Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggested Tesla Supercharger locations in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess that depends on how you see the 60kWh battery pack? Personally I wouldn't consider it a road trip car, well at least not on any sort of regular basis. Of course if Tesla is going to put superchargers every 100 miles or so I wonder why amy of us bothered to buy the 85kWh version....:wink:
Elon has recently spoken on the subject and he feels that the 40 kWh battery pack should not be considered a road trip car. It seems that the 60 kWh battery pack was always considered for the Supercharging network, it was just the pricing of the access to the network that was up in the air for a while.

Tesla is still pretty California-centric but I wonder how many superchargers FL would really need/get if they're to be every ~100miles?

I would be happy if the Florida Supercharger intervals were between 125-150 miles.

BTW Larry, I'm also becoming increasingly certain that with our flat terrain I could get 400 miles out of a charge if we could find the right route.
Yes, no doubt if you could travel slow enough without getting rear-ended by the faster traffic. :wink:

Larry

Last edited:
My only regular long distance trip is from Boca Raton to my mother-in-law's in The Villages. Fort Drum Service Plaza on the TP would be ideal, but it is probably too far to be the only supercharge between Miami and Orlando. Somewhere near the Fort Pierce TP/I-95 intersection would be a better location for Miami/Orlando. Somewhere near the TP/I-4 intersection would probably be good too.

Or I could just do the whole 220 mile journey on one charge at 60mph - NOT!

My only regular long distance trip is from Boca Raton to my mother-in-law's in The Villages. Fort Drum Service Plaza on the TP would be ideal, but it is probably too far to be the only supercharge between Miami and Orlando. Somewhere near the Fort Pierce TP/I-95 intersection would be a better location for Miami/Orlando. Somewhere near the TP/I-4 intersection would probably be good too.

Or I could just do the whole 220 mile journey on one charge at 60mph - NOT!

Hi Nick,

Did you have any specific suggestions regarding a potential host locations that would have the necessary amenities?

I noticed a Cracker Barrel Restaurant at Rt-70 between I-95 and the Turnpike and an RV resort in that vicinity.

There's a Fuddruckers located near the intersection of the Tunpike and I-4.

Larry

Hi Nick,

Did you have any specific suggestions regarding a potential host locations that would have the necessary amenities?

I noticed a Cracker Barrel Restaurant at Rt-70 between I-95 and the Turnpike and an RV resort in that vicinity.

There's a Fuddruckers located near the intersection of the Tunpike and I-4.

Larry

The best place for the Supercharger in Orlando would probably be the Mall at Milennia. It's right off the intersection of I-4 and the turnpike.

The best place for the Supercharger in Orlando would probably be the Mall at Milennia. It's right off the intersection of I-4 and the turnpike.

The Mall at Milennia might be an excellent location, especially since a Tesla store is eventually planned for that location.

However, it may be unnecessary to have a Supercharger located in Orlando because there are some at hotels there where one can obtain a full charge overnight.

In other words Orlando is a major destination. The initial allocation of Superchargers probably should be located between major destinations rather than at them.

Larry

I spent yesterday morning at the Dania Beach store/service center getting my new 21 inch wheels and asked about new supercharger stations.The only feedback I got was that Orlando was a certainty for a supercharger station.No guess as to time frame.

It would be best to start off placing Superchargers in Florida off of major highways BETWEEN major destinations

Vero Beach off of I-95 would make sense.

Miromar off of I-75 would also make sense.

Orlando is a destination with a lot of existing Level 2 chargers, with some of them at hotels. So people doing roadtrips could do overnight charging. A Supercharger at Orlando might happen eventually, but it would be better to start off placing them between major destinations rather than at destinations with chargers.

Larry

Last edited:
I think I 95 around Melbourne make sense. From there Miami and Jacksonville are within reach of the 60kWh and 85kWh traveling up the east coast and also from Orlando.
If in the future you need to travel all the way up I-95 to SC, NC, VA, DC or NY, you'll need to charge somewhere in NE Florida-either before or after Jacksonville. The I-10 corridor between Jacksonville and Tallahassee could also use some attention. Something close the the I-75/I-10 junction would be useful for west coast folk going up to Atlanta or west to Tallahassee/Pensacola.

