Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When there were power problems at Harris Ranch (a crucial N-S stop on I-5) a year or so ago I remember reading Tesla brought in a portable generator. I guess if it's the main east coast highway Tesla doesn't think it's as important as if it's the main west coast highway?
We don't know that. We have a lot of people posting from 100 miles away.

And the only person who was there, did so on a weekday.

For all we know, Tesla is there on the weekend with generators.

HarrisRanchNov2014004.jpg

Generators were brought in when Harris Ranch went down for a few days in November, 2014.

(photo by wraithnot)

Reactions: mhs and Tree95
When there were power problems at Harris Ranch (a crucial N-S stop on I-5) a year or so ago I remember reading Tesla brought in a portable generator. I guess if it's the main east coast highway Tesla doesn't think it's as important as if it's the main west coast highway?
one difference is that the Newark SpC is in a toll road rest area, I'd bet that the powers that be aren't too friendly to a temporary generator in their rest area.

I'll stop you here. You're approximation assumes all cars will charge and drive at the same time. All of the superchargers I visit aren't utilized to 100% capacity.

Queuing theory is also not linear, so a doubling of supercharger can handle a lot more than double the load.

Some superchargers are added for increased load in an area (Tejon Ranch CA prompted Buttonwillow CA for example), but most are just finishing routes and increasing the geographical foot print of the chargers.

Here in the southeast, I am alone at superchargers about half the time, and maybe with 1 other car about a quarter of the time. and with 2 other cars about 15% of the time. It has happened only a few times that there are 3 or more cars and I have to get serious about looking a the A/B pairing. There is substantial overbuild in most locations that could easily handle 5x vehicles.

Reactions: Max*

That part of 95 where the SC is is not a toll road. It's toll-free to get there from either direction without paying any toll. There is a single toll booth further south on 95 heading into MD. It's not a toll road like the NJTP or PATP where you have to pay a toll to gain access to the highway.

eta: In fact it's also trivially easy to bypass the single DE toll booth to avoid that toll. Most locals do it.

That part of 95 where the SC is is not a toll road. It's toll-free to get there from either direction without paying any toll. There is a single toll booth further south on 95 heading into MD. It's not a toll road like the NJTP or PATP where you have to pay a toll to gain access to the highway.

eta: In fact it's also trivially easy to bypass the single DE toll booth to avoid that toll. Most locals do it.

I live 10 minutes from the Newark SC and travel I95 often. As @Hank says it is easy to bypass the toll... I do it ALL the time. Takes about 10 minutes time. You have to trade off a little more time to save the $4 toll.

you guys are fixated on the actual tolling, using the term toll road isnt about paying the toll, it is a road operated by a highway authority which also controls the operation of the rest area where that SpC is located.
almost all of the SpCs are on private property where tesla has more flexibility than the few, mostly in the NE and in FLA, where they are placed in rest areas of toll roads where they are more limited in what can be altered.

TITLE 2 - CHAPTER 13. DELAWARE TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY

• Informative
Reactions: Drucifer