Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s Model Y SUV is being investigated for steering wheels that can fall off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you post a video of the sound? Maybe one of us has heard it before.
Turned out to be characteristic of the car. I have a thread here on the issue. It's the dampers on the MYP ...they are noisy....funny thing is the noise only starts after about 3800 miles. Started after 3800 miles when car was new. Driver side damper assembly replaced issue mostly resolved...almost like clockwork noise started again after about the same mileage. Test driver another 22 YP and it makes the same noise. Service also test drove an employee MYP same noise. Both test cars had under 8,000 miles on them.

Reactions: jsight
Seems like all the cool kids are doing this now.....

The article is very misleading. The 2 cars that had the issue had "rework" done after they came off the line that included removing the steering wheel. I seriously doubt that 120k cars needed "rework." And I would think 120k bolts on a bench would have shown something was amiss.
Another factor that both Model Ys had in common was that both models were subject to an “end of line repair” that involved removal and reinstallation of the steering wheel. This investigation will initially aim to identify the “scope, frequency, and manufacturing processes associated with this condition." If the NHTSA deems it necessary after the investigation, it could order a recall of affected products.

The NHTSA would not need to order a recall if Tesla had already dealt with the issue. Perhaps the NHTSA may not feel that Tesla has done due diligence to thoroughly investigate the scope of the problem and take appropriate action. Well, that's what a NHTSA issued recall would indicate if one were to occur.

If there is even one more instance of the steering wheel coming off with a missing bolt from this model type then that would mean Tesla is not properly investigating the situation. We'll see.

As with everything Tesla, nothing is standard. You can't assume that the steering wheel is just like other cars you've worked on. Plus, people pull on that thing all the time. Some hold onto it getting in and out, repositioning themselves in the seat, etc. And remember, it's the bolt that would push the steering wheel down hard onto the spline. Without it, the wheel was never mated fully with the spline. So yes, I think it's probably true it just fell off.

Watch this video and you'll see which bolt they must have left off and how much effort was required to remove the wheel. Didn't look like very much and that was with it having been bolted. If someone has been driving without the bolt for a while, that wheel has been seeing stress and could pop right off. You don't need sensationalism to impart how serious this could be. It's literally life and death.

What needs to be understood is that the steering wheel mounts on a keyed shaft. The nut only keeps the wheel engaged on the shaft. If the nut loosens it will not make the wheel wobbly or not steer the car. If the nut comes completely loose the wheel will only slide off the shaft if pulled. If it is pulled and it comes off, it can easily be pushed back on.

Viewing the video, I see that this steering wheel mounts on a shaft much like the steering wheels on each of my previous vehicles; a 60 Chevy pickup, a 69 Chevy Nova and an 87 Pontiac Fiero GT. The only difference is that some of them used nuts instead of bolts - same function.

While, obviously, a steering wheel coming off is not a casual issue and truly should never happen, but if it does, it should not be a catastrophic, panic inducing failure. Just push it back on. Then go have it dealt with.

Last edited:
The article is very misleading. The 2 cars that had the issue had "rework" done after they came off the line that included removing the steering wheel. I seriously doubt that 120k cars needed "rework." And I would think 120k bolts on a bench would have shown something was amiss.
Thankfully, the NHTSA does actual investigations, not just thought experiments.

What needs to be understood is that the steering wheel mounts on a keyed shaft. The nut only keeps the wheel engaged on the shaft. If the nut loosens it will not make the wheel wobbly or not steer the car. If the nut comes completely loose the wheel will only slide off the shaft if pulled. If it is pulled and it comes off, it can easily be pushed back on.
...While, obviously, a steering wheel coming off is not a casual issue and truly should never happen, but if it does, it should not be a catastrophic, panic inducing failure. Just push it back on. Then go have it dealt with.
Thankfully you have well researched this, as have all drivers everywhere, so there is no reason to worry when your steering wheel lifts off while driving. We all instinctively understand everything.

/Obvious sarcasm

Thankfully you have well researched this, as have all drivers everywhere, so there is no reason to worry when your steering wheel lifts off while driving. We all instinctively understand everything.

/Obvious sarcasm
"All drivers everywhere" make it a habit, while driving their cars, of PULLING the steering wheel toward their body (which is the only way the steering wheel comes off.)
FYI: NO steering wheel, when the bolt/nut is removed, "lifts off while driving,", unless it's PULLED off.

/Obvious sarcasm
Exactly. No one ever pulls on a steering wheel and it if does come off at 60 mph in a curve, no worries, just push it back on (more sarcasm) . And folks keep talking about pulling on the wheel, as if turning it back and forth, lock-to-lock at times with no nut/bolt, won't cause it to loosen over time?

The splined shafts are usually conical. The further down on the shaft the wheel is torqued, the harder it is to remove. Thinking it's the same force required to remove a wheel that was never torqued down is just..... not understanding.

Reactions: jsight and Dan D.
The nut only keeps the wheel engaged on the shaft. If the nut loosens it will not make the wheel wobbly or not steer the car. If the nut comes completely loose the wheel will only slide off the shaft if pulled. If it is pulled and it comes off, it can easily be pushed back on.
What loosened nut are you imagining? There was no nut or bolt in the first place, to engage the wheel on the shaft. This means no clamping force was ever exerted. So tell me, how well engaged on the shaft was it after leaving the factory?

Last edited:
Reactions: jsight
The splined shafts are usually conical. The further down on the shaft the wheel is torqued, the harder it is to remove. Thinking it's the same force required to remove a wheel that was never torqued down is just..... not understanding.
Yes, I remember having to buy a strrring wheel puller to replace something in my 65 ford steering column. Are modern cars the same?

What loosened nut are you imagining? There was no nut or bolt in the first place, to engage the wheel on the shaft. This means no clamping force was ever exerted. So tell me, how well engaged on the shaft was it after leaving the factory?
I'm not imagining anything. I'm just referring to the "loosening" of the nut as suspected in this thread. Realistically, I do not imagine any nut or bolt loosening on a steering wheel. Never witnessed anything like that or can "imagine" how it would occur.

As I have mentioned, the steering wheel fits on a keyed shaft. If there was never any bolt or nut, then the wheel will stay on the shaft until pulled off and if that actually happens; just push it back on. Then go deal with it.

I'm not imagining anything. I'm just referring to the "loosening" of the nut as suspected in this thread. Realistically, I do not imagine any nut or bolt loosening on a steering wheel. Never witnessed anything like that or can "imagine" how it would occur.

As I have mentioned, the steering wheel fits on a keyed shaft. If there was never any bolt or nut, then the wheel will stay on the shaft until pulled off and if that actually happens; just push it back on. Then go deal with it.
Not arguing with you but I don't think you've really thought this all the way through. I think I've given enough info here, so I won't go any further into it.

Thanks