If in the future you need to travel all the way up I-95 to SC, NC, VA, DC or NY, you'll need to charge somewhere in NE Florida-either before or after Jacksonville. The I-10 corridor between Jacksonville and Tallahassee could also use some attention. Something close the the I-75/I-10 junction would be useful for west coast folk going up to Atlanta or west to Tallahassee/Pensacola.
I75/I10 interchange will most definitely need a supercharger location. It is a logical place for one.

OK, long post alert!! But bear with me, OK? Here's some very concrete thinking on the possible locations for Florida Superchargers. If someone can show me how to make a Google map (or use whatever other tool) to show all these points and the various distances between them, I'd be most grateful.

I'm trying to keep the spacing to about 100 miles between Superchargers in the belief that (a) this would be ideal for people traveling in 60's, and (b) it would allow Tesla to start placing a few Superchargers at 200-mile intervals (e.g. SC-2, SC-4, SC-6, and SC-8) so that at least 85's can travel more easily, then go back for a second round of installations to fill in the 100-mile intervals it missed on the first pass. Where I see alternatives, I've noted them together in one paragraph because they're meant to become only one installation.

This is about as far as I can reasonably go, but it seems to me that with these 9 locations you can comfortably cover a large chunk of Florida.

Notes:

* Where cities are mentioned, distances are measured to whatever Google considers the city point (eg. enter "Orlando, FL" into Google Maps).
* All distances are in miles.
* My locations are chosen simply to represent specific points, though some (like the malls) are likely to be good candidates. I suggest we zero in on locations within a 5-mile radius of my selections.

East Coast

SC-1.
Right where the Turnpike starts (Mile Marker 0), near the "Florida Keys Outlet Center". Roughly 125 from Key West. Low priority as it probably doesn't have that much traffic.

SC-2. Near the intersection of the Turnpike and I-595, or in Sawgrass Mills Mall. Seeks to serve both north-south traffic and traffic traversing Alligator Alley, but is biased towards east-west traffic since SC-1 and SC-3 can be driven in one leg by 85's (north-south 60's would incur a slight detour to use this location). Roughly 60 from SC-1, 105 from SC-3, 110 from SC-6, 210 from SC-9 in Orlando.

SC-3. Seeking quick access from both the Turnpike and I-95, something near the Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Pierce (1985 Reynolds Drive, Fort Pierce, FL 34945). Roughly 105 from SC-2, 75 from SC-4, 120 from Miami, 110 from SC-9 in Orlando, and 80-100 from Cocoa Beach, Kennedy Space Center, and so on.

SC-4. On I-95 near other roads like SR-528 and SR-192, something near Days Inn Cocoa Cruiseport West Hotel (5600 Florida 524, Cocoa, FL 32926). Roughly 75 from SC-3, 90 from SC-5, 195 from Miami, 45 from Orlando, 60 from east end of I-4.

SC-5. On I-95, in or near Palm Harbor Shopping Center (Palm Coast, FL). Roughly 90 from SC-4, 80 from Orlando, 80 from Gainesville, 65 from Jacksonville, 165 from Tampa.

West Coast

SC-6. Something near Miromar Outlets (Corkscrew Road, Estero, FL), just outside Naples headed north. Roughly 110 from SC-2, 110 from SC-7, 145 from Tampa, 205 from SC-9 in Orlando.

SC-7. Seeking convenience for people going to/from both St. Petersburg and Tampa, something near Ellenton Premium Outlets (5461 Factory Shops Boulevard, Ellenton, FL 34222). Roughly 40 from Tampa, 50 from Clearwater Beach, 110 from SC-6, 105 from SC-8.

SC-8. Something near the intersection of I-75, the Turnpike, and US-44. Roughly 105 from SC-7, 53 from SC-9 in Orlando.

Central

SC-9. Seeking quick access from both I-4 and the Turnpike, something near the Festival Bay Mall (International Drive, 5250 International Drive, Orlando, FL 32819). Roughly 53 from SC-8, 105 from SC-7, 110 from SC-3, 45 from SC-4, 80 from SC-5.

Comments?