Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Splitting Power Source

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

soulsea

Red Helmet
Supporting Member
Oct 9, 2023
Hi,

Apologies for what is probably a noob electrical question.

I charge my MSP via a Tesla mobile connector plugged into a 14-50 outlet in my garage.
I ordered a PHEV (296 GTS) that will also require to be plugged in.

Can I use a splitter to charge both cars or would I need to have a second outlet installed?
I'm guessing if I split the output it will take longer to charge both cars, bit I don't know how all that works.

How do the folks who own more than one Tesla deal with this?

Thanks.

Hi,

Apologies for what is probably a noob electrical question.

I charge my MSP via a Tesla mobile connector plugged into a 14-50 outlet in my garage.
I ordered a PHEV (296 GTS) that will also require to be plugged in.

Can I use a splitter to charge both cars or would I need to have a second outlet installed?
I'm guessing if I split the output it will take longer to charge both cars, bit I don't know how all that works.

How do the folks who own more than one Tesla deal with this?

Thanks.
Nice looking car!

I am guessing the 296 comes with a 120V charging cable and small EVSE? Ask your dealer if it comes with a charge cord. If so, just plug it into a wall receptacle, and it should charge in about 8-9 hours or so (Battery is small, so doesn’t need the 240V receptacle).

But no, there is no way to “split” a 240V receptacle.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and soulsea
Nice looking car!

I am guessing the 296 comes with a 120V charging cable and small EVSE? Ask your dealer if it comes with a charge cord. If so, just plug it into a wall receptacle, and it should charge in about 8-9 hours or so (Battery is small, so doesn’t need the 240V receptacle).

Thank you.

Out of curiosity how do folks deal with charging multiple electric cars in their garage?
I barely had enough amperage available for one 220v high amp outlet.

Again out of curiosity, what would the consequences of nothing like this be to either car or to my electrical panel?

61BfZ-C+0vL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Again out of curiosity, what would the consequences of nothing like this be to either car or to my electrical panel?
Best case, you trip the breaker if you try charging both cars at the same time because you’re drawing more current than the circuit can provide.

Worst case you melt something or cause a fire.

If you want to charge two cars at the same time, you need two circuits.

You can add additional Tesla wall chargers and split the power from one source. The instructions at Tesla.com show how. I sure wouldn't split a "plugged in" wall connector though.

Thank you.

Can this be done with a mobile connector as the lead connection?

My understanding is that there's no functional difference between a hard wired wall connector and a mobile connector plugged into a 14-50 outlet ... at least as far as power output and charging times are concerned. But I don't know if it makes a difference in a Tesla configured power sharing situation.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Can this be done with a mobile connector as the lead connection?

My understanding is that there's no functional difference between a hard wired wall connector and a mobile connector plugged into a 14-50 outlet ... at least as far as power output and charging times are concerned. But I don't know if it makes a difference in a Tesla configured power sharing situation.

No, the Mobile Connector doesn't have the smarts to be able to load share.

Here's more info on load sharing: Advice for EV Charging in North America

But since the 296 GTS has such a small battery, charging it over night on 120V will work just fine.

It really depends on your driving habits, but we have three EVs and a single Tesla WC (version 2). We don’t drive that much (50-75mi each car per day) so each car gets an overnight charge every third day.
The 296 GTS has 15 miles of EV range. 120V of overnight charging will charge it up just fine. In fact, it isn’t clear that it can even be charged faster than that.

Reactions: brkaus and soulsea
I have had good luck with the NeoCharge Smart Splitter on my 14-50 outlet. Here is a refer link for $40 off. Get home EV charging setup without needing an electrician with NeoCharge's Smart Splitter!
Hi - I've been looking at this NeoCharge splitter but cannot for the life of me figure out whether the smart scheduling thing works or not. I have a MYLR but my wife has a Volvo recharge - and for whatever reason, the Volvo is advertised as being able to schedule charging but in reality there's no way to do it. The NeoCharge website says it's in "early access" phase whatever that means, I get emails from them saying it is schedule-able, Amazon reviews seem to indicate that it is also, and their customer service is pretty evasive about it (probably a bad sign). Have you been able to schedule the NeoCharge to take advantage of time of use rates?