Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger in Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your pictures of the stations reminded me the location when I drove my P85 from Seattle last early December to Fremont, Ca and stopped by the station. Tesybella went through a big winter storm in southern Oregon very well without chains. Are there any Maui Tesla owners in this club ? I am having another 60 KW Model S for Maui and her name is Tesylani.

Your pictures of the stations reminded me the location when I drove my P85 from Seattle last early December to Fremont, Ca and stopped by the station. Tesybella went through a big winter storm in southern Oregon very well without chains. Are there any Maui Tesla owners in this club ? I am having another 60 KW Model S for Maui and her name is Tesylani.

I was pretty sure that we had at least one Maui owner here. Welcome regardless!

Considering it's only about 30 miles from downtown Honolulu to the North Shore, do you guys really need a Supercharger?
I suppose it would be useful on the Big Island to have one in Kona and one in Hilo, but if I were running the Tesla SC program I might conclude the potential market is too small to justify the added sales that some Superchargers might bring in.

Considering it's only about 30 miles from downtown Honolulu to the North Shore, do you guys really need a Supercharger? 
I suppose it would be useful on the Big Island to have one in Kona and one in Hilo, but if I were running the Tesla SC program I might conclude the potential market is too small to justify the added sales that some Superchargers might bring in.

I am looking at the need on Maui and the Big Island more than any other of the other islands, such as Oahu.

On Maui it's only about 80 miles from Hana to Kapalua. I don't see how a Supercharger is needed to facilitate trips on that island.

Really, the market size on any of the islands is too small to justify Tesla investing in a Supercharger, and distances aren't long enough.

My opinion.

Thank you for your opinion. Unfortunately, there are places on Maui that are longer in distances and distance is not the only factor. There are areas of marked elevation that people have to drive up to. Upcountry Maui, for example. Also, the road to Hana is not a straight shot. Unless you have driven on these roads, it is hard to judge by simply looking at a map.

On Maui it's only about 80 miles from Hana to Kapalua. I don't see how a Supercharger is needed to facilitate trips on that island.

Really, the market size on any of the islands is too small to justify Tesla investing in a Supercharger, and distances aren't long enough.

My opinion.

The need for the superchargers on Oahu doesn't stem from distance, but from the number of Tesla owners/potential owners in newer high rise condo projects in urban Honolulu. Even though it's the law that they have to allow chargers/outlets for EV owners, alot of them can't provide it due to expensive infrastructure upgrades. A supercharger in urban Honolulu would help alleviate this issue. Tesla is aware of this situation and hopefully someday we'll have one supercharger on the island.

For us on Oahu, it's obviously not about long-distance driving, however, there are many that live in an urban environment with no means to charge at their residence. China doesn't only add SC's for cross-city commutes, they also have it because of the same problem as us, apartment dwellers. We're certainly not high on their list, but as the expansion criteria loosens as the concentration of SC's gets denser, I think we should have one on Oahu eventually just for convenience, and as a stop-gap for apartment dwellers.

Edit: nanimac beat me to it :)

Thank you, nanimac and StephenM, for your input. Because of the density of those living on Oahu is the highest and the fact that per capita, our state has the one of the highest number of Tesla MS, Honolulu may need to be the first to get one. However, I am not sure how many MS owners there are on the Big Island and Maui. Fortunately for Maui, there are lot more charging stations in the parking lots than there is on the Big Island.

Well, well well, ecarfan, we are surely glad that you are not running the Tesla SC program. :smile:

Let me help you understand a little about us. Sure, its only 30 miles or so to North Shore. But there's many owners that live in high rise condo's. And even the high rise condo's built in the last couple of years do not have the infrastructure to support 14-50 or HPWC in the parking structure. Not even 110v are convenient for charging. Several of our owners regularly must go to the shopping center parking lots and cruise for an open EV charging bay that's not Leaf'd so they can charge. So having a SuperCharger or two in a centrally located area such as our two center malls is going to provide charging capability without us also competing for 3x - 5x a longer length of time with those EV stations that Leafs are always in. And there's also the consideration that SuperChargers are not free. Those of us that enable SC on the 60 and pay for it as part of the 85 are in fact paying for that feature up front. There's more than 350 Model S on Oahu now. There's enough 85s to have paid for our SuperCharger. A couple of us spend part of our time reminding the Tesla SuperCharger Team that we are still here, and we really would like our turn in line to get our own SuperCharger. In the meantime we wait.

