Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Certified model 3 purchase problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased 2020 certified Tesla model 3 on wed June 28. Delivery was at Colma and you don’t get to test drive prior. I completed purchase in app and at my very first ride off the lot, I observed noise while driving that was consistent, loud and continuous at all speeds that came from back. It felt like windows open which were not. I came back to Colma and they confirmed problem. They told me that it is your car now and we can not do anything as part of certified purchase. They sent to repair at Fremont as they were limited in terms of repair at their facility.
Now in Fremont, there are more repairs happening as we speak, some brake pad reconditioning and now drive unit replacement

I would like to understand what can be done at this time? Given this is certified vehicle, this was not expected. Can this be returned? Any leads, guidance will be appreciated

The first issue you have is thinking this is a "Cerfitied" used car purchase, and its not. Its a used car purchase (they do not do promise a certified car, as that would mean they would have to give you a list of test they performed etc on demand).

Its not a certified vehicle, so whatever option you have is between you and Tesla. Car purchases in CA do not have any cooling off period so there are no leads or guidance to provide you.

I would like to understand what can be done at this time? Given this is certified vehicle, this was not expected. Can this be returned? Any leads, guidance will be appreciated
I wouldn't want to own a lemon and become responsible for taking my time off to fix it.

That's one downside to buying a used Tesla. You have to pre-pay. You can't test drive to make sure it's to your liking... Once you signed the paper, you owned it, and there's no refund.

I agree with @jjrandorin. Unfortunately, it comes with the brand, and you can't do anything now except fix it.

They dont do that for replacing a drive unit on a brand new one, so probably not. Its sounds scary but its not like an engine repair in a ICE vehicle (its much simpler) so it really isnt much to be concerned about. As for your question, I will repeat again that its not a certified car, its a used one, and Teslas obligation is to fulfill the warranty on the car if the warranty is still in place on the car.

You can ask them, but you cant demand (well you can demand but that wont get you anywhere).

Recently purchased a used 2019 through Tesla, after driving for a month I have identified a few problems and Tesla service is fixing them. You get an additional year warranty, so fingers crossed all problems happen within that time frame. That’s the risk I’m taking to save 10k on the car vs buying new

@jjrandorin and @Tam - I went thru the repair hassle for last 2 weeks and Tesla replaced many things such as drive unit, bearings etc. I received the car from service yesterday and things are looking descent. But meanwhile I had also sent email to resolutions@tesla describing the whole situation and today I received the email from them stating that they will be repurchasing the car. I know it will be my decision ultimately, but would like your advice if possible. Pl. reply as time permits

@jjrandorin and @Tam - I went thru the repair hassle for last 2 weeks and Tesla replaced many things such as drive unit, bearings etc. I received the car from service yesterday and things are looking descent. But meanwhile I had also sent email to resolutions@tesla describing the whole situation and today I received the email from them stating that they will be repurchasing the car. I know it will be my decision ultimately, but would like your advice if possible. Pl. reply as time permits
Since you are asking, and they are offering, if it were me, I would replace it.

Since you had a bad time with it, it's fine that you should go ahead and take the repurchasing offer. It's a way out and good for both sides that way.

I purchased 2020 certified Tesla model 3 on wed June 28. Delivery was at Colma and you don’t get to test drive prior. I completed purchase in app and at my very first ride off the lot, I observed noise while driving that was consistent, loud and continuous at all speeds that came from back. It felt like windows open which were not. I came back to Colma and they confirmed problem. They told me that it is your car now and we can not do anything as part of certified purchase. They sent to repair at Fremont as they were limited in terms of repair at their facility.
Now in Fremont, there are more repairs happening as we speak, some brake pad reconditioning and now drive unit replacement

In this day and age, ALWAYS see and drive the vehicle you are going to plunk down a lot of money for. Plus read the contract before you sign it - on the warranties of a CPO. Believe they are just obligated to fix the issue.

Thank you @jjrandorin and @Tam. I was at the service center in person and they will be replacing drive unit. It is extensive repair, do you know if I can pursue repurchase option. Any guidance?
I just went through with a repurchase from Tesla after I bought a 2019 Model 3. I had the car for nine months and there were four separate service requests for the screen going black and/or freezing for long periods of time, making the car unsafe to operate. In CA, you have to give the automaker, under warranty, opportunities to make repairs before you can expect any sort of buyback.

Good info to know. I'm looking at a 2020 used M3 and would like to see if one has the Homelink installed an/or what software. Can you use the VIN of a possible purchase to look up the specs on a car? No test drive and no pre inspection is scary. Also If I buy in another state how do I make sure they won't charge me sales tax twice? I have to pay my sales tax as property tax IN PERSON at the DMV...no way around that in my county in Kansas. How did you navigate that IF it was part of your sale?

Also If I buy in another state how do I make sure they won't charge me sales tax twice? I have to pay my sales tax as property tax IN PERSON at the DMV...no way around that in my county in Kansas. How did you navigate that IF it was part of your sale?
Depends on the states involved. For example, if you buy a vehicle in California, and use it there, you have to pay the CA sales tax. Then when you register it in your state you might have to pay your local sales tax as well unless they have a reciprocal agreement with California. So you could end up paying double taxes.

Depends on the states involved. For example, if you buy a vehicle in California, and use it there, you have to pay the CA sales tax. Then when you register it in your state you might have to pay your local sales tax as well unless they have a reciprocal agreement with California. So you could end up paying double taxes.
True. I have read that as long as you can prove that you live in and will register you car in your own state they have the ability to collect the sales tax and apply it to the state you reside in. I would much rather buy a car with the miles and options that I am looking for and fly there and pick up the car ad drive it home than pay $2,000 to have it transferred and have to wait three weeks. This is on a used Tesla.

True. I have read that as long as you can prove that you live in and will register you car in your own state they have the ability to collect the sales tax and apply it to the state you reside in
Not in California, unless you have the car shipped out of state. If you pickup the car and drive it in California you have to pay CA sales tax. (Most other states have a waiver non-residents can sign to avoid the tax or have reciprocal agreements.)

Reactions: ucmndd