Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck charge cord

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge with a J1772 and the adapter. I've noticed that when I disconnect the J1772, the locking mechanism holding the adapter in the charge port unlocks. Unless I pull out the adapter within a few seconds, the lock engages again and the adapter is stuck. Unlocking the doors doesn't release; I have to access the touchscreen to "open the charging port", which once again unlocks the adapter.

The most worrisome thing is that simply disconnecting the J1772 causes the car to unlock the charging port (and adapter), even when you walk up to a locked car without the key fob. Be careful at public charging stations--I'm sure the J1772 adapter isn't cheap.

There's a new version of the J1772 adapter that's not has hard to remove. Ask your service manager about it.

Ben,

When you took your charging video was that before the software upgrade to version 4.0?

In your video the J1772 adapter couldn't be removed by without unlocking the car. According to tezco that is no longer the case.

Thanks.

Larry

FWIW, at least for my car, I don't think any amount of silicone lube would make a difference. The issue with removing the plug, as far as I can tell, has nothing to do with the charger sticking in the plug slot, but rather the timing of the locking pin. I'm still not certain of how to always time the removal of the plug, there's a series of clicking sounds and I think after the second click, but before the 3rd (that follows about 1/2 second after the second click) is when you're supposed to pull. I seem to get it right about 80% of the time.

4.0 behavior seems unchanged, but I haven't tried to pull out the plug after interrupting the charge via the EVSE or J1772 cable. When I returned to my car this evening after charging with Mitch's EVSE, I had to unlock the charge port from the screen before I could remove it (it had finished charging some time earlier).

4.0 behavior seems unchanged, but I haven't tried to pull out the plug after interrupting the charge via the EVSE or J1772 cable. When I returned to my car this evening after charging with Mitch's EVSE, I had to unlock the charge port from the screen before I could remove it (it had finished charging some time earlier).

My charge port unlocks when I unhook the J1772, regardless of whether the charging is finished or not.

Model S stranded due to problems removing a public charger from the charge port

This hasn't happened to me, but I remember reading about a Model S who was stranded and had to get towed due to the inability to remove a public charger from the charge port. I'm not sure of the details, but I think it might have been the adaptor that was stuck in the charge point which rendered the car unmovable.

Can anyone shed a little more light into this problem and how to prevent it from happening? I am interested in using some Blink chargers on road trips and wanted to prevent any bad hiccups from occurring. I can't seem to find the thread using advanced search.

Thank you.

This hasn't happened to me, but I remember reading about a Model S who was stranded and had to get towed due to the inability to remove a public charger from the charge port. I'm not sure of the details, but I think it might have been the adaptor that was stuck in the charge point which rendered the car unmovable.

Can anyone shed a little more light into this problem and how to prevent it from happening? I am interested in using some Blink chargers on road trips and wanted to prevent any bad hiccups from occurring. I can't seem to find the thread using advanced search.

Thank you.

Probably what you're looking for.

Not sure how to Point to a post. But this happened to me 2 days ago:
"Last night My S decided it liked my J1772 adaptor and refused to release it. It then shut down all the screens. Called Tesla they had me remove the fuse and try a reboot. Booted up but then shut down after 30 sec with a service is needed warning. After 15 min it would wake up and shut down again in the same 30 sec when I approached with the key. Service showed up this morning said it is a known problem and removed the back of the charge port and got it to release the adapter. If the small multi pin connector is removed from the bottom of the assembly the car will restart (after a 10min time out) and drive. It however will not charge till the port is replaced and is re linked (coded) with new software. So replace on Monday if in stock and re-code or on Wednesday (closed on New Years Day) if parts not local. I miss the car already! Guess i'ts time to pay attention to the roadster"
The same thing would have happened at a public charger spot.

Not sure how to Point to a post. But this happened to me 2 days ago:
"Last night My S decided it liked my J1772 adaptor and refused to release it. It then shut down all the screens. Called Tesla they had me remove the fuse and try a reboot. Booted up but then shut down after 30 sec with a service is needed warning. After 15 min it would wake up and shut down again in the same 30 sec when I approached with the key. Service showed up this morning said it is a known problem and removed the back of the charge port and got it to release the adapter. If the small multi pin connector is removed from the bottom of the assembly the car will restart (after a 10min time out) and drive. It however will not charge till the port is replaced and is re linked (coded) with new software. So replace on Monday if in stock and re-code or on Wednesday (closed on New Years Day) if parts not local. I miss the car already! Guess i'ts time to pay attention to the roadster"
The same thing would have happened at a public charger spot.

Obviously this car has more problems that just a bad release mechanism on the charging port.

It seems like the worst that could happen with a stuck charge port release mechanism is that you would just have to drive off with the adapter stuck in the port. The charging station cable does not lock to the adapter. The car will drive with the J1772 adapter in the port.

Obviously this car has more problems that just a bad release mechanism on the charging port.

It seems like the worst that could happen with a stuck charge port release mechanism is that you would just have to drive off with the adapter stuck in the port. The charging station cable does not lock to the adapter. The car will drive with the J1772 adapter in the port.

I suspect that the car doesn't know whether there's a J1772 adapter locked in the port or a Tesla charging cable, either a Mobile Connector cable, a High Power Wall Connector cable or a Supercharger cable. In such a case the Model S shouldn't permit driving as long as the charging port is locked and therefore there's not necessarily another problem.

Larry

The sequence that my DS recommended is:
  1. From the center console Charging screen, touch the Stop Charging button.
  2. From the center console Controls screen, touch the Charge Port button in the unlock section.
  3. Pull the charging cable (still connected to the adapter) out of the car's charge port.
  4. Remove your adapter from the J1772 cable.
  5. Close the charge port door.
  6. Hang up the J1772 cable on the charger.
  7. Double-check that you've got your adapter!

1) Thank you to all for pointing me in the right direction.
2) However, the post I think I remember reading was a Model S that was stuck in the wild, not at home and not on Jalopnik.com (I do not read this site).
3) Thank you Robert.Boston for explaining this sequence. No DS in TX means I'm winging it as I go so every tidbit of info on this board helps. :)
4) The original post whether on Jalopnik or here at TMC is somewhat irrelevant now. I will just be following the sequence that the DS told Robert.Boston and hopefully won't have any stuck adaptor issues.

The car has been fixed! The charge port adapter was faulty. The release mechanism was internally stuck and a signal is sent to the computer telling the car to shut down. The quick roadside fix is to remove the small connector from the lower part of the charge port. The problem is the inner liner of the car has to be removed to access it.

2) However, the post I think I remember reading was a Model S that was stuck in the wild, not at home and not on Jalopnik.com (I do not read this site).

The case I know of was a reporter who was charging with the UMC. The locking pin was preventing him from plugging the UMC into the car, so he forced the pin down and got the connector in. But it didn't come back out, and the car would not drive.

For a brief moment I thought I had a stuck cord today. Until I realized the car was locked. Walk away locking was on, and when I came back to the car to unplug I didn't get close enough to the front of the car for the automatic unlocking (v4.1). Pressed the button on the plug, no click...stuck.

After a second, it hit me. I walked a step or two toward the driver's door, the car unlocked and handles came out, and I unplugged without issue.

So for me, no issues. The plug in/unplug process feels intuitive and shouldn't require much thought. Press the button, wait for the click, then slide out the plug while continuing to hold down the button.

I wonder if the reporter forgot about the locked car, pulled really hard, and jammed/bent the mechanism, as others have suggested. Seems like a likely possibility.