Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla announced it will offer FSD to competitors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla announced today that it will be offering licensing of the company’s Autopilot and Full Self Driving features to rival automakers. Apparently according to news reports, Tesla is not considered the leader in the FSD technology. Lots of problems trying to get FSD to SAE level 5. My car is stuck at 2023.7.20 which is about a level 3. FORD AND GM have competing technologies.

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
"Tesla is in early discussions to license its Full Self-Driving software to a major automaker, CEO Elon Musk said during the Q2 Earnings Call."

So place your bets! Who is the mystery automaker? Or is Elon making it up?

I see speculation on Twitter that it could be Ford. I am not sure. Ford has been making progress with Blue Cruise and I think they announced their own team called Latitude AI to work on FSD. Ford is creating a new division to lead its partial autonomy and hands-free driving tech So it would be odd for them to quit now and go with Tesla's FSD.

I am also skeptical because we know FSD has some PR baggage with past accidents. Also, there are many companies who disagree with Tesla's lack of sensor redundancy. So not sure a major automaker would want to be associated with Tesla's FSD.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Tesla announced today that it will be offering licensing of the company’s Autopilot and Full Self Driving features to rival automakers. Apparently according to news reports, Tesla is not considered the leader in the FSD technology. Lots of problems trying to get FSD to SAE level 5. My car is stuck at 2023.7.20 which is about a level 3. FORD AND GM have competing technologies.
A few things with this:

Ford doesn't have a competing technology now, they have announced a new company to do this, but Blue Cruise is not trying to self-drive. It's hands off level 2 and that's the ceiling for it, currently.

GM has something coming, but nothing now that does what FSD Beta does.

2023.7.20 is the newest version.

FSD Beta is level 2, not 3 or like 3.

100% agree that there are years (maybe even 10+) before any company reaches level 5, including Waymo.

More like while on the phone with Tesla about using its supercharging network. Tesla kept offering to pitch them about FSD and finally someone obliged and said "Lets hear it!"

Turns into Musk hyping it up for marketing and stock gain.

That's why I mentioned that Elon could be making it up. I could definitely see Elon on a call about superchargers, trying to get a carmaker to take FSD. LOL. And yes, Elon likes to hype it. Already, I see the Tesla Bulls on Twitter saying it is "game over" because soon every carmaker is going to just use Tesla FSD.

This from US News ( and world report). “ Ford’s active driver assistance system, “BlueCruise” was touted by Consumer Reports as the top-rated system of its kind in January, beating out the GM’s Super Cruise. Consumer Reports said Tesla systems fell into the middle of the pack.” Maybe Tesla should concentrate on getting it right before marketing FSD to other companies as a additional income source? I saw the market didnt like the announcement.

A few things with this:

Ford doesn't have a competing technology now, they have announced a new company to do this, but Blue Cruise is not trying to self-drive. It's hands off level 2 and that's the ceiling for it, currently.

GM has something coming, but nothing now that does what FSD Beta does.

2023.7.20 is the newest version.

FSD Beta is level 2, not 3 or like 3.

100% agree that there are years (maybe even 10+) before any company reaches level 5, including Waymo.
As for Waymo.
They are two different systems. Tesla’s self-driving is supposed to work everywhere, instantly in real time, without use of lidar, etc. Waymo’s is geofenced to particular cities. Meaning Waymo would basically have to map out the world in order for it to work properly.

• Funny
Reactions: spacecoin
That's why I mentioned that Elon could be making it up. I could definitely see Elon on a call about superchargers, trying to get a carmaker to take FSD. LOL. And yes, Elon likes to hype it. Already, I see the Tesla Bulls on Twitter saying it is "game over" because soon every carmaker is going to just use Tesla FSD.
Yeah those people don't use logic. They can't tell the difference between supercharging license which doesn't require anything but adding a plug. versus spending thousands of dollars per unit (hardware cost + margin) to license FSD.

I can't imagine any major automaker being serious or dumb enough. More likely a competitor was pumping for competitive info.
If this is serious, then its at the expense of Mobileye and would mean Mobileye is doing something wrong.
Now this is from Mobileye earnings call from April so take it with a grain of salt.
But notice the difference in language than what Musk was mouthing off.

"Moving on to SuperVision, we have a large number of serious discussions ongoing as well as development activities regarding the premium European OEM we mentioned on our January call funding from the OEM for serious production development work begun earlier in Q1 and the formal nomination and contract signing is now down to formalities. Additional brands of this group are expected to adopt SuperVision as the carryover technology on shared platforms.

We're also engaged in the concept development phase, including funding from the customer with the U.S. based OEM that is expected to conclude with the design win in the second half of this year."

This from US News ( and world report). “ Ford’s active driver assistance system, “BlueCruise” was touted by Consumer Reports as the top-rated system of its kind in January, beating out the GM’s Super Cruise. Consumer Reports said Tesla systems fell into the middle of the pack.” Maybe Tesla should concentrate on getting it right before marketing FSD to other companies as a additional income source? I saw the market didnt like the announcement.
BlueCruise adn SuperCruise are EAP, they don't offer nor aspire to what FSD is trying, regardless of how well it works. They can only be activated on select divided highways.

