Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bishop, CA (LIVE 18 Nov 2020, 12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might help with those going to Yosemite via the 395. But for those who go up via the 5. The closest is Harris Ranch and it is a straight drive into Yosemite (180+ miles) of no super charge. Would be good to have one out by Fresno.

Lee Vining, then Minden at the new Holiday Inn at the intersection of 395 and 88 would be perfect IMO. The Holiday Inn has lots of parking in the back and most is not yet landscaped.

- - - Updated - - -

Or.... Carson City

I like the Minden location at the US395/NV88 junction! Makes it easy from Manteca across the Sierra over Carson Pass or even Ebbets Pass (when open.) I know that there are several SC located at Holiday Inn Express--is this a regular Holiday Inn or the Express version?

It is not clear if Bishop will be written off as yet. We really do not know the extent of the Supercharger build out. We don't know if Tesla is contemplating installing one in Tonopah (for example) to reach Ely via US6 (and also to help the Vegas-Reno crowd.) We also do not know the future plans for Supercharging with the Model III and the extent of its range over all battery sizes. US395 between Bishop and Gardnerville/Minden does not offer much as far as reasonably decent places to stop and spend 30-40 minutes Supercharging, particularly in winter. Mammoth is good, but several miles off the highway, and only about 50 miles from Bishop. And as others have pointed out, the north junction of US395/SR120 is great when the Whoa Nellie Deli is open, but to slog a half mile north into Lee Vining in winter could be troublesome, especially at night. Bridgeport has a Best Western just north of the junction with SR182 and a Shell station on the west end of town, but not much else.

We are just going to have to stay tuned!

- - - Updated - - -

This might help with those going to Yosemite via the 395. But for those who go up via the 5. The closest is Harris Ranch and it is a straight drive into Yosemite (180+ miles) of no super charge. Would be good to have one out by Fresno.

I believe that Fresno will be in their sights sometime in 2016--maybe Visalia and/or Bakersfield as well, but do not quote me. And you would be taking SR99 to get to Fresno from Ft. Tejon, bypassing Harris Ranch, less than 200 range miles.

I like the Minden location at the US395/NV88 junction! Makes it easy from Manteca across the Sierra over Carson Pass or even Ebbets Pass (when open.) I know that there are several SC located at Holiday Inn Express--is this a regular Holiday Inn or the Express version?

It is the Express and Suites Version.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/''/Holiday+inn+Minden/@38.958114,-119.8115798,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x8099bd853d0b62fb:0x660beeedf7bb68e3!2m2!1d-119.777247!2d38.958119

Just stayed there last week, and they were nice enough to allow me to plug into a 110V outlet on the exterior of the building.

There is a brand new Tesla 80 amp charger in Minden 6 blocks away in front of the farmers bank building. I posted it on plugshare.

I charged there about 3 months ago. It was a 208v system with J1772.
Are you saying that they have added a Tesla HPWC to the stand?

Yep, brand new with the plastic still on the handle as of last week. I talked with one of the employees, and the owner has a roadster and the Model S to be delivered soon. A microbrewery is going in across the street owned by the same person from what I was told.

It is not clear if Bishop will be written off as yet. We really do not know the extent of the Supercharger build out. We don't know if Tesla is contemplating installing one in Tonopah (for example) to reach Ely via US6 (and also to help the Vegas-Reno crowd.) We also do not know the future plans for Supercharging with the Model III and the extent of its range over all battery sizes. US395 between Bishop and Gardnerville/Minden does not offer much as far as reasonably decent places to stop and spend 30-40 minutes Supercharging, particularly in winter. Mammoth is good, but several miles off the highway, and only about 50 miles from Bishop. And as others have pointed out, the north junction of US395/SR120 is great when the Whoa Nellie Deli is open, but to slog a half mile north into Lee Vining in winter could be troublesome, especially at night. Bridgeport has a Best Western just north of the junction with SR182 and a Shell station on the west end of town, but not much else.

We are just going to have to stay tuned!

- - - Updated - - -

I believe that Fresno will be in their sights sometime in 2016--maybe Visalia and/or Bakersfield as well, but do not quote me. And you would be taking SR99 to get to Fresno from Ft. Tejon, bypassing Harris Ranch, less than 200 range miles.
As far as priorities go on 395, I think it should be the following:

1. Lee Vining. Essential for E/W 120 travel through Yosemite, and also allows you to reach SLT.

2. SLT. L2 in the area and possible to do Folsom - SLT - Folsom RT, but lots of people visit the lake without staying at a motel/hotel, and a SC would improve convenience and allow more local driving flexibility.

