Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many would disagree
I am one that disagree's, Elon is anything but "off the rails"....actually it is good to see Elon being more hands on of late re Tesla...I expect to see a lot of great outcomes as the chips fall. We are seeing wartime Elon at the moment...man he gets things done when that switch is flipped.

I can bitch here or there about the car ownership, but as a sharehold he is doing exactly the right moves.

I have been. But it is about 5-6 mins slower than going to Majura, if there is less than 3 charging at Majura.
Yes, it's a detour. But sometimes you just have to get those spare jumpers and socks from the K-mart there after you've passed Southern Highlands weather, but before you've reached Snowys weather.
I've also started doing a 12 mins stop at Exerter and going through to Cooma. But once again, only if Exerter is not busy.
Exeter(*) is a good spot. If it's busy, check the Evie app and see if there's a spare stall at the Sutton Forest northbound maccas, about 200 metres away.

Aah cool. I was one of the temps in Project Outlook over at Lumley House. Good times. Trying to make sense of a messy membership database in the very same year as insurance was migrating from BONUS to Huon.
I was involved in the transfer of the Motor Vehicle Database from BONUS to Huon for Car insurance and CTP. But that’s not what got me removed. But that’s off topic so I’ll stop here.
When NRMA got into the DC charging (Supercharging) business I gave them some advice that they completely ignored. So similar to back in 2000.

Apparently the BYD Atto 3 and BYD Seal V3 (&4) supercharger compatibility is actually a hardware thing...
  • BYD Dolphins can use V2 V3 and V4 Tesla superchargers without a problem
  • BYD Seals built after March 2204 can use V2 V3 and V4 Tesla superchargers without a problem
  • BYD Atto 3’s with 2023 plates and BYD Seals made before March 2024 will never be able to use V3 and V4 Tesla superchargers because of a hardware incompatibility.
Seems less than ideal for existing BYD Atto 3 & Seal owners, and who knew the CCS2 standard wasn't so standard! Mind you, it seems only BYD EVs are most affected.

(As mentioned in the article, KIA/Hyundai cars have their own quirks, with charging speeds limited to 50kW/97kW)

I doubt BYD will be offering a retrofit for existing cars, but it is a shame it can't be fixed with a firmware/software update (OTA or at a service point)

Apparently the BYD Atto 3 and BYD Seal V3 (&4) supercharger compatibility is actually a hardware thing...

Seems less than ideal for existing BYD Atto 3 & Seal owners, and who knew the CCS2 standard wasn't so standard! Mind you, it seems only BYD EVs are most affected.

(As mentioned in the article, KIA/Hyundai cars have their own quirks, with charging speeds limited to 50kW/97kW)

I doubt BYD will be offering a retrofit for existing cars, but it is a shame it can't be fixed with a firmware/software update (OTA or at a service point)
That would explain some of the comments on PlugShare from different BYD owners having different experiences at superchargers! Thanks!

Reactions: elddum
Seems less than ideal for existing BYD Atto 3 & Seal owners, and who knew the CCS2 standard wasn't so standard!

Standards are written by humans, and sometimes humans are unaware when they are using ambiguous or incomplete language. The standards writers know and understand what they are writing about, and think they are conveying a precise message, but would someone who isn’t them interpret it exactly the same way?

The problem gets worse when the people writing the standards are engineers… and I should know because I am one. Engineers are not normally known for their commanding skills in the use of the English language 😄 (and every technical standards body I am aware of uses English as the universal language). And then software engineers or chip designers, who might not have English as their first language, use those standards to write code and design chips… what could possibly go wrong? 🤣

As a result, standards can be incomplete or ambiguous, and others developing product based on those standards, can bake in errors due to that incompleteness or ambiguity 🤷‍♂️.

Reactions: schnaxxl
1715234281403.png

But ultimately sounds like BYD screwed up.
The question is are they going to replace units under warranty, or even clas it as a paid upgrade (like BMW with its CCS1 cars) or so nothing (ergo Nissan and CHAdeMO).

And all of that seems to have been avoided in the canned response given to Neerav.

But ultimately sounds like BYD screwed up.
The question is are they going to replace units under warranty, or even clas it as a paid upgrade (like BMW with its CCS1 cars) or so nothing (ergo Nissan and CHAdeMO).

And all of that seems to have been avoided in the canned response given to Neerav.
Maybe they could do it during one of the compulsory annual “services” BYD owners have to get stamped in their log book (hahaha)