Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops prices on X/S $20k. All colors free. Bye bye resale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I’d rather Tesla get the price increases over a dealership getting an arbitrary markup. At least Tesla could use the money for something worthwhile compared to a dealership.

The Tesla markups were just as "arbitrary." Both Tesla and independent dealership raised prices largely due to supply/demand factors tied to inventory shortages, supply chain issues, etc. in the market. I don’t necessarily see the money going to $700+ BILLION Tesla as being any better than the money going to multi-millon dollar independent dealerships.

The Tesla markups were just as "arbitrary." Both Tesla and independent dealership raised prices largely due to supply/demand factors tied to inventory shortages, supply chain issues, etc. in the market. I don’t necessarily see the money going to $700+ BILLION Tesla as being any better than the money going to multi-millon dollar independent dealerships.
I do. One has a mission to accelerate the world to sustainable energy and the other does not.

I have zero love for dealerships.

Not an easy task for Tesla when a vast amount of resources are being spent to slow that down.

I do. One has a mission to accelerate the world to sustainable energy and the other does not.

I have zero love for dealerships.

Not an easy task for Tesla when a vast amount of resources are being spent to slow that down.

I'm with you on this sentiment. Like anyone would be, I'd personally be a little angry if I felt I had overpaid by a big number.

That said, Tesla has many headwinds, various entities working against them, many trying to take them down or at least knock them back a few pegs, and a market that's softening at the present time.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be mad about missing a big sale price, but if there is a benefit of the doubt to be given I'm going to give it Tesla. MHO.

putting one on now...

Attachments

• 369938291_7017094611635335_7567173404911549147_n.jpg
    369938291_7017094611635335_7567173404911549147_n.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 116
Terrible resale values for Tesla and EV's in general is not good for the EV market as a whole. One of the reasons, if not the main reason, people buy EV's is that they are cheaper to run and maintain. Tesla puts this savings front and center on their website. But saving a few dollars on gas is not going to help much if the value of the car you buy falls off a cliff. This has to be driving lots of people back to gas cars.

Terrible resale values for Tesla and EV's in general is not good for the EV market as a whole. One of the reasons, if not the main reason, people buy EV's is that they are cheaper to run and maintain. Tesla puts this savings front and center on their website. But saving a few dollars on gas is not going to help much if the value of the car you buy falls off a cliff. This has to be driving lots of people back to gas cars.
Yup, cheaper and more affordable EVs are a terrible sign for the EV market. 😂

How do you people come up with this stuff

Let's see..I bought a Model 3 , AWD LR just about exactly 3 years ago. Paid 51,346, cash. Out of curiosity, I asked Tesla how much they would buy my car for...$30K. Open market, with 20K miles on it, which is what we have..prices vary...32- 38K. The higher priced ones are not moving.
That is the biggest decline in value on any car, for a time period like that I have ever had in the last 45 years...O, just saying..and yes, I know cars are not an investment..but really....

• Informative
Reactions: WhiteOnWhiteMY
Yup, cheaper and more affordable EVs are a terrible sign for the EV market. 😂

How do you people come up with this stuff
I didn't come up with the calculation for Total Cost of Ownership. Depreciation is one of the biggest contributors to the overall cost of a car. It's simple math to figure out if the lower initial purchase price compensates for the additional expected depreciation. If the lower purchase price does not compensate for the additional depreciation, then EVs did not just become more affordable for new car buyers.

Please show me a car that loses 40% of its value when driven off of the lot, go read a book.

You seem like the typical sheep who regurgitates things their parents told them as children blindly.

Show me a car that drops 40% after being driven off of the lot.
Keep in mind, that if a consumer pays dealer price for a car, that same consumer will get penalized when trading it back in to a dealer. Just look at the price differentials on either Edmunds or KBB between purchase price, private sale and trade in. It's not 40% but it is significant.

BTW, every BMW that I've owned lost significant value over the purchase price when I traded it in to a BMW dealer. Cars are not a good investment, as others here have said, unless one is talking about a pristinely maintained collectible.

I didn't come up with the calculation for Total Cost of Ownership.
No, but you’re applying it in a way that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

1) Prices went up across the board in the past couple years. Not just EVs.

2) Prices are coming down across the board now in response to current economic conditions. Not just EVs.

3) Large price fluctuations in 6-figure cars at the top of the market are not particularly relevant to the overall car market and TCO calculations.

4) Yes - emerging technology, which EVs still are, is generally subject to larger depreciation due to the rapid pace of innovation. Early adopters generally understand this and accept it. The end result is that prices come down for mass-market adoption. That’s exactly what we’re seeing happen now (on top of some other macroeconomic craziness that resulted in a massive automotive price bubble that anyone paying any sort of attention to knew would eventually have to pop).

Put another way: I don’t see a lot of people running around with flip phones because smart phone prices keep dropping and they’re worried about depreciation.

Cars are tools, not investments, and nearly every calculation that exists on the subject shows an EV being less to own over a suitably long period than an equivalent ICE.

No, not just yet ... wait. Price drops and new tech is just around the corner. If you buy now you'll either get ripped off or miss out. Think ... golden hinges ... for free! I'm sayin', you gotta wait.
90k for a plaid!!?? I'm not sure this price will go much lower? Drop another 5k at some point? I wouldn't be too pissed.
What I would be pissed is if they come out with DBW tech. Only thing missing from the car now is the front camera which I'm crossing my fingers would be a easy retro in the near future.

Reactions: zoomer0056