Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SunCountry Level 3 Chargers - Input please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would make the fee 25 cents per minute in the parking space - whether you are charging or not - plugged in or not. That works out to $15 per hour.

The purpose of these chargers is to enable long distance travel. It is not to provide opportunistic electrons for people who can just as easily charge at home.
If I need to charge to get to my destination, I want the charger to be available for me - not clogged by someone topping up who doesn't need it.
I am totally happy to pay $30 for 2 hours of charging to be able to get to my destination.

The purpose of these chargers is to enable long distance travel. It is not to provide opportunistic electrons for people who can just as easily charge at home.

These aren't Superchargers. The vast majority of EVs that can use these stations aren't meant for long distance travel.

There are a lot of existing or potential LEAF and i-MiEV drivers who live in apartments and cannot easily charge at home. These same drivers may need CHAdeMO top-offs just to make it back from work, especially in the Winter. So, no, any scheme intended to restrict these stations to refueling Teslas on long-distance trips is going to be sub-optimal.

These aren't Superchargers. The vast majority of EVs that can use these stations aren't meant for long distance travel.

There are a lot of existing or potential LEAF and i-MiEV drivers who live in apartments and cannot easily charge at home. These same drivers may need CHAdeMO top-offs just to make it back from work, especially in the Winter. So, no, any scheme intended to restrict these stations to refueling Teslas on long-distance trips is going to be sub-optimal.

At 50kW a top up charge to get a Leaf home is going to take 20 minutes or less. 20 minutes is $5 under my scheme. Everyone who needs the charge to get home will appreciate it being available when they need it instead of being wasted by someone who doesn't. $5 seems like a reasonable threshold to keep people from wasting the resource.

Charging the Tesla owner $30 to sit there for 2 hours also protects the Leaf owners from the Tesla that would block it for long periods of time when they don't really need to.

Having to pay to use the resource is a good thing.

You want the price high enough that only people who need it will use it but not too high that no one uses it and no further stations are built. $10/hr would be fair I think but don't know the energy prices, equipment costs....etc

Better yet, they could get ABB to license the interface and plug from Tesla, and make a three-headed beast that can charge Teslas directly!

This is a much better idea than requiring CHAdeMo adapters to be used.

I certainly hope Tesla will support third parties that want to make DC fast chargers with Model S compatible plugs. This would be a big boost to Tesla Motors and to customers.

Having more charging options will help sell EVs.

GSP

This is a much better idea than requiring CHAdeMo adapters to be used.
I certainly hope Tesla will support third parties that want to make DC fast chargers with Model S compatible plugs. This would be a big boost to Tesla Motors and to customers.
Having more charging options will help sell EVs.
GSP
What he said.

Any time you have to use an adapter, you increase the chance of failure. It is just one more thing that can go wrong.

How many cars on the road today that can use CCS and how many cars out there today that use the Tesla plug. ABB needs to think about that when building these charge stations.

There is an issue, in Manitoba, regarding charging for electricity. By law, only the provincially owned utility, Manitoba Hydro, may sell electricity. The growing number of level 2 stations are all free for use as PR or marketing for hotels, restaurants, businesses, etc.

To the best of my understanding, this is also true for BC. Only BC Hydro and authorized municipal utilities are permitted to sell power, unless contracted to sell power to BCH (as for IPPs or domestic installs with net metering).

That's why no charging station in BC has a per kwh charge. They are either completely free to use or they require a user fee, ie. hourly parking rates.

I would make the fee 25 cents per minute in the parking space - whether you are charging or not - plugged in or not. That works out to $15 per hour.

If I need to charge to get to my destination, I want the charger to be available for me - not clogged by someone topping up who doesn't need it.
I am totally happy to pay $30 for 2 hours of charging to be able to get to my destination.

Agree, though when thinking about making infrastructure most efficient, ideally multiple independent stations should be at each location.

Capacity of Superchargers Using an Erlang-B Model

Even though less than ideal, this could mean installing DCQC stations next to existing SCH L2 stations. Then if you find the DCQC station busy, at least you can pick up some L2 at near half speed while you wait to move over.

Not ready yet

I have contacted SCH to purchase a few Level 3 chargers for the Toronto area and cottage country but they are not ready to ship yet. Right now there is only one super charger in Toronto at a Mitsubishi dealership near the near the airport. The only popular cars that can use the SCH Level 3 station without an adapter is the Leaf for CHADemO and BMW with the SAE Combo. The Tesla CHADemO adapter would have to be a loaner from a nearby restaurant or parking attendant. Think back 15 years when washrooms were on the outside of gas stations and you had to get a key attached to a long stick to use it. Not very useful.

Right now there is only one super charger in Toronto at a Mitsubishi dealership near the near the airport.

Another CHAdeMO station was recently installed in Ontario. Unfortunately, it's at Nissan HQ, very close to the Mitsubishi one! It's technically not correct to call these ~40kW units "Super Chargers." SC is usually reserved for Tesla's 90-135kW stations. However, I share your enthusiasm for having something faster than L2.

The only popular cars that can use the SCH Level 3 station without an adapter is the Leaf for CHADemO and BMW with the SAE Combo.

There will probably be more CHAdeMO capable i-MiEVs than i3s with SAE port for a long time in Canada.

I would also prefer not to have to use the ungainly CHAdeMO adapter (or give Tesla yet another thousand dollars) but I don't see Tesla allowing third party Superchargers until phase 1 of their own network is complete circa 2015. It would complicate their "free for life" mantra for the SC network.