3. Bishop. Necessary for RTs coming from LP or LV that go beyond it and return, but lower priority than the above.

4. Minden/Gardnerville area. Nice for straight-through LV-Reno 395 travel, especially in winter.

As for 99, yeah, Fresno definitely first (Sequoia/Kings Canyon from the northwest, Yosemite from the south); Merced (Yosemite from the west, AW route); and Visalia (alternately Tulare. Sequoia/Mineral King from the southwest). Bakersfield is more important for E-W travel than N-S, if you have Lebec and Visalia. Plus at least one SC east of 99 on 120/108, if not 88/140/41/180/198 as well.

What happened to 101 north of Petaluma? Why are they doing Mountain View/San Mateo/Dublin when the surrounding SCs (Petaluma/Vacaville/Fremont/Manteca/Gilroy) are all within range of each other, while the three needed north of Petaluma are apparently not moving? I do like Monterey/Seaside, though, as 1 south definitely deserves one (or two. I like San Simeon, town rather than castle but either would do).

Last edited:
I dropped by the Whoa Nellie Deli Monday morning and spoke with Denise. (I presume she is the daughter referred to above, as she said her dad was in charge of these things.) She informed me that they were in "process of securing some Tesla HPWC for their property, but needed to do some more work before they could be installed." She also indicated that her dad had been in contact with Tesla's Destination Charging program, and that there were no issues on Tesla's end.

It is entirely possible (just guessing!) that because the summer season is so busy that any sort of infrastructure project like installing a couple of high-amp EV charging stations will be deferred to late autumn after they close for the year or late winter before they open for the summer months. Less congestion (that place is sure crowded from lunch time on most days!) and fewer headaches with the daily operation of a very popular and successful waypoint for all sorts of outdoors enthusiasts and travelers passing through.

As a side note, from Mammoth Lakes to Lee Vining (via June Lake Loop) took me 7.2 kWh (188 wh/mile). From Mammoth Lakes to the Tesla 79A plug in Minden used 26.7 kWh (202 wh/mile.) There are three resorts in Mammoth that have HPWC, so while not necessarily convenient, they are there to enable exploration of the Eastern Sierra Nevada and the high desert. I kept to the speed limit, and there was no wind (and it is generally a south wind in those parts), so your results may be different.

I made it home directly to Fresno from Minden nonstop via Ebbets Pass, using 50.1 kWh (220 wh/mile.) So Minden to Manteca via Carson Pass or Ebbets Pass is easily doable in summers. So, it may be a little more inconvenient and a little longer that having direct access across Tioga Pass, but hey, we bought our cars to drive!

I dropped by the Whoa Nellie Deli Monday morning and spoke with Denise. (I presume she is the daughter referred to above, as she said her dad was in charge of these things.) She informed me that they were in "process of securing some Tesla HPWC for their property, but needed to do some more work before they could be installed." She also indicated that her dad had been in contact with Tesla's Destination Charging program, and that there were no issues on Tesla's end.

It is entirely possible (just guessing!) that because the summer season is so busy that any sort of infrastructure project like installing a couple of high-amp EV charging stations will be deferred to late autumn after they close for the year or late winter before they open for the summer months. Less congestion (that place is sure crowded from lunch time on most days!) and fewer headaches with the daily operation of a very popular and successful waypoint for all sorts of outdoors enthusiasts and travelers passing through. <snip>
That's why I've been nagging Tesla to get SCs built BEFORE the summer tourist season, on many recreation routes (not just Lee Vining)! For LV and Bishop, permits approved NLT April, construction done NLT mid-May (average year). Tesla's got this new invention they're trying to sell; they call it a 'wheel'. People have been begging for LV (Deli or elsewhere) for two years now, and no one at Tesla foresaw that, given limited parking space, construction at the height of tourist season would be problematic? Aaargh! Well, at least the location (even if only HPWC rather than SC) isn't plain dumb, like Superior or Richfield.

There is a brand new Tesla 80 amp charger in Minden 6 blocks away in front of the farmers bank building. I posted it on plugshare.

Wow, I have never seen a HPWC connected to a an Eaton EVSE like this. I only see one hose. Is it a J1772? Is the HPWC there just to get to 80A? Does the Eaton take a credit card ?

The 70A J1772 at the dentist's office in San Luis Obispo has a similar Eaton hooked to a simple credit card reader that rations the power in 30 min increments. The credit card reader is probably much cheaper for the host than paying Chargepoint's monthly networking fee.

86712.jpg

The 70A J1772 at the dentist's office in San Luis Obispo has a similar Eaton hooked to a simple credit card reader that rations the power in 30 min increments. The credit card reader is probably much cheaper for the host than paying Chargepoint's monthly networking fee.

Yep, That's mine..... The credit card monthy fees are are about $15 per month before any transactions. Then they take about 20% of all the transactions. Maybe Chargepoint is better?!

