Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger V3 unveiling in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once V3 are available, then V2 SC will be like destination chargers and avoided like the plague....

And I disagree. Destination chargers charge at 64 kw, about half what a SC does. If someone really wants to take less time charging, but the car with the biggest battery and pass those superchargers.

I thought destination chargers are Level 2? If so, the M3 LR is limited to 48 amp (or about 11.5 kW at 240 volts)

Yeah he probably mean city superchargers, which are limited to 72kW (but no shared stalls).
Destination chargers, as Tesla has historically referred to them, are indeed AC charging and range from 8kW to 20kW, so 40 to 80 amps (if you car supports it, more recent ones don't).

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Ulmo
Just choosing one of the 20 random SC v3 threads for this question:

Does anyone know the status on the following sites (related to V3):
- Fremont - Kato Rd, CA: This was the site of an "under construction" supercharger that was half built for ages, then they took all the stalls out, now it seems it was the location of the V3 launch the other day. I believe it can only be used by those in the "early adopters program" who have a Model 3 with the newest firmware. QUESTION: Can those Model 3 owners go back and charge there at any time? e.g. is it classed as a newly opened "limited access" supercharger?

- Hawthorne, CA: They started pulling out all the SC units the day of the V3 launch. Are any stalls accessible at the moment? Should it be classed as "temporarily closed" or is it being upgraded and more of an "under construction" V3 site? Thread on TMC says closed, photo posted on FB an hour ago shows cars plugged in?

- Forks, WA and North Bend, WA: These were mentioned as some of the first V3 sites by the reddit "insider" who turned out to have accurate information. Anyone in those areas seen anything?

Reactions: GSP and KJD
I'm interested to hear how a V3 upgraded Model 3 LR charges at a 175 kW CCS location. It it draws 175 kW for any length of time it is going to break the pricing schemes in Europe that are purely time based and up until recently mostly serviced cars pulling 50 - 70 kW

Reactions: MP3Mike
Yeah I think that's right. Hopefully it will charge faster at > 50% SoC on all superchargers.
If this V3 chart turns out to be true and we get our wish for V2 charging a Tesla Model 3 LR with upgraded firmware, the yellow arrows tell the tale:

Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 6.55.56 PM.jpg

Presuming a charge from 15% to 65%, that would work out to 145 kW from 15% to 50% and an average of ~ 120 kW from 50% to 65%. The charge session average works out to 135 kW

:)

V3 could be more expensive, and we already saw they limit you to 80% before kicking on idle fees.
Reference: V3 Supercharger Revealed 250kW

https://www.pscp.tv/w/b1RziTFXZ0tncW9vTkp4RXZ8MXlwS2RPZ1Zwall4V2z-C_wxchoGLmN7TwmHKlxgVytMenCXMvHgoTbnpxA7

Seems to me 80% max helps with a lot: gets cars out much quicker; battery not being charged at high states of charge causing a lot of degradation especially right after a super fast charge; better user experience. This will require high quaity food and bathrooms at every single V3 supercharger unless they want trouble.

Last edited:
Seems to me 80% max helps with a lot (etc)

Interesting. I thought this 80% was only for the demo station for that evening (so as many people as possible could experience it). I wonder how it will work in practice.

Does a station auto register as "high usage" when it gets full? (i.e. go there at 2am, the limit doesn't apply and you can charge to 100%)

Do they just designate constantly full stations as "high usage"? (Like the ones with the "40 minute limit" sign, except this time instead of a physical sign which people can ignore, it's a note on the screen with a fixed limit?)

Will stations in remote locations (or perhaps, en-route to remote locations) be excluded? Someone could be planning to head off the beaten track and will really need that 100% charge.

FYI the 80% seems to be more of a function of station utilization and not the fact that it is a V3 supercharger (though the behavior is subject to change). FWIW Greentheonly says it seems to be a flag right now (boolean) and not an enum: Autopilot now can recognize stoplines : teslamotors

From Tesla Raj's video the first charge shows 80% max message:
withmsg.PNG
But we also have another video with max charge set to 90% and no such message:
withoutmsg.PNG

Video:

I heard that too, which is the opposite of what was said when V3 was announced...
Perhaps he just means *some* sites (the busiest?)
Or he means that the V2 Superchargers will be upgraded to output 145 kW Max.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that Tesla will make changes as circumstances warrant. It could be anything from
* 145 kW peak
* Addition of V3 to current locations
* Replacement of V2 stations with V3 stations

High occupancy and high demand charge locations seem obvious places to start.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Anyone notice at the Model Y unveiling tonight that Elon said that they would be upgrading all of the V2 superchargers to V3? I thought that's what he said, if so that's awesome!

I could see how it would be interpreted that way (I just watched the Y unveil in full), but I think he meant upgrading the existing sites to 145kW as well as installing any new SC as V3 instead of V2 (which is why the rollout has been slower recently).

• Informative
Reactions: GSP, KJD and Chuq