Considering it's only about 30 miles from downtown Honolulu to the North Shore, do you guys really need a Supercharger? 

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, drtko, help us by telling others with Model S's that we need everyone here to send a reminder/requesting a SuperCharger installation on Oahu. It helps to coach that owner to use some of the same reasoning that I mentioned in my reply to ecarfan. We have a SuperCharger thread under our Groups about this too.

We hope to put together a list of potential property locations with contact info and pass it to Tesla's SuperCharger Team to give them a jump start on the effort too.

Thank you, nanimac and StephenM, for your input. Because of the density of those living on Oahu is the highest and the fact that per capita, our state has the one of the highest number of Tesla MS, Honolulu may need to be the first to get one. However, I am not sure how many MS owners there are on the Big Island and Maui. Fortunately for Maui, there are lot more charging stations in the parking lots than there is on the Big Island.

Thanks ecarfan for your post. If anything it got us all riled up again about talking about why we need a supercharger on Oahu. Hopefully, the TM staff who scans these forums see our continued plea for an SC :)

YEAH ecarfan, nanimac is right. You get us all riled up again about our missing SuperChargers and we will strike back. We will remove you from our chocolate macadamia nut candy and Hawaiian calendar distribution lists. There ! See, we can be vicious.

Guys, I apologize for my shortsightedness! I am spoiled by home charging. You are quite right, many condo dwellers are unable to get 220/240 outlets installed at their parking spaces, and that is very unfortunate. If a Honolulu SC would help Tesla sell many more cars in that area than I am all for it. But I am not convinced that there is enough of a market on any of the other islands to justify Tesla spending the money to put in an SC. What Local Tesla supporters could do is approach the local shopping centers and try to convince them to contact Tesla and ask for HPWCs, which Tesla will provide at no charge, and installation costs are modest. How about that?

I look forward to you resuming those macadamia nut shipments. :)

Guys, I apologize for my shortsightedness! I am spoiled by home charging. You are quite right, many condo dwellers are unable to get 220/240 outlets installed at their parking spaces, and that is very unfortunate. If a Honolulu SC would help Tesla sell many more cars in that area than I am all for it. But I am not convinced that there is enough of a market on any of the other islands to justify Tesla spending the money to put in an SC. What Local Tesla supporters could do is approach the local shopping centers and try to convince them to contact Tesla and ask for HPWCs, which Tesla will provide at no charge, and installation costs are modest. How about that?

I look forward to you resuming those macadamia nut shipments. :)

we are actually fortunate to have legislation that requires public places with more than 100 stalls to have an EV charger..unfortunately they are often leaf'd. Being on an island, land is limited and therefore coveted by shopping center owners. With that said, there are developers/property owners who are also MS owners. Just need to get them in touch with Tesla.

we are actually fortunate to have legislation that requires public places with more than 100 stalls to have an EV charger..unfortunately they are often leaf'd. Being on an island, land is limited and therefore coveted by shopping center owners. With that said, there are developers/property owners who are also MS owners. Just need to get them in touch with Tesla.

nanimac, don't forget that the legislation doesn't have any teeth to it yet so there are still a lot of parking lots that are supposed to have charging stations but don't. The Iwilei Costco and Home Depot are examples.

nanimac, don't forget that the legislation doesn't have any teeth to it yet so there are still a lot of parking lots that are supposed to have charging stations but don't. The Iwilei Costco and Home Depot are examples.

yes, but I think we're way ahead of other states as far as charging stations per capita. Now if we can just figure out how to stop the Chargers from being leaf'd all the time :tongue: