Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla doesn't want to service my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you notice the part in your warranty that said you were not supposed to use a mechanical carwash but rather you should hand wash the vehicle? I was surprised to read that too but you should be aware that mechanical car washes will possibly void your car body warranty.

Despite the fact that i have a full body wrap in Expel Ultimate, i still use only hand wash car wash companies.

BTW, right now I am writhing an email to SC Vienna, so i have the proof for you guys. will see what they replay.

You can dial 800 numbers in the US from Europe. Instead of 800 you dial 880 using the proper country code.

Edit.................

That was with Verizon Wireless this year. Not sure if it is different for ATT or other carriers or landlines.

Edit again............

Reference:

Calling a toll free/freephone number from abroad
Dialing a toll free number from abroad may not work
Calls to a toll free (also known as freephone/freecall) number are paid for by the receiver of the call, making them free for you, the caller. However, when dialing such a number from another country, you (the caller) will be charged international rates. So the call is no longer free when dialed from abroad. This is the reason why some long distance carriers/toll free number owners choose to block receiving international calls and generally advise their international callers to contact them on a regular telephone number.

Calls to a toll free number are not free when dialed from abroad
If the call goes through you will incur regular (or sometimes higher) international charges. So, if the company/person you want to reach also has a regular telephone number it is better to dial the latter when calling from another country.

Calling US/Canadian toll free numbers
Normally, to call a toll free number registered in the US, Canada or any other NANP country from another country you should use the dialing instructions we provide on this site. If the call goes through you are usually informed that your call isn't free, if it doesn't keep reading.

Examples:

US toll free number 1 800 000 0000 would be dialed from the UK by adding 00 to it: 00 1 800 000 0000;
Canadian toll free number 1 888 000 0000 would be dialed from the US as is because both countries are in the NANP.
Another way to dial North American toll free numbers from abroad is to replace the toll free "area codes" with other codes introduced years ago:

880 replaces 800 - so the example UK to US call above would become: 00 1 880 000 0000;
881 replaces 888 - again, the example US to Canada call above would be: 1 881 000 0000;
882 replaces 877;
883 replaces 866.
These codes were originally supposed to be used for calls from a NANP country to toll free numbers in another NANP country, allowing the caller and the call receiver to each share their part of the cost (caller would pay international charges and call receiver would pay his national toll free rate). Moreover, according to this official NANPA announcement (PDF doc), these codes were supposedly retired in 2004. However, I have received several reports stating that these codes not only still work as described above, but it seems that they can be used to replace regular North American toll free area codes when dialing from any country.

Universal International Freephone Numbers
International Freephone Numbers are an exception to the rules above. These numbers are assigned a separate country code which is 800. Calls to these numbers are free when dialed from certain countries that have adopted this system. Not many companies have an International Freephone # due to high costs involved with subscribing to this service.

Dialing an international toll free number is the same as placing an international call to a country with country code 800. For example, dialing from the US you would enter: 011 800

This got really off topic....... Sorry mods :eek:

Last edited:
You can dial 800 numbers in the US from Europe. Instead of 800 you dial 880 using the proper country code.
That is not my experience dealing with international customers in my work. They always ask for a tolled number. I think only for larger companies it works because they have a contract on the European side (or whatever region) to connect that number when you dial "0800" and the same number. If you just get a standard toll free number in the USA, AFAIK there is no way to connect to it outside the country (unless you had VOIP like Skype).

Maybe I will ask them to try the 880 trick next time to see if it works.

Edit, a google found that the trick may no longer work since 2004 because NANPA reclaimed the 880, 881, 882 codes for future toll-free usage:
880–882: Codes 880 through 882 were used (until April 1, 2004) to allow international customers to access toll-free numbers they otherwise could not by paying the international portion of the toll. 880 was paired with 800, 881 with 888, and 882 with 877.[13] As of 2008, they were reserved for toll-free area codes, but were not yet in use.
http://nanpa.com/pdf/PL_331_v2.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_Numbering_Plan_area_codes#800.E2.80.93899

Last edited:
From my cellphone company i have unlimited worldwide calls, so i don't worry about that.

So I've just sent an email to Vienna SC to the employee: Tomislav Cubela | Service Advisor | Vienna Last time he helped me to schedule my first appointment. Otherwise I would be waiting even longer then 3 months. I hope he will be able to get me some appointment for this year, at least.

This is the copy of the email. As you may have noticed I use a very simple English because it is a foreign language for me and i am not very good at it.

Hello Mr. Cubela,

I was recently at the service center. For most of the problems there was not enough time to fix them so I need to get another appointment. For that appointment I was waiting for 3 months and i made around 30000 kilometers.

Please do not call me. Please use this email to contact me. I am discussing my car problems and the waiting time for service on TeslaMotorsClub forum. And i need to have it in writing, otherwise some will think that i am a troll.

Here are the problems I need to fix. Some of the problems are very serious and could break the car even more when you let me drive the car for another 30 000 kilometers:

1. The steering wheel makes noise when the car is in the rain or after carwash. They were trying to fix it during the first appointment but instead of fixing it, they made it even worse. Now there is one more noise. Moreover now i feel some kind of tension in the steering wheel, something like a light vibration.

2. Front left wheel makes a strange noise when making sharp turns in slow speeds (when backing). This problem is there since they swap the summer tires for winter tires during the first appointment i had after 3 months wait.

Sunroof is leaking. Since i opened the roof for 5 times, the wind noise inside became so loud that i thought that i have some window open. But now it got even worse. Now it is leaking when raining or after wash. I park outside and i cant wait 3 months for fixing it. Everything is wet inside.

3. A big clanking noise coming from back of the car when accelerating. It's like some part is loose. They recognized this problem but they where not able to fix it.

4. On a bumpy road I hear many kinds of squeaks, creaks, and rattles from the front back and both sides, none of them they were able to fix.

5. The charge port door most of the time doesn't open, they did not fix it.

6. The back lights were fixed but after first wash/rain they are foggy again.

7. When i walk away from the car, the car doesn't lock always. In the settings it is set properly.

Please, let me know when can I come for service. Any time in the week will be fine with me. I will have to find time for it.

PS; I am sending a copy to servicehelpeu, in case i will need to discuss the service times with them.

Thank you very much,

Will let you know their response.

I use the mobile app an many times i see the car did not lock.

This is just an update/refresh issue with the app that I have noticed too. It is a bug in the app, not the car. Your car is (probably) still locking. I've seen this very thing and verified that the car is locked.

I believe if you switch tabs (for instance from controls, to home, then back to controls or something like that) it will refresh. So you can probably take this off your list. Next time you see it, try leaving the key far from the car and walk up to it without the key. If you can press on the handles and they don't extend, the car is locked.

I think all your complaints are legit, especially you have another MS to compare with. When I turn off the radio, I hear some noises from the car, the AC fan is kind of loud when I start the car, since there is no engine noise to cover it, I'm not sure if the noise is acceptable or not, I'll know if it's an ICE car.

I'm lucky living in Southern California, the nearest SC is 10 miles from home, normal wait time is a week. If I know the service wait time is 3+ months, it will be one reason not to own a MS.... okay, who am i kidding, I will still want to buy one.

That number appears to be for Tesla corporate, not for the general public or owners.

He should probably try the numbers listed on the site:
http://www.teslamotors.com/contact

I presume he can not use the toll free numbers because he is not in the USA, so his options may be more limited (only the sales number is listed as local: 650-681-5100).

He mentions Tesla Vienna SC, so perhaps he should try the Austria numbers first:
http://www.teslamotors.com/de_AT/contact?redirect=no

As I noted above, if he is in Europe, a 3 month wait time is not unprecedented because of the limited number of SCs.

Wait, this guy's in Europe? I thought he said he was near Vienna, South Carolina? I'm such an idiot. I might have just given him a US only toll free number. I'm sorry guys.

3 months wait for a service appointment is totally unacceptable. Elon said he wants to build the best service for cars in the world. Well that's a fail right there. But even worse, sending the guy home with only half of the issues fixed and make him wait another 3 month. Are you kidding me?

I guess I'm lucky. The last two times I drove to my service center without an appointment and both times they fixed it by the end of the day!

Wait, this guy's in Europe? I thought he said he was near Vienna, South Carolina? I'm such an idiot. I might have just given him a US only toll free number. I'm sorry guys.
He replied back to you saying that he was able to reach someone using the numbers you provided and they gave him the number and email for Tesla's European branch. So you were able to help him.

Only had a minor glitch so far (black sealant on the outside of the drivers door after fully opening and closing in hot weather). It took no more than a few days to for T to arrange for my MS to be collected and a loaner dropped off last thing on a Friday. I'm in East Herts, UK and the nearest service centre is West Drayton ~ 45 miles away. Fixed car came back Monday morning. MW

I have had wait times of 3-4 months earlier this year. Seen multiple reports of 5-6 months at the worst here in Norway.

That would mean I could have only one service visit under warranty. Because in 6 months I can make around 60000 kilometers. i use the car for work.

But with these problems I have now with the car, i can't continue using the car that much. I will have to drive another fossil car.

So far I haven't received any response from Tesla. I still have no appointment for service.

That would mean I could have only one service visit under warranty. Because in 6 months I can make around 60000 kilometers. i use the car for work.

I'm curious about the nature of your job. If you don't mind me asking, are you a Uber/Lyft or other taxi driver? Are you using the superchargers for all these kms? You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Did you notice the part in your warranty that said you were not supposed to use a mechanical carwash but rather you should hand wash the vehicle? I was surprised to read that too but you should be aware that mechanical car washes will possibly void your car body warranty.

That is misleading. Of course you can use a mechanical carwash, just don't use the underbody spray, and use touchless. I would never buy a car that can only be hand-washed.

Unlike in the US, in EU the consumer protection laws are quite weak.
This depends on the country in question. In Norway we have a mandatory unvoidable 5 year warranty on products intended to last 5 years or more, including cars, appliances, electronics, etc. Even used cars can't really be sold "as is", you have a 5 year warranty that covers defects that were unreasonable to expect. (So, if you buy a 3 year old car with only 10.000 miles, and the transmission is destroyed afther 3 years and another 20.000 miles, you can demand that they fix it.) Even between private parties there's a 2 year warranty for used cars. The courts are also obligated to be biased against the professional party, as they generally have the upper hand in negotiations, etc.