Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bishop, CA (LIVE 18 Nov 2020, 12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just reviewed the same area on their website a few weeks ago, and no such pin existed at that time. Is Bishop a heavily used station? Every time that I have been there, I was the only one charging. Admittedly, I am often there at odd hours.

Maybe? I would imagine its pretty dead Monday through Thursday and very busy on weekends, and mornings and evenings around ski hours. Anyone going to Mammoth stops there on the way to ski, or on the way home. How can one tell if it's a v3 or v4? I haven't paid much attention so maybe v4's aren't in the works yet in the US. My personal speculation has been we won't see any more CCS magic dock stations until V4s arrive. But that's just a guess.

I always like to get a SC with the lowest rate of charge possible, for the fasting rate of charge upon arrival. With the larger batteries like I have, I find it is a pretty easy climb up the hill after charging in Lone Pine, which I can easily hit from West LA. I find it difficult to get to Bishop on a single charge. I can probably make it if it is not too cold or windy, and I don't have my entire family with me.
Coming down the hill, I typically can make it all the way back home without charging, and certainly with smaller batteries, to Lone Pine.

I guess the biggest need for additional stalls is to compensate for the flood of non-Teslas that will be using them soon enough.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
I always like to get a SC with the lowest rate of charge possible, for the fasting rate of charge upon arrival. With the larger batteries like I have, I find it is a pretty easy climb up the hill after charging in Lone Pine, which I can easily hit from West LA. I find it difficult to get to Bishop on a single charge. I can probably make it if it is not too cold or windy, and I don't have my entire family with me.
Coming down the hill, I typically can make it all the way back home without charging, and certainly with smaller batteries, to Lone Pine.

I guess the biggest need for additional stalls is to compensate for the flood of non-Teslas that will be using them soon enough.
I do the supercharger hop, come in as low as possible and just charge enough to make it to the next one to keep the charging below the taper.

I think you nailed it, I would assume any new charger will be the ones with Magic Docks that can charge non-Teslas. Would make a lot of sense on this stretch of road.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
I think you nailed it, I would assume any new charger will be the ones with Magic Docks that can charge non-Teslas. Would make a lot of sense on this stretch of road.

Do you think that means it's a V4? The largest complaints on those prototype V3's was cable length, and low voltage for the 800v class vehicles. But I agree, that 395 stretch needs more - EA now has a "coming soon" in Lone Pine, but I have seen too many people post they have gotten stranded at EA Coso Junction when it was down. We need redundancy.

Do you think that means it's a V4? The largest complaints on those prototype V3's was cable length, and low voltage for the 800v class vehicles. But I agree, that 395 stretch needs more - EA now has a "coming soon" in Lone Pine, but I have seen too many people post they have gotten stranded at EA Coso Junction when it was down. We need redundancy.
I hope so but I don't have a crystal ball. I'm not sure we have seen a V4 in the USA yet.

I think the biggest issue is charge port location on non-Teslas so as long as they make the parking spaces bigger or front/back/pull-through stalls that would help so all plugs could be utilized.

Reactions: danrjones
I hope so but I don't have a crystal ball. I'm not sure we have seen a V4 in the USA yet.

I think the biggest issue is charge port location on non-Teslas so as long as they make the parking spaces bigger or front/back/pull-through stalls that would help so all plugs could be utilized.

I just spotted a coming soon pin in Mojave as well. Maybe these are using the new FED $. I know they had said they would use that mostly along travel routes, outside the major metro areas.

• Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom
Just an fyi, the last couple of times I have been here over the last 2 months, I have noticed a couple of the SCs that start fine, but after a few minutes when the charge rate gets high (like above 180kW or more,) they suddenly stop with an error. Not just our car. I notice a couple other folks disconnecting and reconnecting or moving their car. I ask why and they told me the same thing. Keep an eye on the charging with the app if you walk away or else you may come back later only to find out that your car stopped charging. It seems to only happen when the charge rate gets fairly high.

You were a brave soul travelling that corridor on New Years Day (ICE or EV). I avoid travel through there on New Years Day as much as possible.
Yeah, but were lucky I guess. Left West LA around 10am. Had no traffic going up, but there was a steady line of cars coming down.
I actually made a mistake, posting this in the wrong thread. LP listed all 16 stalls available, but every one was taken. I skipped it though, since we were hungry and ate at Workz. We then charged at the new Bishop location where the kids went shopping at Big 5, while I shopped at Meadow Farms.