Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 isn't perfect, but after a full day rental this BMW driver is buying one!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you should have a long chat with an engineer about the wisdom of completely ignoring a maintenance schedule.

Do you ignore changing the oil on any of your ICE vehicles? If not, why?

And then next post :
That's probably because those years are nothing other than expensive inspections

Cognitive dissonance anyone? :)

I actually agree most with your second post. This is of course the case with ICE vehicles as well. 30-100 point inspections consisting mostly of a tech eating some chips while he shines a flashlight around the engine compartment :)

• Funny
Reactions: davedavedave
And then next post :

Cognitive dissonance anyone? :)

I actually agree most with your second post. This is of course the case with ICE vehicles as well. 30-100 point inspections consisting mostly of a tech eating some chips while he shines a flashlight around the engine compartment :)

The argument was that routine maintenance isn't necessary on ICE vehicles either, which is patently false.

The Model 3 requires very little maintenance and if someone wants to get overpriced inspections to make sure nothing is going amiss that's their prerogative.

ICE cars can and do need regular maintenance, even if it's just an oil change every year. In many (all) cases with internal combustion vehicles, blowing off routine maintenance will catch up with you eventually, if not in the form of a catastrophic failure and expensive repair then degraded performance that turns your car into a slug with crappy brakes.

Reactions: davedavedave
I think you should have a long chat with an engineer about the wisdom of completely ignoring a maintenance schedule.

Do you ignore changing the oil on any of your ICE vehicles? If not, why?
I changed my ICE oil religiously, and generally ignored any other recommended service intervals, instead waiting until my local mechanic said that it was time...it's crazy to me to adhere to the mfr recommended service intervals given the business model in the ICE world revolves around heavy dealer service revenues. That said, my plans for Model 3 are borne out of my 6.5+ flawless, maintenance-free years with a 2012 Nissan LEAF, which is 2010 engineering at best. If Tesla of 2018 isn't at least as good as Nissan EV of 2010, then Tesla deserves to fail IMO. If the forums eventually indicate a need to actually do all the stuff Tesla says for me to do, then I'll naturally reconsider in due course. But if those services were really important, IMO they'd be required in order to keep the warranty intact.

I changed my ICE oil religiously, and generally ignored any other recommended service intervals, instead waiting until my local mechanic said that it was time...it's crazy to me to adhere to the mfr recommended service intervals given the business model in the ICE world revolves around heavy dealer service revenues. That said, my plans for Model 3 are borne out of my 6.5+ flawless, maintenance-free years with a 2012 Nissan LEAF, which is 2010 engineering at best. If Tesla of 2018 isn't at least as good as Nissan EV of 2010, then Tesla deserves to fail IMO. If the forums eventually indicate a need to actually do all the stuff Tesla says for me to do, then I'll naturally reconsider in due course. But if those services were really important, IMO they'd be required in order to keep the warranty intact.

In the case of the Model 3, Tesla have been quite upfront in what the actual service items are. They recommend annual inspections but service items (other than tires, wipers, fluid, cabin filters) are only needed at the 2 and 4 year intervals. They require (or at least do with the S/X) that you pay for those inspections if you want to purchase an extended warranty. Every owner for themselves must decide if this is worth it since the annual Tesla service is somewhat absurdly expensive for what they are doing.

Now, you commented initially that you don't follow maintenance schedules and you implied you simply don't do maintenance. This is in general just a very bad idea. While your mechanic might be fairly competent, those maintenance intervals are set for a reason. Does your mechanic take the transmission fluid and analyze it with test strips or by sending it to a lab or does he ignore it until your transmission fails? There's a reason the manufacturer would recommend changing it at a specific interval like 5 years or 60,000 miles.... because humans make lots of mistakes, forget things, etc., and most people don't want to foot the $3,000 bill for a transmission replacement after the warranty is up.

Rear differential fluid? Yeah, better off not waiting for that to coast until you have a failure either. Same with timing belt, spark plugs, etc.

Now, I have met a LOT of people over the years who purchase a car, drive it for 7 or 8 years, ignore all of this stuff and then dump the car on the next owner, right around the time all of this stuff that has been ignored is likely to start failing. Hell I know people that have avoided changing brake pads, a cheap maintenance item and instead rode around until the rotors and drums were destroyed. This is why I never buy a used car where I can't access the service records.

I guess my point is that with most vehicles, your car will last longer, have fewer problems and offer better performance over the life of the car if you follow the maintenance schedule. For the budget minded you can always use a shop that will do things like check the health of fluids to determine if they need changing, but if they aren't sending to a lab and just use a test strip kit, even then you are kind of rolling the dice.

We are in agreement that ideally the maintenance on the Tesla should be minimal, but I'd still recommend doing the brake fluid flush at 2 years and the battery coolant at 4 years since that's more or less all the "major" things the car really needs. You can always have Tesla inspect all the other stuff (loose bolts, missing fasteners, health of 12V battery etc.) at those times.

How many miles does that marvel have ? My 5 year old LEAF has under 30k. So while it has not had any mechanical problems, that is not saying much.
73.5k on the LEAF thus far. Am trying to convince myself to hold onto it 'forever' just to see how long/far it will go. But my commuting days are finally over, so its mileage rate is now sub-8k/yr. It will have a place in the garage until Model Y is available, at which time I'll face the interesting decision of whether to swap 2012 LEAF for 2020(?) Model Y, or swap 2018 Model 3 for 2020 Model Y and retain the LEAF for another round. It is nice to have an old vehicle for taking the dogs to the park/etc...currently hard to imagine me ever relegating Model 3 to such duty!

