Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bishop, CA (LIVE 18 Nov 2020, 12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[Moderator note: this post was moved from the Inyokern Supercharger thread]

Off topic, but I'll let someone else create a new thread.

I just found a proposal for Bishop and 12 superchargers. City Council Meeting - Aug 26th, 2019

151 S. Warren Street. It's a city-owned lot, so entire cost borne by Tesla.

Not a great location, but better than nothing.

City Council heard the proposal last week. Didn't approve yet, but unclear.

Tesla project manager suggested construction would take 6-8 months after approval.
Glad to see that this thread has been revived. I just listened to the entire Tesla presentation to the City Council. They had some good questions, and Tesla did a fairly good job and answering most. Although, I, along with many of us here, could honestly have answered some questions better. I wish I had known about this meeting. It could have been worth driving up just for the public comment opportunity. There was only one question from the "public", and that was from a guy in the Planning Commission who asked if Tesla ever visited the site at night. They answered in the affirmative, and told them of plans to install lighting. They were very pleased with that. Also, they seemed to hint that these would be v3 superchargers.

Overall, it seems that the City Council was receptive. There was no discussion of the next steps. I imagine Tesla will now submit an application for a permit, which will then go to the Planning Commission.

Looks like this will finally happen folks!! @ecarfan , we could probably change the title to something to the effect of "Plans submitted to city for 12 stalls".

Oh, one last thing: I am attaching the slides from the meeting here. Very fun to review, with excellent CAD drawings.

Attachments

• TESLA_Presentation.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 215
47B3F4B2-459E-4B25-B5A0-8F0A89600D3F.jpeg

In the local Bishop newspaper today

Minor update: Bishop does not seem to have online permit search capabilities. I am guessing that the next best place to get any info would be the Planning Commission. Their next meeting of Sept 24 has now been postponed. They have a "special" meeting schedule for Oct. 8th.

• Informative
Reactions: gnavi
Update!!
Tesla has finalized their agreement with the City of Bishop for their supercharger!!! Long overdue. This was unanimously approved by the city council during their meeting of 9/23/2019.
  • 12 stalls (not clarified if Urban, classic or V3)

@ecarfan
@BlueShift

I was foolishly looking at the Planning Commission site, but this was actually going through their Public Works dept. (who do not post online), so I went back to the last City Council meeting and found it there. The only concern raised, was by someone from the Planning Commission, who wanted to make sure the city retains control over parking in the region, allowing others to park in those spots if no one is charging. They already agreed to allow this, though only for a limited amount of time (not defined), to ensure that if a Tesla was to arrive, they would be able to find a spot (very nice of them). It was also noted that there is sufficient parking available in that lot, leaving little concern for either Tesla or the local businesses.

Here is a link to the discussion, but it is a little boring: https://bishop-ca.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=1&clip_id=762&meta_id=53240
Here is the actual agreement attached:

Attachments

• Tesla Bishop Agreement.pdf
    656.8 KB · Views: 221
Great news! But does a permit still need to be issued?
Yes, that's just an agreement so the real work can start.

Anyway, that's a good splitter. It splits a 100 mile gap that's south of a 99 mile gap, which means that it should really help optimize charging and spread out any Supercharger use along that route. It is also at an intersection that allows connection to Tonopah, NV.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Great news! But does a permit still need to be issued?
Not sure, and not sure what difference it makes except for the thread title. The extensive video discussion seems more than sufficient to me. Being Bishop, there is no way we will ever see an actual hard copy of the permit unless someone wants to drive to the permit office and make a formal request. Really not necessary for me.

Since we will never have any hard evidence until construction starts, may I recommend that you change the thread title to "Supercharger - Bishop (Approved 9/23/2019, 12 stalls)" until then?

Bishop, CA

Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-395
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-395

To: Mammoth Lakes, CA - 42.3 miles
Diversion: 0.2 miles
To: Gardnerville, NV - 134.6 miles

To: Tonopah, NV (US-395, US-6) - 115.6 miles
To: Hawthorne, NV (US-395, US-6, US-95) - 119.4 miles

An excellent splitter for Southern US-395, that will allow for some more natural stopping between Inyokern, CA and Gardnerville, NV, in particular making it more likely that people will be able to avoid the diversion at Mammoth Lakes.

Reactions: mspohr