Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Salt Lake City, UT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a bit of a cross post from the news section, but here's an update to what's going on with the SLC dealership/Service Center/Supercharger location: Tesla Motors Dealership in Salt Lake City, Utah - YouTube

Interesting take from James Chen. However, I am still disappointed with how Tesla handled this. Some quotes from Chen about their discussions with the regulatory group: “…indications were preliminarily at that time that we were good to go…” “…changed their tone…” It really surprises me that they would pursue building this based on someone's opinion in that commission, when the actual wording of existing law definitely forbid them from doing it. Why would they think that was going to fly? Even if that commission did grant something, at any point later, someone who didn't like Tesla could bring up the wording of the law and get that revoked pretty easily. Since the law was worded in such a way that actually did apply to them in Utah, they should have worked with legislators to get a bill going to change that law first, not rely on someone's opinion that they could get a pass to ignore the law.

Or, as JC says, they had to have a complete physical plant on the ground to present a qualified application for the business license. Without this reality in existence they would simply face continued stalling from Utah powers that be. Here Tesla is matching and raising the stakes which seems like the only way to go.
--

The sad thing is one must procure a building and build it out before you even can begin the process of becoming a licensed dealer. Basically you need deep pockets to even get to the point of applying. That's the dealer lobby protecting their established business model.

Hey, I hear you want to open a ski resort! Well to get a ski resort license, we need you to buy the mountain, cut the ski trails, build the lifts, and lodges. Then, and only then will we possibly consider giving you a license to operate. But just as a heads up, we might have a law on the books that says you can't own a ski resort since you also make ski's and snowboards.

Reactions: TaoJones
I think you two are missing the point, though. Yes, they would have had to build the building before they could apply. But when you know that the law says you can't be granted it anyway, why start any of that?

I presume that the law wasn't clear and could be interpreted in different ways. Tesla's discussions with the state led them to believe that it would be interpreted in their favor, and they were surprised when things did not work out as expected.

Hmm...according to Google street view that is an old used car lot along with what appears to be more car lots all around it. Why would Tesla put it there and not by any amenities whatsoever? Is this location confirmed?
Yes, its confirmed. "Utah Auto Gallery" Is now a Tesla showroom and service center opening in a couple of weeks. The Supercharger is located in the parking lot.
This deserves repeating. Tesla has converted an old used car lot. Perhaps in the future they will spend less on the conversion until the law is in their favor. I appreciate the improved appearance for Salt Lake City in an area where old sign icons remain for decades. Now is the time for the city to act and change the law in Tesla Motors favor. The air gets mighty smoggy on many days and the SLC valley needs all the help it can get. Here is the link to the old building photo for comparison:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.720...!1e1!3m2!1sAK8HIXL4vCmh9DaOCsyxmQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

In the meantime, Tesla Motors should allow the public to "window shop" by having Model S on the showroom floor. The owners who Supercharge can answer questions to the visitors. Hopefully they can operate the location as a Gallery to encourage on-line sales.

Last edited:
> Tesla Motors should allow the public to "window shop" by having Model S on the showroom floor. [Mark Z]

A sealed showroom 'window box' - mute testimony to the dealer lobby intransigence - complete with mannequins in car show poses.

Meanwhile Tesla could open a temporary Service Center / Store across the border in Evanston, WY and trailer cars back and forth from Utah owner's home addresses.
--

Last edited:
A sealed showroom 'window box' - mute testimony to the dealer lobby intransigence. Meanwhile Tesla could open a temporary Service Center / Store across the border in Evanston, WY and trailer cars back and forth from Utah owner's home addresses.
--
This.
"Because someone put some ink lines on some paper. We have to do our jobs on THIS side of this imaginary line in the real dirt."

Last edited:
This one is now showing up as Temporarily Closed on the nav. I've called Roadside Assistance over and over but end up on hold forever. I press 8 to receive a call back at their convenience but it seems like that feature doesn't work. I'll get through to them eventually (keep dropping calls as I drive through mountainous areas so I couldn't even wait on hold that long if I tried) and post what I learn here. I want an update on the West Yellowstone situation anyway so I'm doubly motivated.

The good news here is Tooele isn't far away. So you'll have to either use that one or just try to plan out your stops well and skip SLC if you are travelling north/south.

If you have enough juice to make it to tooele you can still swing by slc without going too far out of the way. Lots of times when they say they are closed, they actually just have reduced service. Green river was "closed" for a few months, but actually was just working at a lesser rate during certain times.

Also, the SLC location has 3 80amp destination chargers in the same parking lot. They always work unless the actual power is out in the area.

It could have been a power issue. While I was out shopping yesterday the grocery store lost power and reverted to backup generators. Its possible the storm was moving North and knocked out power at the SLC store. It came back rather quickly though.

It could have been a power issue. While I was out shopping yesterday the grocery store lost power and reverted to backup generators. Its possible the storm was moving North and knocked out power at the SLC store. It came back rather quickly though.

Yeah I drove through a big thunderstorm in Echo Canyon and was thinking it might have been related. Of course driving through that downpour killed my range so it was a real double whammy.

Well, first time in three and a half years of ownership, and I encountered my first Supercharger with reduced power Sunday morning. I was at about 19% battery and tried 3A (unpaired). It was struggling at about 57kW. So I moved to 1A (also unpaired), and it sat at 60kW steady but never increased. And no, I forgot to call Tesla to let them know because I didn't need to stay there all that long to make it up to Tremonton.

