Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla blue star

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“The thing I've always wanted to do, the thing I'm going to do next, is a mass-market car,” said founder and CEO Elon Musk.That mass-market car has been called the Gen III, and details on it are even thinner. Though many of the powertrain components from the Tesla Model S and X can easily be scaled down to fit a smaller car (look at the Toyota RAV4 EV and the Smart ED, both built with Tesla powertrain componentry), the platform would obviously need to be shortened or reworked entirely. Nonetheless, it could be done by 2014.“That's my aspiration, not a promise,” Musk said.

This is the second report I've seen that seems to suggest Elon is considering accelerating BlueStar. Perhaps battery technology has improved faster than previously expected. It seems like we might be looking at a late 2014 launch instead of 2015 or 2016 which was the prior expectation.

Very interesting...

I wonder about the new front motor in AWD Model X.
It doesn't look as big as the main / rear motor.
Is it a new family of Tesla motor? Or are they getting a 3rd party motor for that application?
Whatever it is, maybe it could end up in Bluestar/GEN-III if the big S & X motor is too big and expensive?

I want the Bluestar genIII Model T to be as fast and range worthy as the Model S. Everything that makes it great in a smaller package!
Yes, of course, but costs and size may mean that S/X kWh and HP just isn't possible.
Hopefully they get great performance in the smaller package by having less weight.

Good point. I definitely read somewhere that the front motor was lower horsepower than the back one.

The Model X page says AWD adds 50% torque. Probably the rear motor is the same, so just the front motor might be less than you'd want in the GEN-III cars. I don't think they'd have difficulties building motors of different sizes. The GEN-III motors will probably be carefully optimized for high-volume manufacturing. Whereas the X front motor is probably designed to be built with the same tools as the other motors.

This is the second report I've seen that seems to suggest Elon is considering accelerating BlueStar. Perhaps battery technology has improved faster than previously expected. It seems like we might be looking at a late 2014 launch instead of 2015 or 2016 which was the prior expectation.

Very interesting...

I wonder if Elon is talking about a launch party in February 2014 and deliveries start the end of 2015 (similar time frame as Model X)?

Or might we see a BlueStar launch party in February 2013 with deliveries in late 2014?

Sounds to me like Franz and crew are already hard at work!

P.S. New Roadster comes after Gen III according to article in 2015.

8s is just fine. Still faster than most ordinary ICE cars i.e. non-high/luxury/sport cars.
My first car had 10.5 and was completely usable and quick in ordinary traffic. My current car has 8.5 and is a blast to drive.

Using X's FWD in BlueStar sounds very reasonable from production costs perspective. It depends on gory details if it really is. Developing FWD motor and transmission with fixed gear ratio is not that complicated and expensive. They will probably go with "adapted" FWD for bluestar.

8s is just fine. Still faster than most ordinary ICE cars i.e. non-high/luxury/sport cars.
My first car had 10.5 and was completely usable and quick in ordinary traffic. My current car has 8.5 and is a blast to drive.

Using X's FWD in BlueStar sounds very reasonable from production costs perspective. It depends on gory details if it really is. Developing FWD motor and transmission with fixed gear ratio is not that complicated and expensive. They will probably go with "adapted" FWD for bluestar.

I think the 8+ second range is mostly reserved for fuel sipping vehicles these days, so the bluestar could fall right in there if people are worried about mileage (range). There will undoubtedly be a performance model (why can't they just use "sport"?

As an aside, you use "FWD". Are you saying Forward wheel drive or Full? If "full" you should probably use AWD, less confusing.

8 seconds is nowhere near fuel-sipping vehicles. That's more like 10 - 11. I think some people at the top end of the market are getting spoiled.

I hope Tesla doesn't make Bluestar FWD. By all means use the X front motor but make it RWD.

8 seconds is nowhere near fuel-sipping vehicles. That's more like 10 - 11. I think some people at the top end of the market are getting spoiled.

I hope Tesla doesn't make Bluestar FWD. By all means use the X front motor but make it RWD.

I regularly watch all CarTech reviews from CNET. 8s seems to be the lowest I've seen any fuel-sipping vehicles get. Do more get higher numbers? Of course. That's why I said "8+" and not just "8".

You guys are setting the bar WAY to low. This is Elon. He wants to make better cars. With the comparable sized BMW 3 series at a 0-60 of 5.4 seconds (Edmunds) why would you think Tesla would not at minimum hit that?

By the way, fun to read this ranking of the BMW BMW 328i :
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/BMW_3-Series/Performance/

• "It still sets the standard for sheer driving chops in its segment, and the new turbo four is a nice piece of work, more powerful and efficient...
  • "Whatever the purists might believe, this engine is born to run with the eight-speed automatic. It's a lovely device and, in our test car, had the optional paddle shifters which is a tacit admission from BMW that the old model's push-pull paddle shift arrangement was, well, silly.
The turbo four, called N20 internally, displayed no lag to speak of, but it did at times sound much like a diesel. At start-up and idle, the clack-clack-clack from the rockers and the vibrations they send through the cabin very much resemble that of an oil burner. The effect is especially noticeable when the stop/start feature is on; taking off from every stop sign sends shivers, both palpable and audible, through the car. Otherwise, it is remarkably quiet on the road, with little tire noise and less engine noise to speak of." -- AutoWeek (sedan)

So much dialog on engine shifters, turbo, noise and general engine crap that the bluestar will have none of. Just hope Peter comes back for the handling part.

You guys are setting the bar WAY to low. This is Elon. He wants to make better cars. With the comparable sized BMW 3 series at a 0-60 of 5.4 seconds (Edmunds) why would you think Tesla would not at minimum hit that?
Probably we are / I am.
Acceleration in an EV is limited by controller max amps and traction. Technically there shouldn't be many reasons not to offer ~5s acceleration but then there comes but. BlueStar needs to be cheap. That BMW 3 that hits 5,4 costs a bit over the target price for a BlueStar. Battery will need to be smaller (and hence cheaper), efficiency will need to be higher and tires as slim as possible. Insufficient traction for 5s 0-60 times.

FWD means Front-Wheel-Drive. It does not destroy your rear tires in a week and driving around a corner is not like a roulette. I would want a FWD BlueStar with 4WS (four wheel steering) like I have now. It's a blast!