Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn signal is permanently stuck on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello :)

A new weird problem has started with my 2018 model S. Right right-hand headlight's turn signal is permanently stuck in glow. It's on all the time even if the car is locked or asleep.
There is excessive moisture inside the unit so my guess is something is horted.

The question is; is there some way to disable that light strip, even if it is destructive? It's quite powerful and lights up the whole parking lot at night.
The temporary solution is to disconnect the whole lamp while waiting for a replacement. Would the car be able to keep up charge on the 12v if it happened to be let on for days at a time?

Solution
1) Try a reboot (hold both scroll wheels in until the main display goes black). It will resume in 60 seconds or so. That often fixes oddities.
2) In this case, I doubt the reboot will fix it. To me, it sounds like a shorted LED driver (in the headlight assembly).
3) No problem letting it run as-is. The 12v battery is automatically charged as needed from the HV battery. It may need to do this a little more often than normally, but the turn signal LED is not a big power consumer. Likely it is in the 4-8W range.
1) Try a reboot (hold both scroll wheels in until the main display goes black). It will resume in 60 seconds or so. That often fixes oddities.
2) In this case, I doubt the reboot will fix it. To me, it sounds like a shorted LED driver (in the headlight assembly).
3) No problem letting it run as-is. The 12v battery is automatically charged as needed from the HV battery. It may need to do this a little more often than normally, but the turn signal LED is not a big power consumer. Likely it is in the 4-8W range.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. Already did the reboot(s) without luck. Unfortunately, the whole lamp died today so I guess it's beyond repair and the issue is closed.

Might as well mention that this is the 3rd time I have had to replace one of these in the last 2 years, and Tesla just quoted me $1850. Oh well...

Upvote 0