Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To use the metaphor of "turning an ocean liner around" (often used to refer to ICE manufacturers who struggle to become EV manufacturers - but used in a different context here):

Tesla's Australian supercharger network was like an ocean liner that was moving slowly for 8 years, then finally in the last year managed to get it up to full cruising speed. (30% of all sites opened in the last 8 months).

If Elon wanted to alter direction slightly at that speed, sure. But what he did was the equivalent of dropping the anchor what the ship was at full speed. This email is like telling everyone that it's fine, we're still moving. Whereas in reality, most of the engines aren't working and we don't know what direction the ships is facing.

Remember, Tesla don't physically build the sites themselves. I suspect they are going to be contracting more of the installation and probably even the project management out for the sites they continue to build in-house, coupled with using partners like BP, EG, etc to build their own branded sites. Makes much more sense at this point where they are trying to stem cash flow issues.

The concept has been proven, the tech has been developed, it makes a lot of sense to transition to this sort of arrangement (again, assuming that is the direction, just based on how I'm reading the tea leaves with the available information)

Reactions: elddum and dronus
I wonder what would happen if the level of scrutiny and expectation that we are told every single detail about how a business is being run (Tesla) was applied to pharmaceutical companies. And governments. And other energy providers. And banks. And your local supermarket chain.

It isn’t done so why is there an expectation for Tesla ELT to do it?

Ask why petrol prices are so high. Ask why banks are making so much money. Ask why, but fixating on thinking we are entitled to know about any businesses inner workings in realtime will only lead to supposition and rhetoric.

Trust the process.

Enjoy driving the car.

Maybe my councils refusal to allow EV chargers on their property citing that “Service stations should do it” had some foresight after all?
Explains why we have what we have I guess.
Yeah, certainly makes a lot of sense to get the companies that are used to building out all the surrounding infrastructure, (though hopefully they'll realise with charging some better food options are more appropriate as you have a captive audience who can afford to easily spend 10-15 or even 20-30 minutes in some cases to sit down for a decent meal).

I'm totally guessing now, but it wouldn't surprise me if the roadmap the whole time has been to prove the concept by quickly building out basic SC stations and then get partners in to do the whole shebang with food/shopping or whatever other facilities.

Reactions: Wol747 and dronus
Yeah, certainly makes a lot of sense to get the companies that are used to building out all the surrounding infrastructure, (though hopefully they'll realise with charging some better food options are more appropriate as you have a captive audience who can afford to easily spend 10-15 or even 20-30 minutes in some cases to sit down for a decent meal).

I'm totally guessing now, but it wouldn't surprise me if the roadmap the whole time has been to prove the concept by quickly building out basic SC stations and then get partners in to do the whole shebang with food/shopping or whatever other facilities.
Makes sense for the long game.

Reactions: Jules22
Makes sense for the long game.
Thinking this through a little more, even the 'showpiece' charging station they are building in Santa Monica with theater, 24 hour restraunt, etc, suggests that they were trying to demonstrate the reliability, cost-effectiveness of the hardware, use cases and give some sort of idea of the types of things you could do in conjunction with a supercharging site to generate revenue.

Clearly Tesla were never wanting to get into the restraunt business, nor any other supporting business. This was done purely as a demonstration and clearly at least two companies that we know of currently bit and want in.

It makes a lot of sense when you put all the pieces together.

Reactions: dronus
Apparently the BYD Atto 3 and BYD Seal V3 (&4) supercharger compatibility is actually a hardware thing...

Seems less than ideal for existing BYD Atto 3 & Seal owners, and who knew the CCS2 standard wasn't so standard! Mind you, it seems only BYD EVs are most affected.

(As mentioned in the article, KIA/Hyundai cars have their own quirks, with charging speeds limited to 50kW/97kW)

I doubt BYD will be offering a retrofit for existing cars, but it is a shame it can't be fixed with a firmware/software update (OTA or at a service point)
Different / new response from BYD Australia to a customer provided today -
We are aware of the articles and statements that have been written on this ongoing issue.

Currently, we are awaiting formal communication from our Manufacturer in BYD China. They will be writing a final statement to clarify all concerns.

Once this communication is live we will make all of our customers aware and likely publish this on our website under the announcements section.

This just got posted on X again doesn't sound like they are going to be slowing down all that much -

Elon also opened a new community on X - this should be fun.

IMG_5914.png

Not sure if someone posted the following from Tesla Australia (I just received via email):

Supercharger Network Update​
We’ve heard concerns from our Tesla community about recent changes to the Supercharger program and would like to provide an update on the network in Australia:

Core to the Mission
– The Supercharger network is still core to Tesla’s mission of accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. Reducing costs and increasing efficiency are important for fulfilling our mission and remain a priority.

Customer Experience is Key – Customer experience for charging continues to be a top priority for the Supercharger network and we continue to focus on the ease of charging, competitive pricing and investing in the charging experience holistically.

Expansion of Network – The Supercharger network will continue to be expanded. Projects currently in construction are continuing to be completed and put into operation.

NSW Fast Charging Grant Program & QLD Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Scheme – Tesla will continue to move forward with participating in these programs.

Service and Support – Supercharger sites are continuing to be serviced and maintained by our team, with operational support being provided.

Thank you for continuing to support our mission to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy.​

In the States Tesla is building restaurants etc with the charging arrays. In the UK Gridserve is doing likewise with lounges and food.

This just got posted on X again doesn't sound like they are going to be slowing down all that much -

It doesn't tell us how much of the $500m for the year was already spent by the supercharger team in the first 4 months.

If there's only $100m left for the remaining 8 months then that's a massive slow down. Elon being vague makes me think a bunch of the $500m was already committed to by the previous team.

• Funny
Reactions: SPadival
No issues, with people being uneasy, but a lot of what went on was completely unnecessary.

We still don't know what shape the new department will take, nor what will be required to keep the growth in this country where it is needed. As with the initial situation I'll wait till more becomes clear before jumping to conclusions.
People expressing their opinions on here is the whole point of the forum, in much the same manner some are self appointed Tesla cheer leaders on the forum.

You should ask yourself why you feel so uncomfortable about people criticising decisions by the company. It's understandable for owners to expect better communication around a decision that could impact the intended use of the vehicle.