Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Take this delivery or listen to Tesla SA's advice they will fix it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today is the pick up day on my austin build. All is smooth except this seal surrounds the sunroof having some sort of pop out issue, see pic,
the SA told me they are "working" on this and will fix and told me it won't affect sound proof or water prevention. - still take the delivery or let them fix it?

Attachments

• IMG_3732.jpg
    IMG_3732.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_3729.jpg
    IMG_3729.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 311
So today is the pick up day on my austin build. All is smooth except this seal surrounds the sunroof having some sort of pop out issue, see pic,
the SA told me they are "working" on this and will fix and told me it won't affect sound proof or water prevention. - still take the delivery or let them fix it?
The SAs will say anything to get the sale. However, once you accept delivery, you’re going in the back of the line for the service center like everyone else. Make them fix all obvious issues before you take delivery. You will not get this attention afterwards.

Wow. Seriously. Other companies have figured out how to assemble a product they are selling. At this point, Wtf is Teslas issue.

• Funny
Reactions: ord3r and jose3030
was told this covers under the 4 yr 50k miles warranty, they can't have other writing promises
Then refuse delivery until they do put it in writing. That or be comfortable with the fact hat whatever the issue is may never get resolved. Those are your two options with Tesla. Once you take delivery though you have lost all power and Tesla knows that all-too-well.

Perhaps it's the robots' problem. It's not calibrated correctly. Humans at a Sevice Center can manually take the glass off and re-glue it in place with better precision.
Hmmm. Shouldn’t a company that shares dna with a desire to fly to Mars and connect to brain waves be able to calibrate some assembly robots? Quite literally almost everything we buy is assembled with robots and this doesn’t seem to be an issue.

It’s almost as if they’re not trying.

• Funny
Reactions: jose3030
At the end of the day, it’s the customers fault here most people overlook these issues and still buy the car. Tesla doesn’t care about the customer because their customers have low standards and overlook the problems. Until there’s meaningful competition that hits demand, they won’t care.

Just saw 5 new builds fresh off the truck. All Austin builds, none of them had this issue. Hopefully it was just a small amount that had this issue

Hmmm. Shouldn’t a company that shares dna with a desire to fly to Mars and connect to brain waves be able to calibrate some assembly robots? Quite literally almost everything we buy is assembled with robots and this doesn’t seem to be an issue.

It’s almost as if they’re not trying.
Similarly, there have been complaints about panel gaps. That's the work of none other than the robots.

Again, human technicians from a body shop can redo them so they won't look like the work of a kindergarten assembling crooked Lego blocks.

Reactions: Mike7564
guys, so the next day I went in, they fixed the seal however left with a large dent on the c-pilar, I was outrageous, I rejected this VIN immediately.
Until this moment, no new VIN being re-assigned, i guss if I'm not taking delviery before March I will just cancel the entire order and get Audi instead. This is just non-sense.

• Informative
Reactions: jose3030 and tonyz1
guys, so the next day I went in, they fixed the seal however left with a large dent on the c-pilar, I was outrageous, I rejected this VIN immediately.
Until this moment, no new VIN being re-assigned, i guss if I'm not taking delviery before March I will just cancel the entire order and get Audi instead. This is just non-sense.
Sorry that you had your time wasted but good job on rejecting. As an fyi, my rear window developed an issue that let in lots of rain water. Luckily I was able to dry the car out. However, My service appointment to fix it on feb 10 got moved to February 27 unilaterally by the service center.

Everything after delivery is at their whim

Sorry that you had your time wasted but good job on rejecting. As an fyi, my rear window developed an issue that let in lots of rain water. Luckily I was able to dry the car out. However, My service appointment to fix it on feb 10 got moved to February 27 unilaterally by the service center.

Everything after delivery is at their whim
Thanks for sharing. I rejected it, folks dont forget this is a $50-60k car, there are plenty of choices why do we have to perform QA work for tesla? Are they paying us for this?

Thanks for sharing. I rejected it, folks dont forget this is a $50-60k car, there are plenty of choices why do we have to perform QA work for tesla? Are they paying us for this?
Well said. Unfortunately, people think Tesla has altruistic intentions. They wanna make money and push out cars. Period.

You gotta brake some eggs to make an omelette. And if those eggs are willing to pay you for the chance, even better.

I realize most in this thread will disagree with me, but a $50k to $60k car isn’t guaranteed to be defect free. Audis and BMWs etc in that range (and even higher) still have some percentage of defects from the factory. After all, these are still factory made, mass assembled vehicles. You aren’t buying a hand built, Italian sports car. I’m not saying we should all just accept whatever Tesla sends out, just trying to inject some perspective into the discussion.

Would I have accepted the car you rejected for the C pillar dent? Maybe. You said “huge” which doesn’t really define it. If it looked repairable I probably would have accepted it (after bitching and moaning to them a bit). If it didn’t look repairable then I likely would have done as you did. To each his own.

I realize most in this thread will disagree with me, but a $50k to $60k car isn’t guaranteed to be defect free. Audis and BMWs etc in that range (and even higher) still have some percentage of defects from the factory. After all, these are still factory made, mass assembled vehicles. You aren’t buying a hand built, Italian sports car. I’m not saying we should all just accept whatever Tesla sends out, just trying to inject some perspective into the discussion.

Would I have accepted the car you rejected for the C pillar dent? Maybe. You said “huge” which doesn’t really define it. If it looked repairable I probably would have accepted it (after bitching and moaning to them a bit). If it didn’t look repairable then I likely would have done as you did. To each his own.
If you're buying a brand new car (regardless of price or brand) the expectation is that it's free from all factory defects. That's the starting point. Anyone who thinks otherwise is helping to reward the bad behavior by not requiring that the vehicle be brought up to the expectations of what you're getting for a new product. If someone wants imperfections they'll buy used for about half the price or less.

People need to stop trading their cars into Tesla for $20k below market value and taking delivery of vehicles with known issues. All this does is reward the bad behavior for a company who clearly does the bare minimum (or less) in certain categories just to get by. If a bunch of people started refusing delivery until issues were fixed and Tesla suddenly had a backlog of un-delivered cars that required humans to hand repair they'd address their assembly line issues.

Instead, people keep taking highway robbery offers for their trades which emboldens Tesla to offer less and less and crank out flawed products because people are lined up to buy everything they make. If sales dip to where they start amassing inventory they'll suddenly be forced to address some of their known issues. That's really the only language businesses speak. If they're profitable... they don't care.

Think a difference here is one isn’t picking a car off a lot from a selection. In that case you can just avoid the messed up one. In this case, you’re investing a bit of money, your time (waiting a few months), plus setting up financing and then you’re given the car to accept/deny.

Honesrly, weve bought many mjd range honda/toyota/ford over the years for 20-40k. never have seen cars on the lot with denrs, misaligned parts, torn interiors, etc. one could argue that these problems at the factory are there too (doubt it) but get fixed by the dealer before going on the lot. then maybe Tesla could do the same QA before delivery.

seems they’ve done the math that it’s instead easier to send out cars with minimal QA, assume some rate of repairs in the following month, hope some issues get overlooked/accepted by the consumer.