Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s Model Y SUV is being investigated for steering wheels that can fall off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Iron

Jan 22, 2023
ATL
Gonna go yank my steering wheel hard as I can, next chance I get...

(Carlos Osorio / Associated Press)
BY ASSOCIATED PRESS
ASSOCIATED PRESS
MARCH 8, 2023 UPDATED 5:37 AM PT

U.S. auto safety regulators have opened an investigation into Tesla‘s Model Y SUV after getting two complaints that the steering wheels can come off during driving.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says the probe covers an estimated 120,000 vehicles from the 2023 model year.

The agency says that, in both complaints, the Model Ys were delivered to customers with a missing bolt that holds the wheel to the steering column. A friction fit held the steering wheels on, but they separated when force was exerted while the SUVs were being driven.

The agency says in documents posted on its website Wednesday that both incidents happened while the SUVs had low mileage on them.

Messages were left seeking comment from Tesla, which has disbanded its media relations department.

In one complaint filed with the NHTSA, an owner said he was driving with his family on Route 1 in Woodbridge, N.J., when the steering wheel suddenly came off Jan. 29, five days after the vehicle was purchased. The owner wrote that there were no cars behind him, and he was able to pull toward the road divider. There were no injuries.

The complaint has a link to a Twitter posting from the owner that included a video of the detached steering wheel and pictures of the white Tesla being towed.

At first, a Tesla service center gave the owner a cost estimate of $103.96 to repair the problem. The service center apologized in what appear to be text messages posted on Twitter.

When the owner wrote that he had lost faith in Tesla and asked for a refund, the service center removed the charge and wrote that Tesla doesn’t have a return policy, but he could reach out to the sales and delivery team.

The man was later given the option of keeping the car or getting it replaced with a new one, according to his post on Twitter. He said Tesla did replace his car.

Safety design: You have to PULL the wheel toward your body to remove a steering wheel. It can't just "fall off" without excessive force.

I'm not excusing a manufacturing error, just pointing out the sensational nature of the article headline.

Sorry but at the end of the day even if I PULL my steering wheel, hard, it should NOT come away from the steering column. Ever. Period. "Manufacturing Error" to me sounds like you have a door panel not aligned, or some system isn't working. This is absolutely fatal if it occurs at the wrong time so downplaying it doesn't help too.

Not disagreeing about journalistic sensationalism which is all the rage today but neither am I Tesla apologist or Elon fanboi. Steering wheels should stay attached to steering columns under all circumstances at all times. If you value your life, you'd surely agree...

Safety design: You have to PULL the wheel toward your body to remove a steering wheel. It can't just "fall off" without excessive force.

I'm not excusing a manufacturing error, just pointing out the sensational nature of the article headline.
Have you ever removed a steering wheel before? It does not require excessive force after the locking nut is removed.

U.S. auto safety regulator said steering wheels completely detached. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Wednesday it is opening a preliminary investigation into 120,000 2023 Tesla Model Y vehicles after two reports of steering wheels falling off while driving

Sorry but at the end of the day even if I PULL my steering wheel, hard, it should NOT come away from the steering column. Ever. Period. "Manufacturing Error" to me sounds like you have a door panel not aligned, or some system isn't working. This is absolutely fatal if it occurs at the wrong time so downplaying it doesn't help too.

Not disagreeing about journalistic sensationalism which is all the rage today but neither am I Tesla apologist or Elon fanboi. Steering wheels should stay attached to steering columns under all circumstances at all times. If you value your life, you'd surely agree...
It sounds like Jobs blamed the Antennagate's victims by explaining: "All phones have sensitive areas. Just avoid holding it in this way"

It's easy to blame the victims rather than the manufacturing design of quantity first, and quality last.

Reactions: GoVols! and kavyboy
Yes, I have. Several times, sometimes even needing a tool to free the wheel from the splined shaft.
As with everything Tesla, nothing is standard. You can't assume that the steering wheel is just like other cars you've worked on. Plus, people pull on that thing all the time. Some hold onto it getting in and out, repositioning themselves in the seat, etc. And remember, it's the bolt that would push the steering wheel down hard onto the spline. Without it, the wheel was never mated fully with the spline. So yes, I think it's probably true it just fell off.

Watch this video and you'll see which bolt they must have left off and how much effort was required to remove the wheel. Didn't look like very much and that was with it having been bolted. If someone has been driving without the bolt for a while, that wheel has been seeing stress and could pop right off. You don't need sensationalism to impart how serious this could be. It's literally life and death.

Last edited: