Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From squinting at the prospective Map these are my guesses on likely Superchargers from Sydney to Brisbane.

Brisbane - Could be at future store location?
Coolangatta/Duranbah - Possibly near Tweed valley Way exit?
Kempsey/Urunga - Possibly near Waterfall way?
Port Macquarie - Possibly near the Oxley hwy
Forster/Bulahdelah - Possibly in Bulahdelah?
Newcastle - Raymond Terrace/Hexham area?

Gympie appears to be the only site listed north of Brisbane so far, a good chance it'll be the last.

Thoughts anyone?

If superchargers are for long distance travel then I question why they would be installed in the city. In the case of Brisbane I think they should be on the highway perhaps near the airport in the precinct with DFO etc. That way highway travellers from the north or South are not forced into a very time consuming detour into Brisbane. If the supercharger was in central Brisbane then Gympie is too far north. Travellers heading north from NSW and wanting to avoid a detour into Brisbane to Supercharge could face a long stretch to go from Tweed/Coolangatta to Gympie.

If superchargers are for long distance travel then I question why they would be installed in the city. In the case of Brisbane I think they should be on the highway perhaps near the airport in the precinct with DFO etc. That way highway travellers from the north or South are not forced into a very time consuming detour into Brisbane. If the supercharger was in central Brisbane then Gympie is too far north. Travellers heading north from NSW and wanting to avoid a detour into Brisbane to Supercharge could face a long stretch to go from Tweed/Coolangatta to Gympie.

Very good point, There are already destination chargers at the Post office Carpark in Adelaide St. (Haven't seen them in use yet) and others I believe.

My reference was more an equivalent to the Chargers at St Leonards. If I were thinking of Highway points in Brisbane for a Supercharger I agree on the Gateway but I'd lean towards the juncture with the Pacific at 8 Mile Plains so you'd be servicing two major roads.

Very good point, There are already destination chargers at the Post office Carpark in Adelaide St. (Haven't seen them in use yet) and others I believe.

My reference was more an equivalent to the Chargers at St Leonards. If I were thinking of Highway points in Brisbane for a Supercharger I agree on the Gateway but I'd lean towards the juncture with the Pacific at 8 Mile Plains so you'd be servicing two major roads.
or up north (near North Lakes) or both :)

Agree that picking up two streams of traffic at 8 mile plains is a benefit. An advantage with the one on the gateway near the airport is not only do you get the main North South traffic flow but also provide really good support for people driving in to fly out of Brisbane Airport. There are plenty of people in an arc from Toowoomba around through Dalby, Kingaroy, Murgon, etc and up the coast to Gympie and even Maryborough who drive into Brisbane Airport to catch flights. I know for my extended family and friends in Toowoomba and Maryborough, the drive to the airport is the most common reason for straying any significant distance from home. Having a supercharger there would be a great advantage particularly as it is common to have someone drive to the airport, drop someone off (or pick up) and head back home (often with a shopping stop at DFO or at Costco at Northlakes).

Agree that picking up two streams of traffic at 8 mile plains is a benefit. An advantage with the one on the gateway near the airport is not only do you get the main North South traffic flow but also provide really good support for people driving in to fly out of Brisbane Airport. There are plenty of people in an arc from Toowoomba around through Dalby, Kingaroy, Murgon, etc and up the coast to Gympie and even Maryborough who drive into Brisbane Airport to catch flights. I know for my extended family and friends in Toowoomba and Maryborough, the drive to the airport is the most common reason for straying any significant distance from home. Having a supercharger there would be a great advantage particularly as it is common to have someone drive to the airport, drop someone off (or pick up) and head back home (often with a shopping stop at DFO or at Costco at Northlakes).
Not to mention making the car very attractive to limo drivers - charging up by the airport would be a huge bonus.

The official Telsa map has been updated - it seems Seymour is still marked (as opposed to Euroa!)

CeikQQ2.png

Some interesting comments in this article:

Tesla Supercharger network:: Australian plans revealed

Beaver suggested that Tesla owners – particularly given the new all-wheel-drive models added to the brand’s Model S ranks – are calling for a link to the snow from Sydney, but the spot may not be Canberra, where many may have thought would be the most likely location.

