Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sr+ w/FSD vs Lr- FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
first post here. Looking to buy a model 3 and from the last time I checked the site things have changed...again. Anyway. Besides the rear wheel vs all wheel difference (my current car is a rear wheel g80) what is the pro/con of the standard range plus with the fsd vs the long range without it.

What is now in autopilot vs fsd? And in fsd, what’s actually available now vs maybe in the future.

Aka, worth spending 5k on fsd.

To provide any meaningful advice we would need to know more about what your needs are. How much do you drive per year? How much is highway vs city driving? How often do you go on long distance trips? Do you have 240 volt home charging available or will you be relying on Superchargers?

My commute to to work (NJ) is about 50 highway miles round trip. My job has probably close to 50 charging stations. I will Be installing a home charger as well.

I drove my current car almost exactly 12k a year but would have driven more if it wasn’t a lease. On weekend we drive my wife’s oddesy but again mostly to conserve miles on my lease. I would be buying the model 3. Living in the north east, everything Ian pretty close. Longest unplanned drive would be to nyc and is around 120-150 miles of driving. Vacation type driving would probably be in the minivan since my wife likes to bring everything possible unfortunately.

I’d love the p3 but extra cash doesn’t seem worth it unless they are discounted at times. Then maybe I would consider it.

I was planning on buying a golf R but the VW dealers/company are terrible to work with and its be a nearly 50k for one with a 6 month wait. VW is crazy.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
My commute to to work (NJ) is about 50 highway miles round trip. My job has probably close to 50 charging stations. I will Be installing a home charger as well.

I drove my current car almost exactly 12k a year but would have driven more if it wasn’t a lease. On weekend we drive my wife’s oddesy but again mostly to conserve miles on my lease. I would be buying the model 3. Living in the north east, everything Ian pretty close. Longest unplanned drive would be to nyc and is around 120-150 miles of driving. Vacation type driving would probably be in the minivan since my wife likes to bring everything possible unfortunately.

I’d love the p3 but extra cash doesn’t seem worth it unless they are discounted at times. Then maybe I would consider it.

I was planning on buying a golf R but the VW dealers/company are terrible to work with and its be a nearly 50k for one with a 6 month wait. VW is crazy.

Get the LR. Since your in cold weather it will take a hit on the range. Once you get the Tesla you will drive it more because it is fun. You could make your NY trip without needing to charge roundtrip. You may even be surprised by the storage space with the front, trunk, and the bin in the bottom of the trunk. Tip to make it a easier purchase is wait till end of quarter for inventory discounted models.

In not ideal conditions I can get as little as 55% efficiency and the car will hammer through 10-15 miles sitting in a parking lot for a day.
I wouldn’t recommend anybody get anything but a LR version unless their wallet absolutely demanded it.
I am also on pace to drive 45k miles in the first year so take my advice for what it is. I do drive far more though. I have made at least 10 trips I would have previously flown if I didn’t have this car. You will drive more!

SR would be fine for you range-wise, but LR-AWD gives you a noticeably quicker car than the quickest Golf R (vs the SR being slower except maybe vs the sluggish Manual version)

Maybe 0-60mph. But I'd like to see any Golf out-accelerate an SR+ Model 3 from 20-60mph.

That would depend entirely on how the race was done.... If the Golf started in the correct gear to avoid a downshift there's no reason to think it wouldn't beat the SR.... (the Golf R offers a DSG transmission with a manual mode)

The only reason Teslas spank 99% of cars in passing speeds is that car magazine passing tests assume the ICE car starts in its highest gear and has to waste time down-shifting when it is floored....

And most ICE cars in automatic mode move to highest gear possible as soon as possible for economy reasons, so that type of test makes sense... but might not produce results applicable if the guy has direct gear control and knows he's about to race from speed X.