Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s pretty obvious even from a distance, especially when following what cars are handling our swiss cheese roads better than others. I wasn’t prepared to even try and keep up with them.
There is a stretch of road I have to try to get along in my early MIC Model Y. I know exactly what you mean. Anything less than smooth new asphalt sees me having to reduce progress to a relative crawl.

I guess that's what happens when you churn out cars without testing them in different environments or countries, and rely on over the air updates to try to get them to work.

There is a stretch of road I have to try to get along in my early MIC Model Y. I know exactly what you mean. Anything less than smooth new asphalt sees me having to reduce progress to a relative crawl.

I guess that's what happens when you churn out cars without testing them in different environments or countries, and rely on over the air updates to try to get them to work.
They don’t test them in different environments and countries?

People sometimes just make things up to match their own imagined scenarios.
Think what you like. The suspension on the MIC Model Y is utter dogshit. Tesla conceded as much when they had to revise it for UK market within months of launch as even fanboi reviewers described it as appalling. But hey, I guess being jostled around like being in a moshpit is a feature not a bug to Tesla apologists.

Reactions: T1GER5HARK
Think what you like. The suspension on the MIC Model Y is utter dogshit. Tesla conceded as much when they had to revise it for UK market within months of launch as even fanboi reviewers described it as appalling. But hey, I guess being jostled around like being in a moshpit is a feature not a bug to Tesla apologists.

Does the UK Tesla Model Y have different suspension components to those supplied in other countries? I was under the impression that the suspension had been improved for all markets in more recent cars. If this was a change that was required specifically because of UK roads then I bow to your greater knowledge. [Go easy on the inflammatory language ... it doesn't add anything to your points.]

Does the UK Tesla Model Y have different suspension components to those supplied in other countries? I was under the impression that the suspension had been improved for all markets in more recent cars. If this was a change that was required specifically because of UK roads then I bow to your greater knowledge. [Go easy on the inflammatory language ... it doesn't add anything to your points.]
No. They changed it in the US last year and have just changed it in China:

Last year Tesla updated the suspension of the Model Y built in North America, calling the new setup ‘Comfort Suspension.’ Tesla China has now confirmed that Comfort Suspension has also been added to the production lines at Giga Shanghai, while also providing some new details about the upgraded feature.

Reactions: Adopado
Volvo XC40 recharge (all electric) I think is worth a look but like all alternatives there are a few things that are better and others aspects that can’t compete with Tesla.
Volvo electronics are the worst in the business...and that’s on their ice cars..I wouldn’t trust the electric car to be reliable and I certainly wouldn’t trust their dealer network to be able to more than scratch their head, change the wrong part and charge you a non-refundable fortune.....just my opinion 😎

Is it that bad?

Would you say it’s under-damped / too firm / harsh or crashy?

Wondering if anyone has fitted aftermarket upgrades. Seems like this model is ripe for it. I guess not if they’re mostly leased or on PCP deals.

Reactions: Js1977
Lots of opinions presented as fact with no proof provided.
There are no facts..your car (of whatever make) could be a Friday car, a lemon...or a Wednesday car that’s never let you down
Many Tesla owners are elderly...and between us we’ve owned a LOT of cars...so all we can give is our opinion based on our experience....but when people flock to an industry disrupter like Elon...you have to ask why

Volvo electronics are the worst in the business...and that’s on their ice cars..I wouldn’t trust the electric car to be reliable and I certainly wouldn’t trust their dealer network to be able to more than scratch their head, change the wrong part and charge you a non-refundable fortune.....just my opinion 😎
Volvo has worst electronics!? are you sure about that!?

So you think they brought up model Y to UK to test before start selling it in UK? You sure?!

No. I didn't claim that. However I don't doubt that the Model Y was tested in "different environments". And I don't think that the suspension revisions were from suddenly realising that UK roads were so different to the rest of the world! Seems like a good thing that any car company should make changes to improve on their initial efforts. For all markets. I don't think many (any?) vehicles arrive on the market as a new model without revisions to the initial design after the first period of use? Many people refuse to buy a newly released model for the very reason that early examples are unlikely to be without issues. I don't defend Tesla over any other vehicle manufacturer but I also don't make out that Tesla is somehow worse than every other based on my own imagined version of their failings.

Reactions: init6 and KennethS
No. I didn't claim that. However I don't doubt that the Model Y was tested in "different environments". And I don't think that the suspension revisions were from suddenly realising that UK roads were so different to the rest of the world! Seems like a good thing that any car company should make changes to improve on their initial efforts. For all markets. I don't think many (any?) vehicles arrive on the market as a new model without revisions to the initial design after the first period of use? Many people refuse to buy a newly released model for the very reason that early examples are unlikely to be without issues. I don't defend Tesla over any other vehicle manufacturer but I also don't make out that Tesla is somehow worse than every other based on my own imagined version of their failings.
to be fair, the main reason for suspension revision might be the fact that almost all reviewers said that ride is crap and very hard, therefore they made changes