• Informative
Reactions: chargeshare
I rolled in last night with 0% charge (that was fun). Plugged into.. 5A? The first spot next to the wood enclosure that holds the cabinets. Anyway, I was low enough the heat wouldn't even turn on. The last (and only other) time I came in at 0% I plugged in the supercharger and it immediately jumped up to 116kW and acted normally. This time when I plugged in, it started to supercharge, but only at 1kW. (more on this in a sec)

Often times the SLC staff will use the superchargers for CPO cars that are being prepped for delivery, and there were two CPO's (A red X 90D and silver S 85) plugged in at the superchargers also. You could tell they were CPO's as they had lots of little hand drawn circles with wax pens around the tiny nicks on the exteriors that would be repaired before delivery.

I assume the CPO's had been plugged in long enough to be charged so I tried moving twice to each of the stalls paired with them but still was only getting the 1kW from each plug. Asking inside they said that when you are really low the battery must get a little trickle charge to equalize the voltage of the pack (or something to that effect) before actual supercharging would kick in. This was different then last time I pulled in with 0% but made sense, there might of been a software change from my last 0% event a year ago or maybe last time I had a little more juice when I arrived even though it said 0% then also. Regardless I waited about 15 minutes getting only 1kW, and sure enough finally the kW jumped up and started to supercharge. At this point I was I believe at 4A or B, I forget which one but I was paired with the Red X CPO.
It jumped up to about 112kW, but then after only a few moments it quickly and rapidly started dropping. When after only about 4 minutes it was already down to 70kW I moved back to 5A (closest to the wood enclosure). It jumped to 115kW, but again started to quickly drop after a minute or two. Again I moved over, just one spot to 5B (or A, not sure, there was one spot between me and the wood enclosure) and this time it jumped to 116kW and stayed there. This spot gave me a proper taper though, so it stayed high until I was at about 40% when it slowly started dropping down normally.

Side note. While I was there the staff was closing down the store for the night, and moving the test drive cars into the little holding area fenced in behind the store. They must have hit the wrong button on a fob inside because both front doors on the red CPO X plugged into the supercharger at 4B (or A) opened automatically but no one came over to move it. After about 5 minutes of the doors being opened I got out of my car to close them.
The red X was at 100% charge according to the dash. (251 miles of range @ 100% if it's your CPO btw, VIN 3458.) It was left overnight plugged into the supercharger that way, along with the silver CPO S 85 (VIN 16493). I have no idea what charge state of the silver 85 was though as it was locked up the whole time.
IMG_4434.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
I rolled in last night with 0% charge (that was fun). Plugged into.. 5A? The first spot next to the wood enclosure that holds the cabinets. Anyway, I was low enough the heat wouldn't even turn on. The last (and only other) time I came in at 0% I plugged in the supercharger and it immediately jumped up to 116kW and acted normally. This time when I plugged in, it started to supercharge, but only at 1kW. (more on this in a sec)

Often times the SLC staff will use the superchargers for CPO cars that are being prepped for delivery, and there were two CPO's (A red X 90D and silver S 85) plugged in at the superchargers also. You could tell they were CPO's as they had lots of little hand drawn circles with wax pens around the tiny nicks on the exteriors that would be repaired before delivery.

I assume the CPO's had been plugged in long enough to be charged so I tried moving twice to each of the stalls paired with them but still was only getting the 1kW from each plug. Asking inside they said that when you are really low the battery must get a little trickle charge to equalize the voltage of the pack (or something to that effect) before actual supercharging would kick in. This was different then last time I pulled in with 0% but made sense, there might of been a software change from my last 0% event a year ago or maybe last time I had a little more juice when I arrived even though it said 0% then also. Regardless I waited about 15 minutes getting only 1kW, and sure enough finally the kW jumped up and started to supercharge. At this point I was I believe at 4A or B, I forget which one but I was paired with the Red X CPO.
It jumped up to about 112kW, but then after only a few moments it quickly and rapidly started dropping. When after only about 4 minutes it was already down to 70kW I moved back to 5A (closest to the wood enclosure). It jumped to 115kW, but again started to quickly drop after a minute or two. Again I moved over, just one spot to 5B (or A, not sure, there was one spot between me and the wood enclosure) and this time it jumped to 116kW and stayed there. This spot gave me a proper taper though, so it stayed high until I was at about 40% when it slowly started dropping down normally.

Side note. While I was there the staff was closing down the store for the night, and moving the test drive cars into the little holding area fenced in behind the store. They must have hit the wrong button on a fob inside because both front doors on the red CPO X plugged into the supercharger at 4B (or A) opened automatically but no one came over to move it. After about 5 minutes of the doors being opened I got out of my car to close them.
The red X was at 100% charge according to the dash. (251 miles of range @ 100% if it's your CPO btw, VIN 3458.) It was left overnight plugged into the supercharger that way, along with the silver CPO S 85 (VIN 16493). I have no idea what charge state of the silver 85 was though as it was locked up the whole time.
View attachment 250129

I have arrived at a supercharger with zero rated miles twice and <10 rated miles many times. I have never experienced your super low charge rate (1kW). What is normal (at least in my Model S) is that it charges at a somewhat slow rate until it gets to about 10%. This somewhat slow rate is usually in the 40-70kW range. So while I do think your 1kW charge rate was unsual, I think you probably wasted your energy moving the car to different stalls when it was only charging at 70kW. Had you left it plugged in there it probably would have gone up to 115kW when you got to over 10% charged. I'm guessing that the one that finally stayed at a high charge rate was because you were over 10% at that point.

Reactions: JSergeant