Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gallup, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at the 2015 map the next supercharger east of this should be around Thoreau, NM near the I-40 / 371 junction. It isn't listed as a coming soon so we can expect it to be a fall 2015 supercharger (possibly dragging into winter).

I'm surprised they are packing the superchargers so tightly in the NM I-40 area. Is there a big elevation change there or is it the heat or is it some other reason I'm not thinking of?

Looking at the 2015 map the next supercharger east of this should be around Thoreau, NM near the I-40 / 371 junction. It isn't listed as a coming soon so we can expect it to be a fall 2015 supercharger (possibly dragging into winter).

I'm surprised they are packing the superchargers so tightly in the NM I-40 area. Is there a big elevation change there or is it the heat or is it some other reason I'm not thinking of?

See I-40 — Marching Towards OKC - Latest Table and I-40 — Tesla Map Overlay.

It looks like the next Supercharger east of Gallup will be in Grants, NM, but until it's done, it is only 138 miles from Gallup to Albuquerque.

See I-40 — Marching Towards OKC - Latest Table and I-40 — Tesla Map Overlay.

It looks like the next Supercharger east of Gallup will be in Grants, NM, but until it's done, it is only 138 miles from Gallup to Albuquerque.

only 38 miles between Grants and Thoreau either way it seems awfully closely space putting one there between Gallup and Albuquerque so I'm wondering why bother?

Not a fan of superchargers located at hotels. It just means ICE problems.

Yesterday, a big pickup ICE was blocking one of the four charging spots at Gallup. Texas plates, naturally. Skinhead driver was hanging around truck, kept looking at me and my car and the Tesla signs, as if to say he knew exactly what he was doing and what was I going to do about it.

Man I don't like hotel superchargers.

gallup-ice.png

• Informative
Reactions: DriverOne
Warning Gallup SC isn't working correctly as of yesterday afternoon. Of the 4 SC'ers only one was working correctly yesterday afternoon. Only 1A was working correctly. Others would work at a very low charging rate and then stop completely. I reported it to Tesla 24 hour service and they said they would send someone to check it out. I was there about 5 PM.

Hi all,
Plugshare reports multiple problems with either no charging at some charging or markedly reduced at others.
Please post your experience from Dec 3 onwards until problems are resolved.

I'm heading there tomorrow and may amend my plans to to not charge there if needed.

Thanks!

Yeah, did that. The hotel where the SuperCharger is says there is ”no problem”. The exit is “closed” and there is a cop there stopping everyone that exits, but they should let you though to charge if you promise to get right back on the freeway when you are done. Hate to get there and find that the cop is not in a cooperative mode. :(
Tesla really needs to get that other planned supercharger built between Gallup and Albuquerque. ABRP says that even a long range Model 3 can’t make it from Holbrook to Albuquerque without a charging stop.

The wording I'm seeing is that roads are blocked to "nonessential traffic." Logically getting to this supercharger should be considered essential, but who knows how they would rule on that. It may be illuminating to call a truck stop in Gallup and see what kind of experience they are having. If long-haul truckers are allowed to fill up, then certainly you should be able to as well. You also might want to try to hit Gallup in the hours between 8am and 5pm because outside of those hours they are on a curfew and you would likely attract significantly more attention driving around town.

Lastly, I do think a LR3 or S100D could go Holbrook to ABQ or vice versa with a full charge and some careful driving. Just be sure to drive slow and check the winds.

I think getting through the police roadblock is probably very likely, but the PHX TV news interviewed people saying they spent “hours” in line to get into town. The accompanying TV news video appeared to show the main north/south road in Gallup, versus the West-side out of town exit where the supercharger is. But, it freaked out my wife, so we are waiting until midday Monday. :)
Not sure why ABRP says a M3 LR AWD can’t make it 232 miles from Holbrook to Albuquerque; seems doable, but ABRP says to stay under 56 mph! (I plugged in 95%->10% just to be have a little buffer)

According to an article on krqe.com, “NMSP (New Mexico State Police) says travelers heading through New Mexico cannot stop in Gallup for gas, food, or a hotel room.”

Unknown what a conversation with a trooper at the roadblock would yield. I would hope that insufficient charge to make it to the next charger would be considered an emergency.