Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Commerce, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChrisC

see signature
Apr 27, 2009
Atlanta, GA
A new supercharger site popped up on Plugshare:

110 Banks Crossing Dr
Commerce, GA 30529

From the map marker placement, it looks like it's located behind the QuikTrip gas station, so you can navigate to that. Non-Tesla drivers will already be familiar with the area, as there's an Electrify America site across the street at the Walmart -- one of the first EA sites in Georgia actually, installed Fall 2018.

It looks pretty much done already, save for the utility transformer (not seen in the pictures posted so far).

Great! I've always thought this area (distance between Greenville and Atlanta) could use a location. The only downside is that it is rather busy because of the outlets. This plugs a large hole.

And at a QT?! My favorite gas station. This is the first time I've seen the partnership, although I don't follow locations outside my driving area. Here in NC its only Sheetz. Love this.

Great! I've always thought this area (distance between Greenville and Atlanta) could use a location. The only downside is that it is rather busy because of the outlets. This plugs a large hole.

And at a QT?! My favorite gas station. This is the first time I've seen the partnership, although I don't follow locations outside my driving area. Here in NC its only Sheetz. Love this.
Fair Play, SC has been around for 2 years and has 12 stalls just fyi.

I don’t think it’s a partnership with QT either, just near one in the parking lot behind it.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsight and ChrisC
Commerce, GA

Host Type: Mall
Host: The Shoppes at Banks Crossing
Along Primary Interstates: I-85
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-441
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-85

To: Fair Play, SC - 34.5 miles
Diversion: 0.9 miles
To: Piedmont, SC - 69.3 miles

US-441

To: Pigeon Forge, TN - 150.6 miles
Diversion: 0.8 miles
To: Powell, TN - 192.9 miles (Construction)

Fill those holes!

Mini-splitter on I-85, splitting the 3rd largest gap of 69.3 miles.

Also on US-441.

Reactions: Kewmpie1
Ohhh, that's interesting that it's on US 441 as well, I hadn't realized that. US 441 (and US 82) are the two non-interstate arteries across the state that Georgia DOT is targeting for NEVI deployment over the next couple years. Dublin (US-441 and I-16) and Metter (US-441 and I-20) went out for RFP last month.

• Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
Ohhh, that's interesting that it's on US 441 as well, I hadn't realized that. US 441 (and US 82) are the two non-interstate arteries across the state that Georgia DOT is targeting for NEVI deployment over the next couple years. Dublin (US-441 and I-16) and Metter (US-441 and I-20) went out for RFP last month.

RFPs:

Tesla added Dublin and Metter fairly recently. But maybe they can ask to expand them.

NEVI highway map, with current compliance and holes: Page 44.

1694377912032.png

Reactions: Thunder7ga
If this is NEVI compliant wonder if there is chance of it being V4 with at least a few Magic Docks (or all to be compliant)? Of course it could be V3 with some or all Magic Docks but Tesla needs to move to the V4 for cable length and hopefully 800V (assuming the Cybertruck uses 800V architecture).

Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 6.33.56 PM.png

If this is NEVI compliant wonder if there is chance of it being V4 with at least a few Magic Docks (or all to be compliant)? Of course it could be V3 with some or all Magic Docks but Tesla needs to move to the V4 for cable length and hopefully 800V (assuming the Cybertruck uses 800V architecture).

View attachment 972742
This site doesn't qualify for NEVI. There's already the Electrify America that satisfies the criteria so Commerce doesn't need another location.
The map in the RFP (better than the earlier one I gave above) shows in yellow the gaps that need to be filled to make gaps 50 miles or less. Also, this RFP has 5 specific areas in Southern Georgia. Tesla already has Superchargers in all of the listed locations so they could potentially upgrade/expand those sites to V4 to qualify.
1694404837004.png

The RFP gives the 5 areas, with maps of possible exits to consider. The 5 areas can be summarized from the boxes in the TECH- forms:
1694404734231.png

This site doesn't qualify for NEVI. There's already the Electrify America that satisfies the criteria so Commerce doesn't need another location.
The map in the RFP (better than the earlier one I gave above) shows in yellow the gaps that need to be filled to make gaps 50 miles or less. Also, this RFP has 5 specific areas in Southern Georgia. Tesla already has Superchargers in all of the listed locations so they could potentially upgrade/expand those sites to V4 to qualify.
View attachment 972844
The RFP gives the 5 areas, with maps of possible exits to consider. The 5 areas can be summarized from the boxes in the TECH- forms:
View attachment 972843
Just curious, why would the Tesla sites need to be V4 to qualify for NEVI? After all, beginning next year, the vast majority of EVs being sold in the US will be able to use all Tesla superchargers (some will need an adapter). And starting with the 2025 model year the vast majority will be able to use superchargers with no adapter.

Just curious, why would the Tesla sites need to be V4 to qualify for NEVI? After all, beginning next year, the vast majority of EVs being sold in the US will be able to use all Tesla superchargers (some will need an adapter). And starting with the 2025 model year the vast majority will be able to use superchargers with no adapter.
Because when the rule that regulates NEVI finding was written, other automakers hadn't signed onto NACS and as a consequence (or really a pre-consequence!) it specifically calls out CCS:

Connector Types​

This final rule establishes a requirement that each DCFC port must have a Combined Charging System (CCS) Type 1 connectors. This final rule also allows DCFC charging ports to have other non-proprietary connectors so long as each DCFC charging port is capable of charging a CCS-compliant vehicle.

Because NEVI requires a contactless card reader and they haven't demonstrated a V3 card reader, while they have an open V4 demo site in the UK with card readers.

Plus, of course, NEVI also requires CCS, and will likely continue to require CCS, at least a significant amount of time beyond the point NACS is a ratified standard with 1000V support. While Magic Dock allows V3 to support CCS, the short cable length means that some CCS vehicles will take up multiple parking spaces so is far from ideal for locations supporting CCS.

Last edited:
After all, beginning next year, the vast majority of EVs being sold in the US will be able to use all Tesla superchargers (some will need an adapter). And starting with the 2025 model year the vast majority will be able to use superchargers with no adapter.

I'm sure this is thoroughly discussed in other threads here on TMC, but I wouldn't count on those hardware deployments (both) going perfectly smoothly and on schedule. When the first adapter and interface shipments do start, I guarantee that there will be hiccups -- mechanical fit issues, heating issues, software integration issues, you name it ... Keep in mind that Tesla doesn't have a reputation for quality, which likely extends to their NACS interface documentation. I'm sure the SAE working group is slogging through those details that right now, finding and addressing the problems. That SAE effort is targeted for completion by end of year, but you know mfgs will try to jump the gun and anticipate the standard (happens literally every day) which means some out-of-spec hardware will likely come out first. I don't doubt that all this will get resolved, but it ain't gonna happen on the timeline that Ford (drinking Tesla koolaid) thinks it will. I'd add a full year to both.

I'm sure this is thoroughly discussed in other threads here on TMC, but I wouldn't count on those hardware deployments (both) going perfectly smoothly and on schedule. When the first adapter and interface shipments do start, I guarantee that there will be hiccups -- mechanical fit issues, heating issues, software integration issues, you name it ... Keep in mind that Tesla doesn't have a reputation for quality, which likely extends to their NACS interface documentation. I'm sure the SAE working group is slogging through those details that right now, finding and addressing the problems. That SAE effort is targeted for completion by end of year, but you know mfgs will try to jump the gun and anticipate the standard (happens literally every day) which means some out-of-spec hardware will likely come out first. I don't doubt that all this will get resolved, but it ain't gonna happen on the timeline that Ford (drinking Tesla koolaid) thinks it will. I'd add a full year to both.
Tbh, I'm more worried about the software integration. Tesla is the best of the bunch at that, but they still don't have much of a track record.

Some of these other companies have done very poorly with software in the past. I expect a lot of finger pointing.

Reactions: RTPEV
Appreciate all the responses to my question. I guess my takeaway is that due to various reasons (many of which come down to government’s inability to adapt quickly to market conditions) we are now going to see millions or billions of dollars spent to fund installation of dead man walking CCS chargers. And I know some will respond and say “but CCS still exists and will for many years” and yeah, I hear you. But the latest estimate I saw was that over 60% of all EVs in the US currently use the NACS plug. And given Tesla’s market dominance and all the other OEMs switching to NACS, that number is only going to grow. It’s shameful we’re wasting money installing CCS chargers (my opinion of course).

Appreciate all the responses to my question. I guess my takeaway is that due to various reasons (many of which come down to government’s inability to adapt quickly to market conditions) we are now going to see millions or billions of dollars spent to fund installation of dead man walking CCS chargers. And I know some will respond and say “but CCS still exists and will for many years” and yeah, I hear you. But the latest estimate I saw was that over 60% of all EVs in the US currently use the NACS plug. And given Tesla’s market dominance and all the other OEMs switching to NACS, that number is only going to grow. It’s shameful we’re wasting money installing CCS chargers (my opinion of course).
Worse, I expect to still see some deployments of chademo, which has basically been a zombie for years now.

At least good adapters exist for CCS.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Worse, I expect to still see some deployments of chademo, which has basically been a zombie for years now.

At least good adapters exist for CCS.
Yep! we will, and I hate that in Georgia and Alabama their installing CPE250 chargers to stay NEVI compliant. The vast majority of evs aren't 800v architecture so the most they can get off those chargers LINKED is 84kw. They just skirt the 100kw minimum power requirement by claiming that these chargers linked can do 125kw on an 800v car. These chargers aren't fast enough to be located in gas stations, and I think they're a waste of public money. (A split system ABB or SK Signant system would be much better)

Yep! we will, and I hate that in Georgia and Alabama their installing CPE250 chargers to stay NEVI compliant. The vast majority of evs aren't 800v architecture so the most they can get off those chargers LINKED is 84kw. They just skirt the 100kw minimum power requirement by claiming that these chargers linked can do 125kw on an 800v car. These chargers aren't fast enough to be located in gas stations, and I think they're a waste of public money. (A split system ABB or SK Signant system would be much better)
Wow, I had no idea that the cpe250 was considered nevi compliant. That is ridiculous. Noone should still be deploying those at gas stations like that.

The Chargepoint CPE250 is absolutely not NEVI compliant, so you can just stop that jawboning right there :) Nor is the new CPE280 that has just started deploying (an iterated design that offers 80+80=160 kW). It's just that the Chargepoint solution is very popular with municipalities and utilities when they have a local mandate to deploy some kind of infrastructure (e.g. directive from the public service commission, green funding, whatever) but don't have the wildly higher budget to do a full NEVI-compliant install (4 x 150 kW) or aren't near an interstate anyway. CP checks a lot of boxes that these customers often have open, including OCPP and tons of actual deployment experience. And in my long experience the CP hardware is much better than every other competitor in their segment -- EVgo, Franklin, Blink, the old Signets. All you have to do is look at the promised rollouts in Alabama and Florida -- the Chargepoint sites are up and running, and the others are either not working or not even started. The CPE250 / CPE280 sites are slower but they work, and when a station is not working great it has usually failed gracefully and just offers less power. Tesla and Electrify America are at a whole other level of power and robustness-- and whole other price point. At the budget levels that the smaller customers are at, Chargepoint is just fine.

Now, I absolutely agree that it is completely disingenuous BS that the CPE250 got counted as meeting the 100 kW requirement in a lot of RFPs, when it only does so for 800V cars, and then only when pairing is working. But it's got nothing to do with NEVI and you won't see those used for NEVI.

Can you tell that I remember how much worse all this used to be? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce