Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA - Certified Used Car Sales Program?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, that's an awful lot of complex, sinister, and risky market manipulation to do for a relatively small amount of return. In light of Tesla's mission, the big potential returns of X, 3, getting China right, etc.... I'm hard pressed to see them spending the cycles to do what you suggest.

I know it seems from forum that EVERYBODY traded in or sold their 85 or P85 to upgrade to D, but I think it's really quite a small % (mostly enthusiasts who are inclined to be active on forum). Of those, judging from anecdote, very few chose to trade in to Tesla because Tesla trade offers were low. Most sold via private sale or to other dealers/wholesalers. So, while used Tesla market increased from almost nonexistent to small as a result of the D (I'm talking 100s not 1,000s), I believe that very small % are Tesla CPO at this time. This myth of stockpiles just doesn't make sense.

I agree with this but I expect the number of S85s and S60s being traded in to be significantly higher for the S85D and MX as they begin to ship later this year.

Anyone have info on the pricing?

Two people asked... so

2013 Black on Black, 85, dual chargers, Tech, Sound, Air, Sunroof. 13,000 miles. Paint Protection Thingy. (I plan to flat black plasti-dip the whole car anyway)

$75,100.00

This is to hold me over from going nuts waiting for my X.

CPO means I got: 6 year, 100,000 bumper to bumper. Reconditioned. Paint fixed, curb rash fixed... they even put on a new nose cone because I asked. (all included).

PA doesn't require a front plate, and I don't want holes in my nose! cone.

Pricing: This was better over another used one I was going to buy:
1. closer to my house by well over 20 hours of driving
2. lower price on car (other was $1k more, but 1 year newer)
3. other car had 15,000 miles
4. other car did NOT have air suspension
5. Tesla (auto trader) gave me more for my trade in!
6. WARRANTY. The S is breaking my budget enough, I can't afford to fix crap. Up front knowing I can drive 4 more years without a worry... priceless.
7. More 'credit' from Tesla? Buying from them vs Joe Blow?
8. I've LOVED every step of the process thus far. They've been amazing, and you'd never know they were selling me a used car. They treated me like I ordered this thing brand new.

And before every one asks: YES I considered new. with AWD and Auto pilot, and the price after tax blah blah blah. I want one NOW, and will spec and buy my X after I see one IN PERSON and drive the damn thing. OK Dokie?

Last edited:
How were you able to get a discount. I thought tesla doesn't negotiate pricing

Inventory car. Walk into any Tesla store and tell them you want a car in their inventory system and they can check (it is regional primarily). For me I'm in Cleveland, Ohio and my car was at a store in Chicago. These cars are service loaners or demo vehicles, discounted at a rate of $1,000 per month and $1 per mile (at least those are the numbers I've heard on these forums). My car carried a $9,500 discount off MSRP, but being owned by Tesla (benefit of not being franchise dealers) it was technically still a new car, and so I bought just before NYE so that I managed to get the $7500 fed tax credit.

Downside to inventory cars right now is that they are 6-months old, so my car pre-dates autopilot. It has the old stalks. It doesn't have some of the new updates that came in the fall of 2014. But that was reflected in the price, naturally. Really, the BEST inventory cars to buy will be later this year, in the fall/winter, when you should be able to find autopilot cars for the same hefty discount!

- - - Updated - - -

And before every one asks: YES I considered new. with AWD and Auto pilot, and the price after tax blah blah blah. I want one NOW, and will spec and buy my X after I see one IN PERSON and drive the damn thing. OK Dokie?

Congrats! Sounds like an awesome ride....

I'm not questioning you specifically, but quoted you because you stated it. I don't see how they can offer a longer warranty on CPO cars than they do on brand new cars. Am I missing something? Are you paying $4k extra to extend the warranty?

It adds 2 years to whatever is left on the cars.
They haven't done a full launch yet but I am told there will be a website and the ability to search for cars in your region.
The inspection and improvement process is very high. I saw some cars in Toronto that looked better than new.
No expense is being spared on reconditioning.

Will not be posted on site.
That's kind of retro of them, isn't it? I wonder why they're doing things that way.

