Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing a level 3 charger at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No.

Technically the electrical service could support maybe a 25-50kW DC charger if you keep your whole house to 200amps. But the cost to install something like that would be in the tens of thousands of dollars. But at those charging speeds it would still take the order of hours to charge a car from empty to full.

Even if you could, it’s completely not necessary at home as you would more than be able to recharge what you use in a day with L2 overnight. It only takes my car an hour of charging at 40 amps to recharge what I used the previous day.

I want to install a Level 3 charger in my home.
No, you really really don't.
Is this technically possible?
Sure, anything is technically possible. You could bulldoze your house and install charging stations if you had several million dollars.
How many amps would it use?
Well, that's like asking, how big is a state? Delaware and Alaska are both states, but they're not the same size. There can be 20 kW charging stations or 300 kW stations, so it depends on however much power you have available, and you get one of that size.

@E90alex gave an example of using 200A of your house's 400A available, which would be 48 kW. So conveniently, let's say a 50 kW station, which is a commonly found station on the market. I tried Googling for some, but almost all of them won't list a price on the website, but say to contact them for a quote, because these are industrial construction projects, which usually involve trenching through parking lots and do cost tens of thousands of dollars.

But here, I did find one that lists the price:

It's $32,000 just for the equipment, without installation. So ballpark, you would be paying about 20 times as much for only a 4X increase in charging speed over a regular Tesla wall connector. No, you really don't want to do this.

I suspect the OP meant L2 charger, such as a Tesla Wall Connector. A Wall Connector, or other EV home charger can most likely be installed at his house. He will need an electricial to evaluate the load on his current service and if it is not too high, and there is space in the breaker panel, he should be able to install an L2 charger.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Hi folks newbie here, tried to search the forum but couldn't find an answer to this question.

I have a 400A 220v single phase meter feeding my house. I want to install a Level 3 charger in my home. Is this technically possible? How many amps would it use?
Seems like a very expensive charger to install when one step down is $450. Beyond that, please put it outside so we can all stop for free charge.

How did you get a 400A feed anyway?

IMG_1881.jpeg

I suspect the OP meant L2 charger, such as a Tesla Wall Connector.
I really suspect not. Those threads are too easy to find by the dozens. Someone wouldn't create a new thread specifically stating level 3 and wouldn't be asking the straight up question of if it's even possible. A few times a year we get another new thread of someone who thinks they can realistically install a Supercharger or other level 3 station at their actual house.

Reactions: dhanson865
His profile says he is in Atlanta but he didn't provide a state or zip or any specifics. Assuming that is Atlanta Georgia in the United States he most definitely doesn't have 400a 220v. He has 400a 240v.

Still twice the amps of the main panel at my house. I'm charging on 32A out of 200A so if I toss another 200 on it for charging I could do 60KW and still have enough left over to run my house. So lets run the though experiment a second.

EVBox Troniq Modular is sold in 30KW increments but starts at 90KW and up. So that's out.

EVDC-60NA | 60kW DC Fast Charger, Simultaneous Charging - EVESCO has a 60KW version so that'd work. But it requires 3 phase input, OP has single phase as do I so that wouldn't work.

Bosch EL-52240 Power DC Plus 25kW Fast Charging Station is single phase 240v but it's only 25KW (for the how many amps question that is about 104A on a 130A breaker?).

I'm going to bet you aren't going to find a higher wattage unit like you want that doesn't need 480v 3 phase service to feed it.

So OP if you really want a L3 charger at your house your first call needs to be to your electric provider to see how much they would charge you to bring 480v 3 phase lines to your house. You'll end up with a new meter and panel for that service. Then you could look at 3 phase chargers that are crazy expensive in the KW range that your new service allows.

Last edited:
I'm going to bet you aren't going to find a higher wattage unit like you want that doesn't need 480v 3 phase service to feed it.
Are you sure you cannot connect the same single phase to all the 3 inputs? Normally 3 phase is used so that you need less amperes but if you already have "unlimited" amperes wire. Still it will be only 240V x 3 (phase-against-ground) and not 400V x 3 (phase-against-phase). BTW I expect your 480V was a typo.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl
Are you sure you cannot connect the same single phase to all the 3 inputs? Normally 3 phase is used so that you need less amperes but if you already have "unlimited" amperes wire. Still it will be only 240V x 3 (phase-against-ground) and not 400V x 3 (phase-against-phase). BTW I expect your 480V was a typo.
That’s not how any of that works

• Helpful
If OP really wanted to do this, you could get a BoostCharger from freewire as it uses battery storage to allow a lower power input; it can also take split phase power as well.

OK, so USA is really different from Europe. USA has separate distribution+voltage for 3-phase (3x480V) vs. 1-phase/"2-phase" (wired as either 2x120V or 1x240V) distribution. While in Europe the same distribution/voltage can be wired as 3-phase (3x400V) or 1-phase (1x230V). IIUC USA does not use in any way the 3x277V from 3-phase distribution.
Businesses / Industry use the 277V as well

In fact, most people don't even need a level 2, though it does offer a bit of convenience. Those with longer commutes may benefit, but frankly a level 1.5 charger (3kw, for example 240v @ 15a) is good enough for probably 95% of drivers. So people are skeptical of anybody wanting a level 3. Even the smallest level 3 such as a 20kW. (There is a 7kW level 3 charger, no faster than AC charging, mainly meant for people who dream of V2G and bidirectional charging, not possible on current Teslas.)

The negative reaction comes because usually desire for a level 3 charger indicates gasoline thinking, that you are "doing it wrong." There is a very tiny subset of people who might need level 3, and if you are in that tiny subset, it is recommended you explain why you are so very unusual and then you will get people trying to help rather than point out that you probably are mistaken in wanting it.

The small subset might be people who have multiple vehicles that use more than 60kWh per day in them, who live in a remote area and somehow drive their cars more than 200 miles per day while staying in that remote area. Perhaps somebody running a large farm with large electric farm machines that use up 60kWH halfway through the day and need a charge. Or somebody with a giant solar farm as well and no grid power, so they need to charge only when it's sunny and do it fast, since they can't really charge at night without having huge batteries. These are the sort of things that might need a level 3 charger. For almost everybody, if you are driving so far in the morning that you need a fast charge later in the day so you can drive super far in the evening, you will be passing by many existing fast chargers, and it's simpler to use those rather than build your own, even at their higher price, for most people.

You can get a 25kW DC charger for a tolerable amount of money, and 400a service can power it. But it is best if you explain why you calculate that you need that. One reason might be that you are very forgetful, and sometimes you forget to plug in at night, and so you wake up to a low car and have to leave. That's a time where having 25kW at home would be handy. But better to just make a little program that pings you if you haven't plugged in your car by 10pm -- in fact it would be nice if the Tesla app did that for you already.

• Funny
Reactions: Acps110 and Rocky_H