regarding '拉', a lot of high end imported brands has it. Association to '垃' is a stretch as they are different character.

I guess in the end, the product will define itself, and people will make their own association. I hope they do relate Telsa to "Building up speed to happiness", which I like a lot, better than the “Expand Speed Happiness”.

With a product like Model S, I think people will.

Regarding '拉', a lot of high end imported brands has it. Association to '垃' is a stretch as they are different character.

It isn't a stretch vocally. What I'm saying is that phonetically, people can rename de si la / tuo su la to become de si la ji / tuo su la ji (vocally) if they want to deride the brand.

I hope they do relate Telsa to "Building up speed to happiness", which I like a lot, better than the “Expand Speed Happiness”.

I'm not sure about your level of mandarin proficiency so I'll just explain anyway...
Expand Speed Happiness is a literal word by word translation which really isn't suitable for translating some mandarin words to english.
For example, 人山人海 would be translated as people mountain people sea (literally), but it actually means crowded.

I was reading the three words together and the first impression I got from it was to build up speed to happiness which actually seems alright for a car company.

Regarding '拉', a lot of high end imported brands has it.
Here's a list of all the brands with '拉' in their Chinese name:
Cadillac - 凯迪拉克Ferrari - 法拉利
Lada - 拉达
Mahindra - 马辛德拉
Maserati - 玛莎拉蒂
Tatra - 太脱拉

Two are truck makers and one is not so good, but the other 3 are high end brands.
http://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-hant/汽車品牌列表

Here's a list of all the brands with '拉' in their Chinese name:
Cadillac - 凯迪拉克Ferrari - 法拉利
Lada - 拉达
Mahindra - 马辛德拉
Maserati - 玛莎拉蒂
Tatra - 太脱拉

Two are truck makers and one is not so good, but the other 3 are high end brands.
http://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-hant/汽車品牌列表

yes but there is no meaning to that character in those words. It is a placeholder for the phonetics ra and la in cadilLAc , feRAri, LAda, etc.

they count on existing brand awareness which tesla does not have.

the brand has to already be well known for that to work. Its like coming up with a company called mtfyohdjyr , ure going to have to define your brand because nobody has any idea what you are or what you represent theres no meaning associated with a random bunch of letters either.

.... Its like coming up with a company called mtfyohdjyr , ure going to have to define your brand because nobody has any idea what you are or what you represent theres no meaning associated with a random bunch of letters either.

Tesla gets that in the states too.

"What kind of car is that?

It's a Tesla.

Who makes it?'

The letters mean nothing. As you say the brand has to be built from scratch.

Last edited:
When I'm in China in September Ill be spending time in Beijing, Xinzheng City, and Guangzhou. In many cases I'll be talking to high school students who want to study in the US as well as their parents. I'll do some informal polling to understand if they've even heard of Tesla and if so their level of knowledge. These are pretty affluent families and in most cases can afford the car, so this should be an interesting excercise.

This is the bit I'd want fixed.
I find the new name perfectly acceptable - except that they seem to have registered "拓速乐汽车" which literally means Tesla Gasoline Car. Electric cars are "电动车" so I don't know if this was just wrongly reported by media or for real.
I guess 汽车 is typically used for car, but that "steam" 汽 character certainly doesn't apply here. Maybe it will stick around like how we "dial" a phone. But Tesla should go ahead and establish themselves as an EV (电动车) brand. Hopefully they can remove that stigma that EVs in China burst into flames.

This is the bit I'd want fixed.

I guess 汽车 is typically used for car, but that "steam" 汽 character certainly doesn't apply here. Maybe it will stick around like how we "dial" a phone. But Tesla should go ahead and establish themselves as an EV (电动车) brand. Hopefully they can remove that stigma that EVs in China burst into flames.

Have you tried sending an email to George B and Elon about this case? There is a tiny chance they might not have noticed it and might have taken 汽车 to mean car wity gasoline connotation.