They haven't done a full launch yet but I am told there will be a website and the ability to search for cars in your region.

OK, that makes more sense. :biggrin:

Regarding the used market in general, there was a sudden supply glut due to all the people who wanted to "trade up" to the 85D or autopilot, and this will probably continue for a few months . There will be another short-lived glut when people trade for Model X. In between these glut periods, we can get a better picture of the actual state of the used market. I actually expect that there will be a solid price floor in the $65K region for years to come; it's enough cheaper than a new car that it's tapping into the market of people who want a Model S but simply would not consider paying the new-car price, and I think that market is enormous. We'll probably see some wild fluctuations above that price, so it'll matter when you sell or buy.

I actually expect that there will be a solid price floor in the $65K region for years to come; it's enough cheaper than a new car that it's tapping into the market of people who want a Model S but simply would not consider paying the new-car price, and I think that market is enormous. We'll probably see some wild fluctuations above that price, so it'll matter when you sell or buy.

That's where we are in our household. Could really, really stretch and buy new (likely still an inventory Cary though), or buy used around $65k and be ready to jump on the Model 3 when they are released. At $65k, we are still a bit over 2x the most we've ever spent on a car and near 5x our normal expenditure on one.

New Tesla owner as of today!! Fingers crossed, on a service car after 2 months of watching the Service loaner inventory and used car market nationwide.
First, the P85D. I think everyone who wanted to sell their car said they were upgrading to the P85D.
Secondly, It takes a well priced car to sell.
My universe was about 80 cars out of the 272 on AutoTrader 72 on CarGurus 60 on EBay the ones here at TMC and a few others floating around at dealers. Didn't include any Craigslist listings.
My list only included well priced cars, and I calculated the MSRP based on the options listed if someone didn't include a picture of the window sticker.
Nice to see most sellers are honest and upfront in representing their cars accurately. Anyone who didn't was called out pretty quickly especially the TMClub cars.
The only misleading listings across the internet had to do with the 40 or 60 cars. Sellers tried to cover up the fact they had the smaller battery by just not saying 85. And most of them asked 85 prices. When the 60's came to auction, even well equipped they might get to low 50's.
Interesting were the cars that people wanted to sell now. These cars were 2 to 6 months old, and they just unloaded them at prices 5,000 to 8,000 below market.

So what does it take to buy/sell a Tesla?

Clearly in the P85+ market it was price.
The P85+s sold (5) cars with (12) on the market
The average sold ask was $81,800 16,500 miles and 21 months old and $36,000 off MSRP
Verses average unsold ask $91,700 9,900 miles and 18 months old and $28,000 off MSRP
Lots of unsold P85+ "hanger queens" with 2,3,4,5,000 miles.

P85s that sold (8) verses unsold (18)
The average sold ask was $76,400 with 15,000 miles and 22 months old and $32,000 off MSRP
Verses average unsold ask $82,500 with 15,500 miles and 21 months old and $25,000 off MSRP
No 2014s sold of the (4) on the market.

S85 (12) S85s sold and (12) are still for sale
The average sold ask was $72,800 13,000 miles and 14 months old and $21,000 off MSRP
Verses average unsold ask $72,800 19,700 miles and 17 months old and $18,000 off MSRP
Buyers seemed to want the lower mileage newer cars
Of the (12) S85s that sold (7) were 2014 models.

Interesting that the owners who keep their cars the longest are the P85ers.
Seems people who get the S85 perhaps aren't as "into" their cars, think, we'll give this a try, and grow tirred of the process.
People who commit to the P85s really love the power and made a more significant investment, and stay with the program.
And then the P85+ers who clearly love their car, but are so performance oriented that they have to move to the P85D.

So happy to be taking delivery of an S85 next weeek. I hope I own and enjoy it for a long time!
Thank you for the hundreds of helpful posts on this site that answered a lot of thoughts I have had, Hewlett

P.S. Would be happy to post my spreadsheet, but not sure how exactly.

PPS I have a list of VIN numbers and Build dates that are verified with the black door jamb sticker, happy to share as well.

New Tesla owner as of today!! Fingers crossed, on a service car after 2 months of watching the Service loaner inventory and used car market nationwide.
P.S. Would be happy to post my spreadsheet, but not sure how exactly.

PPS I have a list of VIN numbers and Build dates that are verified with the black door jamb sticker, happy to share as well.

You are my hero. I need to be as structured and organized as you are around this.

Clearly in the P85+ market it was price.
The P85+s sold (5) cars with (12) on the market
The average sold ask was $81,800 16,500 miles and 21 months old and $36,000 off MSRP
Verses average unsold ask $91,700 9,900 miles and 18 months old and $28,000 off MSRP
Lots of unsold P85+ "hanger queens" with 2,3,4,5,000 miles.

P85s that sold (8) verses unsold (18)
The average sold ask was $76,400 with 15,000 miles and 22 months old and $32,000 off MSRP
Verses average unsold ask $82,500 with 15,500 miles and 21 months old and $25,000 off MSRP
No 2014s sold of the (4) on the market.

S85 (12) S85s sold and (12) are still for sale
The average sold ask was $72,800 13,000 miles and 14 months old and $21,000 off MSRP
Verses average unsold ask $72,800 19,700 miles and 17 months old and $18,000 off MSRP
Buyers seemed to want the lower mileage newer cars
Of the (12) S85s that sold (7) were 2014 models.

Interesting that the owners who keep their cars the longest are the P85ers.
Seems people who get the S85 perhaps aren't as "into" their cars, think, we'll give this a try, and grow tirred of the process.
People who commit to the P85s really love the power and made a more significant investment, and stay with the program.
And then the P85+ers who clearly love their car, but are so performance oriented that they have to move to the P85D.

Great analysis! You did a ton of work and it should be helpful to anyone currently in the market for a used Model S.

Pleasure sharing the work that went into it. Thank you for the compliments

Happy to email my spreadsheet to anyone interested. Lists the cars from most aggressively priced to least aggressively priced, based on Options(with MSRP), Age(in months), Miles. Sorted by S85 P85 P85+
Includes colors and options, asking price, VIN Number web links and notes...

[email protected]

Hewlett

I'm not questioning you specifically, but quoted you because you stated it. I don't see how they can offer a longer warranty on CPO cars than they do on brand new cars. Am I missing something? Are you paying $4k extra to extend the warranty?

Sorry; should have clarified: 6 year, 100,000 from the DATE OF FIRST USE.

So it's a 2 year 50,000 mile extension on what the original warranty is/was.

Mine came to me 2013, with 13,000 miles, so I'm covered until 2019 :)

I think so, it was $1k less than the 2014 I was going to buy, AND Tesla gave me 2k more on trade, so I saved $3k AND got the long butt warranty!

I didn't care about the power folding mirrors on the 2014, I would have liked the correctly positioned turn signals, but for $3k.. I'll live. I plan to sell it / trade it in the second I can find a CPO Model X85. So I wasn't too picky on options (other than 85, sound, and tech).

I am trying to decide whether to trade in or sell my s85 in Seattle or trade in. Can you est what tesla would sell a s85k, 19k miles, no tech package but leather seats and air suspension, and pano for? And I'm trying to figure markup from trade in price to their sell price.

Last edited:
I am trying to decide whether to trade in or sell my s85 in Seattle or trade in. Can you est what tesla would sell a s85k, 19k miles, no tech package but leather seats and air suspension, and pano for? And I'm trying to figure markup from trade in price to their sell price.

If you want to do it before July then Tesla is probably your best bet because they'll probably give you more than you could get in a private sale (unless you find and deal with an out of state sale). You're ultimately competing against a new vehicle sale that has the advantage of the tax credit and no sales tax. The sales tax exemption expires in July but it might be extended in some form (probably limited to the first $40k).

I called up the Santa Monica store and asked about CPO. They have started, but refused to share any real details. The guys only stated that they have a "robust inventory". It looks like the CPO process, at least for now, is to go into a store and check the inventory. He said that they have access to all the SoCal inventory, didn't mention nationally.