Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other than the obvious benefit of the Tesla connector being profoundly better in every meaningful way, what exactly is the benefit to Ford or its customers? Tesla superchargers are already available to anyone, anywhere, worldwide, with the exception of some American stations which have not *yet* been software unlocked.

So really, all this Ford deal means is that Ford owners won't have to use adapters at Superchargers, but will have to use adapters at work, grocery stores, airports, and all non-Tesla fast chargers. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it and hope to see others follow suit. The Tesla standard is just so vastly superior it's not even in the same ballpark, and we as a society would do ourselves a big favor by choosing the correct standard instead of something so obviously stupid and wrong, like CCS. I just don't understand Ford's motivation, today.

Tesla superchargers are already available to anyone, anywhere, worldwide, with the exception of some American stations which have not *yet* been software unlocked.

Only some of the Superchargers are available to everyone.

Ford is adopting NACS for North America. Tesla's plan, negotiated with the Biden administration for IRA to get approval for charging infrastructure subsidies, was for eventually to have roughly half or 7500 American Superchargers available to everyone. It did not mean every charging stall at all of those 7500 Superchargers.

When there are 15k Superchargers in the USA Ford customers will have access to all of them, at all the stalls, with easy payment through FordPass not having to download Tesla App and enter CC information.

I am not sure what the plan was for in Canada and Mexico to give Supercharger access to CCS cars but now Ford customers will have access to all Canadian and Mexican Superchargers as well.

Edit These are the networks included in the FordPass network. Electrify America®, Shell Recharge Solutions™, Chargepoint®, EVgo, EVConnect™, SemaConnect™, FLO® and Electric Circuit. And soon Tesla Supercharger Network. You will just need one adapter to access them all. Old Ford BEVs will need a CCS to NACS adapter and Ford BEVs 2.0 will need a NACS to CCS adapter.

Last edited:
Tesla superchargers are already available to anyone, anywhere, worldwide, with the exception of some American stations which have not *yet* been software unlocked.
Not true at all. Only some of the Superchargers in Europe are open to everyone. (Maybe even most are there.) But in America is it totally different. It is not an "exception of some American stations". There are only 12 of the ~2,000 North American sites that are open via the MagicDock. There is no software unlock for the remaining ones. And Tesla has only committed to putting MagicDocks on ~3,500 stalls by the end of 2024, which will be less than 10% of the Supercharger network at that point.

The "MagicDock" is nifty, but all you currently need to charge any car at any Tesla station is an adapter and a software unlock. And considering that charging stations are becoming a public necessity akin to gas stations, it won't be long before the government forces Tesla to unlock their software.

Imagine if Exxon and Buick made some backroom agreement to electronically block Chevy owners from refueling at Exxon stations. How long would that last?

1685224810991.png

The "MagicDock" is nifty, but all you currently need to charge any car at any Tesla station is an adapter and a software unlock. And considering that charging stations are becoming a public necessity akin to gas stations, it won't be long before the government forces Tesla to unlock their software.

Imagine if Exxon and Buick made some backroom agreement to electronically block Chevy owners from refueling at Exxon stations. How long would that last?

View attachment 941739
Until Exxon decided to cancel it.

The US isn't the EU or China.

I don't see the US government forcing Tesla to open their network.

That is why the Biden administration negotiated with Tesla.

The Feds have done this in the past. You must agree to the Feds terms to get Federal money.

There is less chance now the Feds forcing Tesla to open the Supercharger network with Ford lobbyist on Tesla's side. And Tesla giving partial access to half the network. There are a roughly a dozen other networks available to CCS drivers as well.

If Ford wanted to build out gas stations for only Fords in the early 1900s they would have been free to do so.

Reactions: gglockner and KJD

The Federal government has chosen to back CCS. Why would they want force Tesla to open up their non-CCS chargers? :p

I don't see it happening here. Even when the EU imposed CCS by law, it wasn't backdated, it just affected new installations.

The Federal government has chosen to back CCS. Why would they want force Tesla to open up their non-CCS chargers? :p

I don't see it happening here. Even when the EU imposed CCS by law, it wasn't backdated, it just affected new installations.

Ford probably came to the conclusion that not only is Tesla ahead of everyone in the charging world by sheer numbers, but Tesla's tech is also better tech and easier to use connectors.

Those CCS fast charging connectors are pretty large. Someone who is smaller might struggle to maneuver that thing. A relatively small kid can handle a Tesla charging plug quite easily and the charging plug is universal to application, it's the same for both DC and AC chargers.

Someone in another thread or possibly this one posted a video made by Edmunds where they did a tow test between a Ford F150 Lightning and a Rivian over a route from the suburbs of Los Angeles, over the Grapevine, out to Mojave, and back. They talked about the roulette you have to play with CCS charges working or not. That's much less of a problem with Tesla chargers. I have run into some superchargers with problems, but it's much rarer with superchargers than with CCS.

CCS is also way behind with very fast chargers. There are a lot of 50KW CCS chargers around, but the high power chargers are few and far between. It also require some digging to find out whether the CCS charger you're headed to is high power or not. It's a lot of work that takes someone with some skill to sort out. With Tesla, you can know for sure that the slowest chargers are still three times the power of the slower CCS chargers and you can almost be certain that there will be some stalls working fine when you get there. You may have to wait, but at least you know when you plug in you're probably not going to be stuck there for 2-3 hours waiting to get enough to get to the next charger.

I have never used a non-Tesla fast charger, but I have seen videos and read articles from people who have and the experience difference is night and day. No worries about entering your credit card information, worries about which network the charger is on, worries about the speed of the charger, worries about whether the chargers are all down, or whether the two chargers available at the location are in use with a line. There are some small supercharger locations, the smallest I've seen is 5, but all of those locations now have alternatives with a large number of chargers fairly close by. Unless you pull in with 1% state of charge, you can make it to the larger location nearby.

View attachment 941739

FYI, that adapter is going in the wrong direction. Also, I couldn't find any adapter for CCS users to be able to use Tesla superchargers. Can you provide an example of one?

• Helpful
Reactions: Dikkie Dik
FYI, that adapter is going in the wrong direction. Also, I couldn't find any adapter for CCS users to be able to use Tesla superchargers. Can you provide an example of one?
There is understandable confusion from that picture @Gauss Guzzler posted.
If the device existed as listed in the image text, it would be a Tesla SpC to CCS1 adapter (note CCS connector has the latch, so it is not a CCS charger to Tesla vehicle adapter).
However, the watermarked website does not sell such an item. The image is from their page discussing the Magic Dock and is a rendering of what a Tesla->CCS1 adapter might look like, when/ if it exists.Magic Dock & Tesla to CCS Adapter • Charge non-Tesla at Supercharger • Ultimate Guide
The device pictured looks like a tweaked image of a CCS1 cable connector with a black clamp.
As found on Ebay:
SmartSelect_20230528_061316_Firefox.jpg