Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla back to radar? What happens to

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has also just entered into an agreement with Samsung to produce multi-megapixel cameras instead of the current 1 megapixel units. This change will likely happen within a year or so Tesla time. The radar will require a complete rewrite of the FSD software, and a change to start installing it in producing newer cars. This will likely take longer, and it will likely eventually become a separate software release over time that legacy cars made now will not get. They will complete the basic FSD coding going on now to provide a FSD system limited by current hardware. I doubt Tesla will be retrofitting new processors, cameras, and radars in any current cars.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
I would think Tesla would do whatever necessary to provide updated hardware for legacy cars if necessary for the FSD we’ve purchased. I don’t see Tesla offering to refund $6-12K. They should be able to retrofit for far less.

If Tesla commits to retrofitting, so keeps their word, they’ll go a long way toward restoring faith in the company. If they leave legacy owners out, their word will be meaningless. There are a lot of legacy Teslas now and a large number of us have purchased FSD. I think those purchases did a lot to keep Tesla going during the lean years. It’s time for Elon to roll up his sleeves and honor his commitments. It’s time to choose whether Tesla becomes a company that continues to forcefully grow or becomes another Studebaker.