Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops prices on X/S $20k. All colors free. Bye bye resale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One should never buy a vehicle based on resale. It's durable equipment with a finite lifespan. Once you decide it's worth the money to you, and you make the purchase, it's done. Don't look backwards as there's no point.
This is great for those of us who would never consider spending 6 figures on a car. Sales volume will go up, and the available pool of buyers will open a bit more. With the Cybertruck coming, I don't see how a price drop couldn't occur.

wow, I’ve never lost so much money on a car

Paid 110k for this car 1 year ago.
Almost a 50% reduction in value.

I’ll never buy another Tesla again.
Wow. I paid roughly $98K for my MS in 2016; I can now get a MSP for a little over $80k. FML. I'll never buy another Tesla again.
Oh, wait: they're depreciating assets. Never mind.

You haven't lost anything yet until you sell the car. Then calculate what you lost from original value minus use/depreciation. If you're not happy with that then look into Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Home Page.

Enjoy the car while you have it; you probably wouldn't get too much use out of the field of cars at Pebble Beach.

Last edited:
Wow. Similar thing happened to me last year with the Y price drop.

I feel everyone's pain.
Almost a 50% rexuctionj
Wow. I paid roughly $98K for my MS in 2016; I can now get a MSP for a little over $80k. FML. I'll never buy another Tesla again.
Oh, wait: they're depreciating assets. Never mind.

You haven't lost anything yet until you sell the car. Then calculate what you lost from original value minus use/depreciation. If you're not happy with that then look into Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Home Page.

Enjoy the car while you have it; you probably wouldn't get too much use out of the field of cars at Pebble Beach.
The SAME car I bought 12 months ago has lost 50% of its value. Your car is 7 years old and a pre refresh model. It isn’t normal to depreciate 50% in a year, so respectfully you are wrong.

Almost a 50% rexuctionj

The SAME car I bought 12 months ago has lost 50% of its value. Your car is 7 years old and a pre refresh model. It isn’t normal to depreciate 50% in a year, so respectfully you are wrong.
Other vendors cars lose 30-40% as soon as you drive it off the lot. Not sure which world you were living in before covid.

Other vendors cars lose 30-40% as soon as you drive it off the lot. Not sure which world you were living in before covid.

Please show me a car that loses 40% of its value when driven off of the lot, go read a book.

You seem like the typical sheep who regurgitates things their parents told them as children blindly.

Show me a car that drops 40% after being driven off of the lot.

A new X is very tempting to me, but it seems unlikely they will raise the price (without notice), so I'll wait for more info on the truck.
(price cuts do not get notice, price hikes seem to).
But I would like a X with more range than mine, But it's hard to justify the cost, when I can just plug in for a few minutes if needed.... Ugh.
For reference: a NEW X is $72.5k after rebate. Which is $10k LESS than I Paid for my X back in 2019. That's crazy.
But giving up a turn signal stalk is also crazy... so.. there's that.

I called this a while back (S/X price drop) as the S/X just aren't selling since the Y is so damn good at such a lower price.
My wife's Y is so good, you could buy 2 and still have money left over vs. a X. (Yesterday prices), and the X was just NOT twice the car.

Given that Tesla abandoned the right hand drive models, and today's price cuts, I think it's a fairly safe bet that... a new S/X is coming soon.

Predicting a new S/X showing at the CyberTruck reveal. Calling it now!

One should never buy a vehicle based on resale. It's durable equipment with a finite lifespan. Once you decide it's worth the money to you, and you make the purchase, it's done. Don't look backwards as there's no point.
This is great for those of us who would never consider spending 6 figures on a car. Sales volume will go up, and the available pool of buyers will open a bit more. With the Cybertruck coming, I don't see how a price drop couldn't occur.
What other car has dropped almost 50% in MSRP in a year? No one is saying that people are expecting the prices to hold or appreciate in value, but Tesla is tanking the value of these cars.

Please show me a car that loses 40% of its value when driven off of the lot, go read a book.

You seem like the typical sheep who regurgitates things their parents told them as children blindly.

lmao somebody is mad! Do your own homework. Stop crying like a little girl. Hate to break it to you, you did not buy an investment.

None do, but even if we hold that argument to be true. The MS/X lose their normal depreciated value, plus what Tesla has tanked them with these price drops. So in the instances we are honoring "cars lose 40% from being driven off the lot", add in another 40% from what Tesla has done to MSRP.

lmao somebody is mad! Do your own homework. Stop crying like a little girl. Hate to break it to you, you did not buy an investment.
No one is saying these cars are an investment...if they are they are presenting a poor argument just like you. They are saying people who bought 110k car, plus typical depreciation, plus the 40+% price drop means their car is worth about 1/3 of what it should be comparable to other new cars.

Reactions: Msicario

Is your car for sale? No ... then don't worry about it.

I didn’t think it was an investment , I planned to trade it in due to what a garbage made car it is and now I lost some cash.

What homework is to be done? No car has ever lost that much value in one year of ownership. Nobody would buy a car that did that.