Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Extended Warranty - Worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 MY that has about 1800 miles left before the warranty runs out. The Tesla extended warranty adds 2 years or 25K miles whichever comes first and costs $2000. So far my car has had very few issues but I’m nervous about owning it out of warranty. Has anyone else purchased it and do you think it’s worth it?

The Model Y has not existed long enough for many to be out of warranty yet, I think. So we probably won't have much useful data. A good friend of mine has owned Teslas since 2014 or 2015, and I don't think he has had a total of $2K of service in or out of warranty in the lives of all his cars combined. My gut is that the extended warranty is not likely to pay off for owners.

Last edited:
The Model Y has not existed long enough to be out of warranty yet, I think. So we probably won't have much useful data. A good friend of mine has owned Teslas since 2014 or 2015, and I don't think he has had a total of $2K of service in or out of warranty in the lives of all his cars combined. My gut is that the extended warranty is not likely to pay off for owners.
I’m hitting the mileage limit at about 3 years ownership. I did have a major problem with the rear lift gate that was covered under warranty but so far that’s been it. That for sure would have been over 2k to fix.

I have a 2020 MY with over 75K. I felt that for any issues I would have with the car, I should be able to DIY to a point. Remember, Tesla service pricing, and let me say in most examples are not as expensive as a dealer doing repairs on an ICE car. Depending on your location, there may be aftermarket shops that can also be considered when needing any work on the vehicle. For the big ticket items (battery/motors), you have an 8 year warranty. Tesla opened up their service manuals now to the public and now with access to service mode in the vehicle, some things can be done in your drive way. I did elect to obtain Tesla's extended warranty on our 2018 MX but that's mainly because of the FWD's. We're approaching 92K on that car and we'll soon be out of warranty again. Insurance and warranties are a good piece of mind. On thing that makes me think ext warranties are a money maker is due to all the phone calls I use to get attempting to sell me one.

. . . and I got something yesterday through the mail - special EV extended Warranty. No mention of price

1690920450232.png

Ha ha - I almost outed myself by including my name and address there

We have two 2020 MYLR's, bought in July and August, 2020.

Both have been trouble free. Some OTA recalls and the T&P sensor swap are the only 'issues' we've had.

One has ~16k and one has ~46k.

I will be getting the Tesla extended warranty on the ~46k one.

Basically, the warranty is a bet: I bet the car will break for >$2k within the warranty period, and Telsa is betting that it won't.

The biggest system I'm worried about is the heat pump. Remember, it was new tech for an EV back in 2020, and there have been several iterations and improvements to the heat pump in the intervening three years. If that takes a dump, there's my $2k in spades, haha!!

(Also, my plan is to run my MYLR into the ground. I love the car and I'm 100% getting the Cybertruck when it's released. The CT will give me the new Telsa vibe while I get to see how long I can make the 2020 MYLR last :)

Reactions: Cobe
We have two 2020 MYLR's, bought in July and August, 2020.

Both have been trouble free. Some OTA recalls and the T&P sensor swap are the only 'issues' we've had.

One has ~16k and one has ~46k.

I will be getting the Tesla extended warranty on the ~46k one.

Basically, the warranty is a bet: I bet the car will break for >$2k within the warranty period, and Telsa is betting that it won't.

The biggest system I'm worried about is the heat pump. Remember, it was new tech for an EV back in 2020, and there have been several iterations and improvements to the heat pump in the intervening three years. If that takes a dump, there's my $2k in spades, haha!!

(Also, my plan is to run my MYLR into the ground. I love the car and I'm 100% getting the Cybertruck when it's released. The CT will give me the new Telsa vibe while I get to see how long I can make the 2020 MYLR last :)
What is the T&P sensor swap?

What is the T&P sensor swap?
Temperature and Pressure sensor.

There was a recall of the T&P sensors (part of the heat pump A/C system) on some early 2020 MY's. The recalled T&P sensors would cause the A/C to perform poorly. Since the swap (in 2021 IIRC) the A/C and heat in both has worked perfectly. Even 110f+ days are no match, haha!!

Our VIN's are 0235XX and 0351XX.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canefan456
So came here to search for this and interestingly you seem to have used XCare. I'm debating between them and Tesla. Any reason why you went with XCare vs Tesla? TIA!
Couple different reasons - i wasnt able to buy the ESA (because i bought my car used) but i also wanted a longer term. Tesla only offers a 2yr/25k and i would go through 25k miles in a little over a year (i drive a lot with this specific car)

Geeky, if there's anything we can help clarify, please just let us know. Thanks for the vote of confidence EarlyM3Owner! EV Extended Warranty | Xcelerate Auto - xcelerateauto.com
I just read what seemed to be 9 million exclusions for them to deny. Seems either too explicit as to what is not covered and subjective language to put the blame on the driver for the issue. Still shopping, there has to be something other than this.