Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Problem on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla just lost $2 billion in market value during these two days.
It's pretty sad for other Tesla owners because this could pretty well mean the end of the Good Will agreements.
That's one way to look at it. Could turn out that it's a problem that needs to be addressed. Maybe Tesla does a voluntary recall or warrants the suspension for 100K. Could be a win, I'm sure we'll learn more.

Reactions: MassModel3
Further, if Mr. Cordano went in for an alignment, then the car never went onto a lift. Sears would have put it on an alignment rack. The wheel would never have been dangled free. No one would have checked the play in the wheel, as in:

Front toe and castor require access from underneath the car. Rear toe requires removing the bottom cover. Don't see how you would do this without a lift.

I loved the Tesla response letter, but wonder about how they came to assert the OP lived on a dirt road. Seems like a rather random falsehood to propagate, and dangerous too, since it could be so easily disproven (as it was). Is it possible that when the OP requested tow service that he told the SC the vehicle was located at home, and that's what was in the service record? Sure it's speculation, but that seems to be the norm in this thread...

and its owner lives down such a long dirt road
That's a problem. Whenever you get the facts wrong or exaggerate, you loose credibility. Tesla critics included.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
You Tesla apologists are freaking me out! Are you now saying, Tesla discriminates among its customers, and decides on its own whim what it provides free to whom, and what services it charges for? This is getting out of hands. The company should have clear policy of what is covered under warranty and what may be goodwil, so all customers are treated equally. Why is there this need for secrecy?

The fact is that most "goodwill" repairs are at the sole discretion of the manager of the particular service center. Sometimes repairs need to be considered goodwill in the interest of good customer service (they put a *TINY* nic in my steering wheel when changing my defrost vents and replaced the whole steering wheel as goodwill), but there's no way they can put forth a policy of what, exactly, that means. It's going to vary by situation.

And when the vehicle is out of warranty by time or mileage, then is used in a way that would otherwise have voided the warranty anyway, managerial discretion is the only way this would fall under goodwill. Tesla can't be expected to put forth a policy saying that misuse out of warranty is covered. If they do that, what, exactly, is the purpose of the warranty in the first place?

“Just how are you supposed to lubricate a ball joint that doesn't have a grease fitting?????” [sorka]

Well you don’t, you just wait for it to begin to get loose, then replace it. Or you drill and install a zerk fitting into it. Replacement ball joints typically do have zerks already on them.

I thought so too but it was pointed out to me numerous times earlier in this thread that is not true.

Maybe Tesla does a voluntary recall

What exactly are you going to recall?

We have one documented case of this failure mode which seems to be at least partially rooted on the owner's actions. We have seen with both the seatbelt campaign and the Model X 3rd row seat campaign, Tesla is more than happy to kick off a campaign based on a single data point and not wait for the actuaries to develop a trend curve and do a cost-benefit analysis, but you still need something actionable at the end of the day.

Front toe and castor require access from underneath the car. Rear toe requires removing the bottom cover. Don't see how you would do this without a lift.

The vehicle goes on an alignment rack, which does lift the car and the mechanic has access from underneath. But the wheels are not dangling free.

EliteMS41015_2.jpg

Last edited:
seems to be at least partially rooted on the owner's actions.
Ball joint failure or suspension fracturing should not be happening, even on a bumpy road.
Let the NTSHA finish their investigation. Since Tesla has been trying to suppress information on this, we don't know how many cars are affected. This would be a very expensive recall at a critical time for them.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
Exactly! Anyone up for a trip down Baja peninsula in their Model S? We'll just run up the suspension and bop down to Ensenada.

Not for nothing, but the toll road to Ensenada is in better shape than the 405 from Los Angeles south.

I grew up on dirt roads and, while even the best dirt road can be quickly worn to washboard status (especially with reduced state and county maintenance budgets, or at any time during mud season), the net effect is greater wear upon the suspension in general - not rust. No idea about the OP's environs, but my state had annual inspections that are intended to catch this sort of thing. Between state-mandated annual inspections and, presumably, Tesla annual service(s), it's hard to believe that that kind of rust happened in a single year, and that it wasn't making some kind of abnormal noise.

If you decouple the cause and the (lack of subsequent detection), and even if you don't, this looks more and more like a one-off - despite the best efforts of the banned crackpot and Neidershorter - the latter of whom clearly needs a better axe.

The fact that Neidershorter's FUD has been the catalyst for -$1B+ in market cap would, in a perfect world, be actionable. Instead, he will probably continue to write his FUD, and we will continue to have occasional opportunities to buy more TSLA stock when it goes on sale as it has the last couple of days.

Reactions: Pdub2015
The vehicle goes on an alignment rack, which does lift the car and the mechanic has access from underneath. But the wheels are not dangling free.

The vehicle doesn't go on an alignment rack. The alignment rack is attached to the wheels. The car is driven onto a service lift.
You are going to end up in a tautological discussion of "road" but having to put the suspension on high and creep along at 2-5 mph means is wasn't much of a road.

Yes, when it comes to talking about whether the warranty is void.

Driving on an unpaved dirt road will not AUTOMATICALLY void your warranty.

Ball joint failure or suspension fracturing should not be happening, even on a bumpy road.
Let the NTSHA finish their investigation. Since Tesla has been trying to suppress information on this, we don't know how many cars are affected. This would be a very expensive recall at a critical time for them.

Pray tell, what information have they suppressed? Seems the owner has said quite a lot without repurcussions.

Reactions: lklundin
Status
Not open for further replies.