Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Round 1 (2022):
  • It should be noted that BP has "pulled the plug" on its sites too. BP won 16 sites with 64 bays, but has built only 1 of them (Seven Hills) the remainder not started.
The Seven Hills BP does not meet the fundings requirements. It is only a single 75 kW unit with two cables. I assume this Seven Hills site was an unfunded site. There is another BP up the road in Seven Hills, where the grant specified, there is no EV charging there. It is possible it was intended to upgrade the single one they put in with a change of venue or that the original site was still their plan. But this is all moot now.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
The whole thing seems like a sad mess TBH
I have a different perhaps more benign view
Capital takes a hard nosed approach to where it parks. I think it is important to always reevaluate your investments and business projections.
The growth of the EV charging infrastructure is not mutually exclusive to the growth in the uptake of EV vehicles

Reactions: BlueStreak2020
Why hasn’t Tesla started selling their supercharger hardware (& software) here. I think Kyle mentioned that they are cheaper than other competitors. Imagine all those NRMA/Chargefox/Evie Tritium units replaced with Tesla supercharger hardware!! 🤪

Why hasn’t Tesla started selling their supercharger hardware (& software) here. I think Kyle mentioned that they are cheaper than other competitors. Imagine all those NRMA/Chargefox/Evie Tritium units replaced with Tesla supercharger hardware!! 🤪
I believe the software is separate the hardware - eg bp and eg are just using the hardware and their own billing software.

Here's an example site in the UK

The app is ugly though :p

I forgot to check the Albury ones when I was there at the start of the year? Presumably our V4 units are made in china and therefore always better than things made in Australia (*cough* Tritium *cough*) and hopefully cheaper than the made in US ones.

bp at Fully Charged last year did say they weren't locked into a particular brand, so it would be nice for Australia to follow bp elsewhere and use the Tesla supercharger hardware

Tesla sold less than 50% of all EV sold in Australia for calendar year 2023. Imagine if the other 50% stumped up some cash to build an equivalent number of fast chargers...
Imagine if Tesla didn't bother applying for grants for sites they had no intention of building, so someone else could use the funding instead.

Tesla didn't bother applying for grants for sites they had no intention of building,
Huh?.
1)Tesla build then cheaper, faster and more reliably
2) funding is not fully paid until construction completed
3)As Tesla has said, construction that is underway will continue,
4) imagine an extra 200 DCFC by the other EV manufacturers...
5) open to others to step up to the plate.

Imagine if Tesla didn't bother applying for grants for sites they had no intention of building
No evidence at this point that they won't build them, let alone "had no intention"

How have the others faired? Considerably worse to non existent even only attempting a fraction of what Tesla already delivered.

Nothing stopping another player stepping up IF Tesla actually pulled the pin on any of the sites but I doubt we'll see anyone putting their hand up to do so and even less likely based on track record that they'll actually build anything.

Reactions: Quickst
Huh?.
1)Tesla build then cheaper and faster.
2) funding is not fully paid until construction completed
3)As Tesla has said, construction that is underway will continue,
4) imagine an extra 200 DCFC by the other EV manufacturers...
1) Except they're not being built anymore
2) Except that funding isn't available for someone else to use
3) There's over half not yet underway. Superchargers in Australia
4) Imagine what some funding would do!
No evidence at this point that they won't build them, let alone "had no intention"

How have the others faired? Considerably worse to non existent even only attempting a fraction of what Tesla already delivered.

Nothing stopping another player stepping up IF Tesla actually pulled the pin on any of the sites but I doubt we'll see anyone putting their hand up to do so and even less likely based on track record that they'll actually build anything.
as mentioned above, NRMA and Tesla were the main non-metro recipients - I can think of a few Ampol sites that were built under the program (Pheasants Nest?), but obviously all these grants that were awarded may not ever be taken advantage of.

1) Except they're not being built anymore
2) Except that funding isn't available for someone else to use
3) There's over half not yet underway. Superchargers in Australia
4) Imagine what some funding would do!

as mentioned above, NRMA and Tesla were the main non-metro recipients - I can think of a few Ampol sites that were built under the program (Pheasants Nest?), but obviously all these grants that were awarded may not ever be taken advantage of.
Again zero evidence at this point on 1 and if there was then the funding would be available for someone else to step in.

Reactions: elddum
Again zero evidence at this point on 1 and if there was then the funding would be available for someone else to step in.
I think we all need to have a little patience, as per Tesla :)

1) no evidence
2) no evidence
3) then $$ not paid and available to others. The taxpayer is not paying for the full cost of the supercharger - it's subsidised not fully paid by the taxpayer. Also do you think other players can build for the same cost as Tesla?.
4)imagine what funding from the other EV manufacturers who were the beneficiaries of 50% of the total EV sales in 2023 would have done. 200DCFC? (Assuming they can build at the same cost as Tesla.) or let's say they can't and it's 100DCFC on top of NRMA/EVie/ampcharge/Tesla/etc. Still better right?

I think we all need to have a little patience
Correct. which leads me back to how you arrived at your points 1) to n)

Reactions: elddum and Jules22
This Reuters article indicates that BP is still doing Ev charging in "growth" markets; which is according to the article, the US, Britain, German and China. It also mentions that Australia, New Zealand and France were growth countries?

BP said “Australia, New Zealand, and France have been marked as potential growth countries, but they’re not among the four priority countries BP Pulse will focus on” which is code for “we won’t build any more sites in Australia, but we are leaving the door open to change our minds later”.

Tesla nuking its SC Division will likely be used as evidence within BP that it was the right decision.

And yes, all this is undoubtedly going to negatively impact sentiment on EVs. People don’t like uncertainty, and the perception by the non-EV driving public that there isn’t enough public charging availability (and hence why they are not yet considering an EV) is just going to be reinforced even more.

The growth of the EV charging infrastructure is not mutually exclusive to the growth in the uptake of EV vehicles

I’m not sure that came out as you intended it… but a perception of insufficient public EV charging infrastructure will definitely negatively affect the uptake of EVs.

Even people who charge at home will be increasingly worried that on road trips queuing will get worse at existing public chargers, if the pace of build does not keep up with EV growth.

With Tesla nuking its SC Division, and BP walking away from Australia, it seems to be very unlikely that public fast charging build will keep up in the near term, and this will all feed into the “EVs are tanking” narrative and dissuade more and more people from taking the leap. Especially if reports of queuing at chargers starts to increase.

These surveys show (rightly or wrongly) the importance of public charging in the minds of potential EV buyers:

On another topic... it might be worth mentioning that on Plugshare, some of the new supercharger sites don't come up if you just show the Tesla(Fast) plug. They come up under CCS2. Select both plugs Tesla(Fast) and CCS2, and show only the Tesla network, and you see them all. I can only assume they will come up in the app or the car, I'll find out when I next get close to one.