We are in agreement that ideally the maintenance on the Tesla should be minimal, but I'd still recommend doing the brake fluid flush at 2 years and the battery coolant at 4 years since that's more or less all the "major" things the car really needs. You can always have Tesla inspect all the other stuff (loose bolts, missing fasteners, health of 12V battery etc.) at those times.
Thank you. Yes my initial (poorly made) point was that my LEAF has been a flawless operator for 6.5+ years and counting, with me completely ignoring any maintenance advice from dealer-profit-centric Nissan, and so I'd expect Tesla's 2018 engineering to be at least as sound as Nissan's of 2010. But due to the cost of Model 3, I'll very likely concede and do the items you mention here.

I just handed a 2000 Ford Expedition that I bought new to a buddy of mine who needs a tank for his new 16yr old driver. The Expy has been fantastic, despite me ignoring the mfr's instructions (other than synthetic oil every 6k, and brake pads/rotors/tires as needed) and going with my local guy's advice now and then. TCO of 22 cents/mile by the time I handed her off last month. That's admittedly the longest I've ever owned a car, but have had similar experience with the other cars along the way (a dozen or so). But I get that my experiences are purely anecdotal, and therefore understand your approach to the topic as well. For me it comes down to wanting to minimize the number of people who lack a vested interest in my vehicles touching my vehicles.

74k miles is pretty high mileage for a LEAF.
Bingo. I'm with you; on conventional cars (and Model 3LR) I view the first 100k miles as the break-in period, tongue half in cheek. Any vehicle should reliably get me 200k miles these days. But with the LEAF range limit, indeed 73k+ is a fairly high mileage vehicle. There's just little that can break in a car as simple as the LEAF. I've had one window switch go bad...$21.00. That's it. There's still no record of any LEAF owner on earth replacing brake pads, which is pretty awesome. No wonder my tire guy grumbles when I roll in there every 6k miles for the "free" rotation and balance...he can't upsell me on anything. I do love that the Nissan dealer includes me on their oil change special postcard mailers...20th century marketing at its finest.

Thank you. Yes my initial (poorly made) point was that my LEAF has been a flawless operator for 6.5+ years and counting, with me completely ignoring any maintenance advice from dealer-profit-centric Nissan, and so I'd expect Tesla's 2018 engineering to be at least as sound as Nissan's of 2010. But due to the cost of Model 3, I'll very likely concede and do the items you mention here...
My LEAF also needed no repairs in 4+ years. My 2014 S60 has needed a lot of service. All of it has been under warranty, but it is still a nuisance even when some is handled by Rangers. Now that my 50k mile warranty is about to expire I will roll the dice and hope for not much more that needs to be repaired. Tesla service is quite expensive, to put it mildly.

I hope that the 2018s are a lot more like the LEAF than the older Tesla models, as you suggest.

I don't think of 74k miles as anywhere near a high mileage car that has passed my test of reliability for the long haul. I'd categorize it as "just past warranty."

And actually, 74k miles is pretty high mileage for a LEAF. The low rate of use typical of LEAFs is why I tend to object to characterizing them as reliable.
74k miles is rookie numbers. My 2005 Honda Accord has over 225k lol.

he responsiveness of an EV seems to immediately deprecate any ICE. We just got back from Iceland and drove an ICE rental, and my wife and I repeatedly pointed out the lag in accelerator response.
That is a common opinion and it probably resonates with a BMW owner but it is not mine. I just don't stomp on the go pedal much at all.
It is not necessary to “stomp” on the pedal to appreciate the responsiveness of the EV powertrain. It’s apparent in routine driving.
The issue for me, and probably many others, is Tesla’s repeated assertion that this is a luxury car designed to be better than the industry standard luxury cars already on the market.

I can overlook some of the shortcomings against the competition in these areas at the nearly $60,000 asking price...
Your position is the same as many prospective Model S buyers took in the early years of production, and is still valid: Teslas do not have all the bells and whistles and interior refinements that their price class competitors have. But for many buyers that doesn’t matter because overall Teslas have many advantages due to the nature of their electric drivetrain, the superior battery range (whether it is the base or the long range battery) the extraordinary touchscreen interface, the OTA updates, and of course the extensive and still expanding Supercharger network.

Back in 2012 Tesla thought that the global market might support maybe 25,000 Model S sales per year. And of course the competition scoffed at such an assertion: “No way will anywhere near that many people pay that much for such a weird vehicle!” (My paraphrasing). No one imagined that Tesla could possibly achieve the sales numbers we have now become used to.

The Model 3 is experiencing the same pattern. Despite its shortcomings in some areas compared to the competition in its price class, it appears to me that it will significantly outsell long established market leaders like the BMW 3 series and 4 series , Mercedes C Class and Audi S3 and 4. Even at this early stage in Model 3 production it is taking major market share in the US and crushing BMW. That trend seems certain to continue for some time because the competition is still years away from offering their own EVs that would compete against the Model 3 and they are even further away from having a truly useful high speed DC charging network.

Last edited:
To bring this thread nearly full circle, I received my invite to iconfigure tonight and proceeded to pre order a blue dual motor 3 with AP.

Now I will have to fight for the next few days internally about my color choice.
To bring this thread nearly full circle, I received my invite to iconfigure tonight and proceeded to pre order a blue dual motor 3 with AP.

Now I will have to fight for the next few days internally about my color choice.

I initially clicked P but then realized I can’t justify the 11k. I think I’m pretty solid on blue.