Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bethesda, MD (Permanently Closed, Oct 2016)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another picture that was uploaded today to Facebook. A bit closer in. Hopefully these aren't too far out.

1743546_10152007255053141_1169274385_n.jpg

Are therse temporary or permanent?

Another picture that was uploaded today to Facebook. A bit closer in. Hopefully these aren't too far out.

View attachment 42056

An earlier post said this was a temporary installation. Do we know if this is indeed temporary or is it permanent? The only temporary aspect I can see is that it's mobile, in the sense that it's on a movable base. It's looking pretty permanent to me.:wink:

As of 30 minutes ago, the installation of the supercharger at Montgomery Mall (or Westfields Montgomery, as you foreigners insist on calling it) was complete and the unit was operational. BUT it still needs to pass final inspections before they can turn it loose on the world. This could happen as early as tomorrow, according to the dudes working at the Tesla store inside the mall. Also, they believe that the unit may have a longer-term future than originally planned, based on the higher-than-predicted cost of installation and depending on how much traffic it gets. It was news to me (but may not be to you better-informed vets) that the unit can only give 1 car a full-speed supercharge at a time. It can service two cars simultaneously but the charging speed will be reduced.

It was news to me (but may not be to you better-informed vets) that the unit can only give 1 car a full-speed supercharge at a time. It can service two cars simultaneously but the charging speed will be reduced.

Yeah, that's typical for supercharging site. Each supercharger CABINET supports two plugs, but can only deliver 120 kW total. So if two cars are plugged in, it splits the load (the split gets complicated, I won't get into that). This is why you see plug sequencing of 1A / 2A / 3A / 4A / 1B / 2B / 3B / 4B at supercharging sites. The 1A and 1B plugs are sharing a cabinet, but are not adjacent so less likely to be in use at the same time.

As of 30 minutes ago, the installation of the supercharger at Montgomery Mall (or Westfields Montgomery, as you foreigners insist on calling it) was complete and the unit was operational. BUT it still needs to pass final inspections before they can turn it loose on the world. This could happen as early as tomorrow, according to the dudes working at the Tesla store inside the mall. Also, they believe that the unit may have a longer-term future than originally planned, based on the higher-than-predicted cost of installation and depending on how much traffic it gets. It was news to me (but may not be to you better-informed vets) that the unit can only give 1 car a full-speed supercharge at a time. It can service two cars simultaneously but the charging speed will be reduced.

Great news, thanks for the update!

A nice thing about this location is that there are also HPWC's right there. So if both of the superchargers were occupied, then they could at least gain some charge while waiting for the superchargers to become available.

The timing of this installation seems somewhat convenient given the cross-country Supercharger run kicking off this week. Although, I would be surprised if their route dipped so far south to hit Bethesda only to turn north for 100+ miles to go to Newark. Alternatively, it's a nice showcase for the politicos that can't venture beyond the Beltway.

Just got this email from Tesla. They do seem to insinuate that it is temporary. (I hope not).

Tesla Superchargers are now just a road trip away.
Visit teslamotors.com to learn more about Tesla Supercharging and Model S.
supercharger_now_open_498x332_02.jpg
Bethesda Supercharger Now Open!
crm_map_marker_13x16.png
Bethesda Supercharger
7101 Democracy Blvd, Bethesda, MD 20817
crm_clock_15x15.png
24 hrs/day
crm_lightning_bolt_13x21.png
Charging Stalls - 2
The planet’s fastest charging station is now just a road trip away! We are excited to announce our latest Supercharger in Bethesda, Maryland located at the Montgomery Mall Gallery. The Bethesda Superchargerrepresents another step in the development of the East Coast corridor. The Bethesda Supercharger is a Mobile Supercharging Unit designed to support customers while we complete construction of an 8-stall permanent Supercharger location in Woodbridge, Virginia opening soon.
Incredibly Fast, Always Free
Superchargers can recharge half the capacity of Model S in as little as 20 minutes and are strategically placed to allow owners the ability to drive from station to station while minimizing stops. Superchargers are conveniently located off major highways near cafes, shopping centers and travel plazas.
Ready to Learn More?
Visit our Montgomery Mall Gallery and get to know the award winning Model S. Request an appointment today!
find_us_150x50.png

So if you look at the pictures on this one, you can kinda get a feeling for the size of the area there. Basically, Tesla reserved 4 parking spots in the mall along that wall. So at the most they would get 4 stalls installed in that area. I would think if they were going to expand it, it might be better to move it to a different location. If you also notice they have a chain link there to block off the area to prevent the spots from getting ICEd. This actually happened when I went for a test drive, and we ended up closing off the chain in behind the car since he jacked the spot. So I can only imagine how bad it would get having the spots "open" now for Tesla's to pull in and their removal of the chain. Anyone notice any spots getting ICEd?

Personally if they want to make that location more permanent, I think they should move it outside the garage to one of the farther away parking areas to help prevent it from being likely to get ICEd and then they can take up like 8 spots and it will be less of an issue. Just my 2 cents.

Great news. Will they change the structure are all? Add more stalls? I always thought it was odd that it may be temporary.

I mentioned in an earlier post when I caught the first pics of this one that the contractor on site told me that the plans showed eventually having 4 stalls there. He said the one he was installing (that went live yesterday) would remain and one individual would be added on each side (I assume where their HPWCs currently are). Not sure how reliable his info is, but I guess we'll see.