As for Waymo.
They are two different systems. Tesla’s self-driving is supposed to work everywhere, instantly in real time, without use of lidar, etc. Waymo’s is geofenced to particular cities. Meaning Waymo would basically have to map out the world in order for it to work properly.
Right. My point is no one is close to level 5. Waymo and Cruise are level 4, Tesla FSD and EAP are level 2.

Reactions: pilotSteve
If this is serious, then its at the expense of Mobileye and would mean Mobileye is doing something wrong.
Now this is from Mobileye earnings call from April so take it with a grain of salt.
But notice the difference in language than what Musk was mouthing off.

"Moving on to SuperVision, we have a large number of serious discussions ongoing as well as development activities regarding the premium European OEM we mentioned on our January call funding from the OEM for serious production development work begun earlier in Q1 and the formal nomination and contract signing is now down to formalities. Additional brands of this group are expected to adopt SuperVision as the carryover technology on shared platforms.

We're also engaged in the concept development phase, including funding from the customer with the U.S. based OEM that is expected to conclude with the design win in the second half of this year."

Mobileye would be a shocker. They seems more intellectually honest versus Elon/FSD and aren't a one trick pony. I was thinking 'competitor' as being another auto manufacturer. I could picture technical leadership from GM, Ford, or Stellantis talking what-if nonsense with someone from Tesla.

Opinions on who would license from Tesla?
I think Ford as they have the most admiration for Tesla tech.
And you said the same thing about the NACS plug.

Unlike what Consumer Reports says, everyone else knows how crappy their system is.

I was reading an article this week about a new Blue Cruise release. The most telling part was the
"In the last release they added lane changing"

Really, that was like 4 years ago for Tesla.

It's going to be like Tesla has done to the price of FSD, over time, the price is going to go up. Tesla is now giving the other manufacturers a chance to get in while the price is low.

Right. My point is no one is close to level 5. Waymo and Cruise are level 4, Tesla FSD and EAP are level 2.
Honestly, the labels of the level are worthless. It is very possible that a Level 2 system go to a Level 5 in one day. The original definitions of the labels just don't make sense anymore, especially the way that Tesla is implementing it.
My guess is that Tesla will look at the level of disengagements and once that hits an acceptable number, just start removing the monitoring requirements.

There are many people that have taken their Teslas on large numbers of trips with no disengagements. That number is only going to get higher.

And that's a capability that NO ONE ELSE can claim.

Honestly, the labels of the level are worthless. It is very possible that a Level 2 system go to a Level 5 in one day. The original definitions of the labels just don't make sense anymore, especially the way that Tesla is implementing it.
My guess is that Tesla will look at the level of disengagements and once that hits an acceptable number, just start removing the monitoring requirements.

There are many people that have taken their Teslas on large numbers of trips with no disengagements. That number is only going to get higher.

And that's a capability that NO ONE ELSE can claim.
It's not possible. The levels do have meanings. Tesla cannot drive anywhere with no driver present. Much less "drive anywhere in any condition".

Currently the disengagement rate is pretty bad from the community sourced information. There's a long way to go before it can be level 3, much less level 4. There are many in the industry that do not believe level 5 is actually possible.

I'd bet it's some obscure company like Aptera.
Elon said they were in "very early" discussions with a "major OEM". I don't think this means Aptera or any other niche maker.

OTOH, very early discussions could be nothing more than a passing comment within a call about NACS adoption or something like that.

(By the way, remember how last year's news of Tesla's offer to make NACS a standard was widely derided and scoffed at around here- what a difference we see now.)

It could well be Ford, but again we don't know what "early discussions" really means. There's no reason for Jim Farley or Mary Barra to slam the door on Tesla when they themselves don't have any clear path.

And finally, news reports as well as Consumer Reports' analysis, of Tesla's relative position in the self-driving sweepstakes, are less than worthless. As always, if you know anything about it yourself, you know more than these people do. And that's before the distortion field of click-generating considerations is applied. We are way past the era of these publications and websites having any information authority.

Elon said they were in "very early" discussions with a "major OEM". I don't think this means Aptera or any other niche maker.

OTOH, very early discussions could be nothing more than a passing comment within a call about NACS adoption or something like that.

(By the way, remember how last year's news of Tesla's offer to make NACS a standard was widely derided and scoffed at around here- what a difference we see now.)

It could well be Ford, but again we don't know what "early discussions" really means. There's no reason for Jim Farley or Mary Barra to slam the door on Tesla when they themselves don't have any clear path.

And finally, news reports as well as Consumer Reports' analysis, of Tesla's relative position in the self-driving sweepstakes, are less than worthless. As always, if you know anything about it yourself, you know more than these people do. And that's before the distortion field of click-generating considerations is applied. We are way past the era of these publications and websites having any information authority.
Elon likes to stretch meanings, definitions, reality..."major", "very early" could be similar to "exoskeleton" "2 weeks" "this year" or "waiting for a software update"