Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Extended Warranty - Worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If we view the EV as a rolling electronic box you sit in, like a cell phone you talk on, ask why do you need a warranty past the mfrs? The margin of profit on all of these "warranty" offers are the main reason the sales are so aggressive. Would you buy an extended warranty for your phone? If so then maybe you better buy it for the EV. Or save the money and use it in case of any failure. Of course then, very important, you control the "exclusions".

I just read what seemed to be 9 million exclusions for them to deny. Seems either too explicit as to what is not covered and subjective language to put the blame on the driver for the issue. Still shopping, there has to be something other than this.
@sdflipper743 our XCare warranty was actually designed to mirror the Tesla ESA. But be more flexible with terms and eligibility. We also offer battery & drive unit coverage. :)

I just read what seemed to be 9 million exclusions for them to deny. Seems either too explicit as to what is not covered and subjective language to put the blame on the driver for the issue. Still shopping, there has to be something other than this.
Hi sdflipper743, happy to clarify. XCare is an exclusionary warranty, and our list of exclusions is thorough by necessity. If we included all of the covered items the list would be about 17 pages long, and equally difficult for many to understand. Suffice to say we benchmarked the Tesla ESA when developing XCare, to provide the highest level of coverage possible. Our transparency in the exclusions is proof of our desire to ensure our members know precisely what is not covered, so they can make an informed choice. We are all prior Tesla execs, alumni and partners, we all drive Teslas and we have the exclusive endorsement of the largest owners clubs in the country, ie Tesla Owners Silicon Valley (largest club in the world) and Tesla Owners Club New York State (largest owners club on the east coast) to name but a couple. Hope you continue to consider XCare, but if not we sincerely wish you well with your Tesla! -XCare

Well there’s obviously a lot more parts on a Tesla that could break compared to a cellphone. The cost to repair a Tesla part is more than a cellphone as well.
But also if you compare the cost of a cellphone warranty compared to the cost of the phone, it’s more expensive. Apple is a good example. AppleCare would be ~20% of the cost of the iPhone it’s covering for 2 years.
My extended Tesla warranty cost ~3% of the cost of the car for 4 years of coverage.
If you break your cellphone out of warranty, it’s not a financial burden to pay out of pocket a couple hundred to fix it, or even to buy a new one.
Paying $1500 for one new headlight though on a Tesla though is quite pricey. Let alone the cost to fix/replace the MCU, charging system or HVAC costs.
So the risk/reward of purchasing an extended cellphone warranty cannot be compared to that of buying one for your Tesla.

Well there’s obviously a lot more parts on a Tesla that could break compared to a cellphone. The cost to repair a Tesla part is more than a cellphone as well.
But also if you compare the cost of a cellphone warranty compared to the cost of the phone, it’s more expensive. Apple is a good example. AppleCare would be ~20% of the cost of the iPhone it’s covering for 2 years.
My extended Tesla warranty cost ~3% of the cost of the car for 4 years of coverage.
If you break your cellphone out of warranty, it’s not a financial burden to pay out of pocket a couple hundred to fix it, or even to buy a new one.
Paying $1500 for one new headlight though on a Tesla though is quite pricey. Let alone the cost to fix/replace the MCU, charging system or HVAC costs.
So the risk/reward of purchasing an extended cellphone warranty cannot be compared to that of buying one for your Tesla.
No argument.
However on the basic level it is a recharge battery pack with a computer processor. Both have HMI screens and motors.
One you sit in. One you sit on. Both charge up at home at night and update via wifi. Very similar.

No argument.
However on the basic level it is a recharge battery pack with a computer processor. Both have HMI screens and motors.
One you sit in. One you sit on. Both charge up at home at night and update via wifi. Very similar.
lol not even close to being similar. The Model 3 (the most simplistic of all Tesla vehicles) has 20k unique parts. It has AC systems, heat pump, windows, seats, wheels, suspension, etc, etc, etc...there are roughly 30-40 unique parts in a smartphone.

i hope you are being obtuse stating that they are "very similar". Any competent minded person can see the extreme differences between literally ANY car, and a cell phone....

lol not even close to being similar. The Model 3 (the most simplistic of all Tesla vehicles) has 20k unique parts. It has AC systems, heat pump, windows, seats, wheels, suspension, etc, etc, etc...there are roughly 30-40 unique parts in a smartphone.

i hope you are being obtuse stating that they are "very similar". Any competent minded person can see the extreme differences between literally ANY car, and a cell phone....
Perhaps. The point here is the similarities, not the differences. There are many and I laid out a few.
Readers already know they can not sit in their phone or drive it.
LOL to you too when you state the obvious! Hope this helps.

Actually in that list, there is not a scenario in which wheels get replaced or repaired, it is all out of pocket.

Extended warranties are only worth it if something covered goes wrong during the coverage period. I've purchase two extended vehicle warranties twice in my life and both times nothing went wrong with the vehicles. So for me they weren't worth it. Personally, now I just set money aside in a high interest earning account or a short term investment, to have the funds if something goes wrong with my car. Most people don't keep their cars that long after the manufacture warranty anyway. Just things to consider.

Reactions: JerseyShoreMY