“One of the key bits of feedback that has come back in regards to Canberra is that people want to get to the snow,” he said. “The case for having one in Canberra is not great. But somewhere south of there, to equip the route to the snow, there’s a better argument.

“It depends on what the network lets us do. You can imagine the number of overlays of: a site that you want to go to, a site that has land that you can have, and a site that the network will let you connect.

“We have lots of balls in the air – it could be Cooma, it could be Jindabyne, it could be Michelago, it could be any number of these things,” he said.

Distance from Goulburn: Michelago 140 km, Cooma 203 km, Jindabyne 265 km

Distance from Gundagai: Michelago 217 km, Cooma 214 km, Jindabyne 248 km

That said, Tesla owners will likely want to be able to travel just like they would with a more conventional petrol or diesel car, and in Australia there’s a lot of emphasis on long distance driving. So, with Sydney to Melbourne done, and the next route obviously being the one north, Beaver gave some indications of where the next ports of call could be located.

“I start at a high level and say, ‘Okay, what towns do we want to hit?’,” he said. “It looks like Heatherbrae (outside Newcastle), Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Ballina.

“We’ve got about 20 sites that we’re working on at the moment, working through that overlay of land, plus on the route, plus ‘can we have electricity’.

“Because it’s a different utility to work with, we have to bring them along on the process. Timing is uncertain, but you’ll be able to drive from Brisbane to Melbourne for free by the end of next year. I’m very confident of that.”

Sydney - 164 km - Heatherbrae - 221 km - Port Macquarie - 159 km - Coffs Harbour - 210 km - Ballina

Ballina is 112 km from the Gold Coast and 189 km from Brisbane.

BTW Macadamia Castle - a pefect site IMHO - is 16 km north of Ballina.

I hope Tesla realise that there are ski fields in Victoria as well, not just NSW. We'd need a supercharger near the Victorian fields, probably 2 (Bright & Mansfield) at least in winter. Even 2 of the portable chargers (like the one at Euroa) would be sufficient

From looking at the map they are already pretty well served! Euroa-Mt Buller is only 111 km each way, and Wodonga-Falls Creek is 115 km (note there is also a destination charger at Dinner Plain).

Nothing concrete but if you look at the Supercharger roadmap on the Tesla website & change the view from ‘Now open’ to ‘2015’, you’ll see a red dot in the Newcastle area…and Heatherbrae has been mentioned. So I expect to be able to sample the culinary delights of the Heatherbrae service centre some time before midnight on New Years eve.

Google Maps

Nothing concrete but if you look at the Supercharger roadmap on the Tesla website & change the view from ‘Now open’ to ‘2015’, you’ll see a red dot in the Newcastle area…and Heatherbrae has been mentioned. So I expect to be able to sample the culinary delights of the Heatherbrae service centre some time before midnight on New Years eve.

Google Maps

Not sure if I saw the same article but I have also seen a Newcastle area supercharger mentioned again in the context of being in by the end of the year. Maybe another Supercharger on a sled like at Euroa.

Heatherbrae looks like a convenient location, no deviation off the A1 at all and 222km from The Observatory, Port Maquarie and 157km from Tesla St Leonards means only a quick top up needed. Which is good, because the air quality there does not look fantastic.

Goulburn is grateful for the renewed attention and the council relished having extra out-of-town visitors arrive on their doorstep.

"We're surprised at the amount of use they are getting. Often when we walk out, there are cars there using them. There are no Tesla owners in Goulburn as far as we know, so everyone using the chargers are coming from out of town…There are quite a few Victorian plates, and lots of them coming from Sydney. You can get from Sydney to Goulburn on a full charge."

Tesla Supercharger Locations Boost Regional Australia

So pay attention every regional council in the country. Superchargers and fast chargers do wonders for small towns.

Goulburn is grateful for the renewed attention and the council relished having extra out-of-town visitors arrive on their doorstep.

Goulburn is a great location for a stop. I was travelling with my colleague from Chicago and he was so impressed with The Roses Cafe. Nice breakfast and good coffee.

I don't need to stop when traveling between Sydney and Canberra, but any excuse will do ;)