If you come into the office, I will unlock it for free for you!

Wow, I have never seen a HPWC connected to a an Eaton EVSE like this. I only see one hose. Is it a J1772? Is the HPWC there just to get to 80A? Does the Eaton take a credit card ?

View attachment 85866

Hey! I took that picture and posted it on PlugShare! The cable going into the foreground was from the HPWC and was connected to my car. Another dude in a Leaf was parked next to me and was using the J1772. The J1772 uses a ChargePoint card; the HPWC does not. (At least I did not have to swipe mine to operate and received a charge.)

Hey! I took that picture and posted it on PlugShare! The cable going into the foreground was from the HPWC and was connected to my car. Another dude in a Leaf was parked next to me and was using the J1772. The J1772 uses a ChargePoint card; the HPWC does not. (At least I did not have to swipe mine to operate and received a charge.)
Yes, I looked up your Plugshare posting after you reported it in this thread. I apologize for not explicitly giving you credit for your photo. I was interested in whether they had found a way to bill folks for using a HPWC, which could be helpful for hosts not willing to give away electricity.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, That's mine..... The credit card monthy fees are are about $15 per month before any transactions. Then they take about 20% of all the transactions. Maybe Chargepoint is better?!

If you come into the office, I will unlock it for free for you!
Great to hear from you. Actually 15$ per month sounds like a great deal. I am told Chargepoint charges something like $110/mo for their network fee, which seems really excessive. If the host decides that is too much, because they are not recovering their costs, Chargepoint only offers them the option of turning the EVSE off.

I was at your Eaton EVSE in SLO on a day and time when your office was closed. The other dentist office told me about your generous offer, but I was happy to pay the reasonable fee and wait in their lobby. Too bad more potential hosts don't hear about this Eaton alternative to Chargepoint. The host gets a low monthly fee, a J1772 that all EVs can use, and Teslas with dual chargers can charge at 70A.

Bishop is a natural overnight spot on trips up to Reno and Burning Man, so maybe it would be easier to get some of the local hotels to install level 2 for their guests?

I assume Tesla heavily subsidizes the destination HPWCs because from a simple flexibility standpoint a J1772 makes much more sense to a hotel owner trying to attract business.

Bishop is a natural overnight spot on trips up to Reno and Burning Man, so maybe it would be easier to get some of the local hotels to install level 2 for their guests?

I assume Tesla heavily subsidizes the destination HPWCs because from a simple flexibility standpoint a J1772 makes much more sense to a hotel owner trying to attract business.
You have revived a thread that is well over 3 years old. :rolleyes:

Tesla gives destination chargers for free to businesses.

Because the Tesla website “Find Us” map now shows Bishop will be getting a Supercharger in 2019 I am changing the title of this thread so that it will be about that specific location.

612EB159-E21E-411D-BF50-85FC324EC72C.jpeg

Reactions: mspohr
Tesla gives destination chargers for free to businesses.
I don't think Tesla does this any longer. Or, they may give/subsidize the actual HPWC but no longer will pay for the installations. Or maybe they've just become much more choosy about agreeing to locations. I recall from one of the threads discussing charging in West Texas before the installation of the Ft. Stockton or Pecos, TX superchargers, someone tried to get a hotel or small municipality to install something in the area. And Tesla's reply was basically that they didn't do that anymore for "destinations". I see on their website they've added something about workplace charging, but I can't find any details which spell out if Tesla is willing to actually pay for things and give free equipment any more.

[Moderator note: this post was moved from the Inyokern Supercharger thread]

Off topic, but I'll let someone else create a new thread.

I just found a proposal for Bishop and 12 superchargers. City Council Meeting - Aug 26th, 2019

151 S. Warren Street. It's a city-owned lot, so entire cost borne by Tesla.

Not a great location, but better than nothing.

City Council heard the proposal last week. Didn't approve yet, but unclear.

Tesla project manager suggested construction would take 6-8 months after approval.

Last edited by a moderator:
[Moderator note: this post was moved from the Inyokern Supercharger thread]

Off topic, but I'll let someone else create a new thread.

I just found a proposal for Bishop and 12 superchargers. City Council Meeting - Aug 26th, 2019

151 S. Warren Street. It's a city-owned lot, so entire cost borne by Tesla.

Not a great location, but better than nothing.

City Council heard the proposal last week. Didn't approve yet, but unclear.

Tesla project manager suggested construction would take 6-8 months after approval.
Lots of interesting information in that document. Who knew there was such a parking shortage in Bishop!
It says Tesla has been unable to find any businesses to take the supercharger location. In 2014 they also proposed putting one on city property but were denied. Seems like they're waiting for more public comment. I sure hope it gets approved this time.
Proposed location: Google Maps

Last edited: