Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger — Kingsland, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
purplewalt ,
Of course you are correct - there are/were a number of Supercharger gaps that a 60 couldn't negotiate (Barstow to Kingman, for instance). However, there were workarounds and I could get to most places I wanted to go in an S60 (note: I picked up my S60 at the factory and drove home when there were just 4 Superchargers in California).

My point was that a number of bloggers seem to think an S60 is somehow inferior because it can only go 200 miles. This is nonsense, and our trip around the U.S. 1.5 years ago kind of proved to us and many other Tesla owners that it was not only possible, but very enjoyable. Of course I would have an S85, if I was able to spend $100,000 on my car, but that wasn't the case when I purchased my S60. I really don't feel left out because of my purchase and I have put more long distance miles on my car (60,000) than many S85 owners.

Not feeling defensive, just irritated that I read so many comments that imply the S60 is, somehow, some kind of inferior car - and wouldn't be considered by a 'real' EV owner. Heck, the Leaf is a great car for city driving purposes, but I wouldn't want to make a long trip with it.

Craig - Thanks for your perspective on the 60. I almost bought a 60, but managed to stretch to the 85, thanks to the stock runup in the 2012/2013 timeframe. Having just taken a long roadtrip (7,200 miles), being able to "make it" to the next supercharger isn't the only issue for the road tripper. On my trip, I had a couple of legs that were ~200 miles. Before those legs, I had to do a range charge to get the required range, and have an adequate buffer for speed, weight, and climate. Needing to do a range charge increased my stopover time from 30 minutes to about 55 minutes. In a perfect road trip world, you'd almost never have to do a range charge. 25 to 35 minutes and you're on your way.

btw - On rare occasions I arrived at a heavily used supercharger (like San Diego), where 2/3 of the stalls were in use (mostly by locals). The reduced charging rate (due to sharing) doubles your stopover time in those situations. Sorry if I was a little off topic, but lots of I-95 drivers will be happy when the Kingsland, GA supercharger comes on line.

I look forward to this SpC opening up. I'm not a big fan of the Savannah site and think this would be better en route to FL. St. Augustine is ok but it usually costs me about 5X what gas would because I'm waiting at an outlet mall : )

Greenville SC looks like it will be live any minute and Asheville NC is also under construction. This is just fantastic for the region! Thank you Tesla for doing what you said you would do!

I look forward to this SpC opening up. I'm not a big fan of the Savannah site and think this would be better en route to FL. St. Augustine is ok but it usually costs me about 5X what gas would because I'm waiting at an outlet mall : )

Greenville SC looks like it will be live any minute and Asheville NC is also under construction. This is just fantastic for the region! Thank you Tesla for doing what you said you would do!

I think the Savannah SC is about the least loved SC of all. Sadly, immediately off the exit the other direction, there is about 25 restaurants, a Tanger outlet, and multiple other shops. I am really surprised that Tesla put that SC at the airport - unless they soon add another in a more suitable location near all of these restaurants, etc. I'm sure in time, I-95 will be one of the most traveled roads in a Tesla. I, for one, would hate to have to charge there.

I think the Savannah SC is about the least loved SC of all. Sadly, immediately off the exit the other direction, there is about 25 restaurants, a Tanger outlet, and multiple other shops. I am really surprised that Tesla put that SC at the airport - unless they soon add another in a more suitable location near all of these restaurants, etc. I'm sure in time, I-95 will be one of the most traveled roads in a Tesla. I, for one, would hate to have to charge there.

The airport location has only 2 benefits. You can get a Nathans hot-dog, the other is that the bathrooms are always available.

My Tesla broke down at the Savannah Supercharger, and the experience with Enterprise Rent-A-Car was absolutely terrible!! Enterprise at the airport would not honor the Tesla made reservation and the other Savannah Enterprise location would not pick me up at the airport, nor would they transfer a car to the airport for me. I did not find that out until 10 minutes before the other Savannah location was to close. The other airport car rental agencies either had no cars available, or they would not rent me a drop-off car. Therefore, I had to spend the night at a local hotel.

Mods, how about moving this to a "Savannah Supercharger" thread.
This thread is for the Kingsland supercharger and there is very little relevant information here.
Could someone in the area please post an update on the construction!

Some pictures of Kingsland Supercharger from this morning.
IMG_0355.JPG
IMG_0351.JPG

Some pictures of Kingsland Supercharger from this morning.

Hooray! THANK YOU Kutu!

Thank you for the pics! Do I see the corner of a transformer on the far right side past the cabinets?

Good catch! That's one more hurdle.

Mods, how about moving this to a "Savannah Supercharger" thread.
This thread is for the Kingsland supercharger and there is very little relevant information here.

FYI, jrreno, you can help keep this threads on topic by flagging offending posts via the little exclamation-point-triangle symbol at the bottom left of each post. Click on that, and in the subsequent form (that goes to the mods) request that they move the comment to the appropriate thread AND THEN PROVIDE A LINK TO THAT THREAD. But don't use it to just complain, rather complain constructively :) --give them the link and they'll get it done very quickly. I've already done the report for the Savannah chit chat above, and they'll probably be moved over by the time you read this.

Thanks for the photos. Not only is the transformer in place, but the meter is also.

With the worker connecting the cables to the Supercharger Cabinets, and the site looking pretty good, the final checkout by the Tesla Technicians could happen in a few days.

The supercharge.info site is clocking this at 10 days. If they finish next week it could beat the Binghamton time!

Err! Given our Greenville experience, I'd say another month

Contractor hands off site to tesla electricians after physical build is complete - they take a few days to wire stuff up...

Power company hookup after the electrical build is 100% completed - could be a week

Inspector certification - a few more days

Tesla tunes each pedestal and tests each - a few more days!!!

Need I say more?