Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed ticket in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except that the law in Germany says that you HAVE to move to the right to let faster traffic pass. No passing on the right. So yes, you'll get pulled over, but not for going slow, but for violating the law. Just like your wife got pulled over for violating the law this time.
BTW: more and more states in the US are also forcing your to move to the right when going slow.
You people give Tesla drivers a bad name.
Yes, but they don't enforce it here or ticket for it, ime.

I passed a cop in TX who was going slowly in the right lane and was pulled over by him shortly thereafter. Learned never to pass a cop on that one.

Again, got a warning. Apparently, I pulled over too soon back into the right lane after I passed him., even though as I'd been taught, I waited until I saw his car in my rearview mirror. To which, I told him, "I thought you weren't allowed to drive in the left lane, just pass, so I got back over."

He said there was no law to that effect. Apparently, he also didn't notice the many signs on that highway that said to drive in right lane unless passing. In Australia it is very strict. Here, not so much.

I agree 74 in a 65 in Fremont is a bit excessive. One of the reasons I put on both plates and carefully set the decals was not to give them any excuse to pull me over. My car is also red. I didn't think the red car made a difference in the bay area, it used to in the UK where my father and his traffic police friends played snooker with cars. Since the traffic division were bored, they would pull a red car then black until all reds are gone, then yellow, green , brown, blue, black . Hence red cars were pulled for speeding a lot more than other colours.

I usually fly by the Tesla factory at 80 so I'll keep a watch out

Probably not unusual, but the comment from the officer was "The problem with you Tesla people is you need to put on the front license plates, quit tinting the windows, and show all your HOV stickers." Interesting attitude from a local cop where the Tesla tax is probably substantial due to the factory. "You Tesla People"

74 in a 65 zone with all the other traffic doing the same.

please help me understand your complaints, you are upset because the cop is telling you about how some owners of Teslas are chronic violators of certain laws, you were moving at a rate of speed over the posted limit and you're complaining about his attitude? the value of the taxes that may or may not be collected from Tesla is most irrelevant. look at the cop as a hammer and Tesla drivers who stand out because of the issues he noted are nails, hammers have one purpose, to bang nails, don't be the nail.

if you don't want to interact with the police try getting into compliance with the laws and regulations.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, that's so dumb. There is no reason for a front plate and definitely no reason to show more than 1 carpool sticker.
there is one huge reason for the front plate, it's call the law. if you don't like the law do some work to get it changed, civil disobedience is fine as long as you are willing to pay the price for your disobedience.

You're mistaking reality for reason, kort677. I back apache, and repeat his unasked question: What is the reason for a front plate? By the way, it also is statute in Alaska....and there is not and never has been a single toll booth in any of our 570,000 square miles.

Fortunately, Alaskan police have more important infractions to pursue than this one; I never have heard of anyone being cited only for not mounting a front plate (there likely are situations where it gets piled on top of other violations).

(BTW, if you don't believe in keeping up with traffic, try the left lane on a German Autobahn and see how popular you become.)

That's the law in many US states too. Including California, slower traffic must keep right.

I passed a cop in TX who was going slowly in the right lane ...

He said there was no law to that effect. Apparently, he also didn't notice the many signs on that highway that said to drive in right lane unless passing. In Australia it is very strict. Here, not so much.

I guess it would depend on what type of road is it, but Texas sure does have a "keep right except to pass law". "Most rural interstates are posted "left lane for passing only" pursuant to 544.011"

Source: http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

You're mistaking reality for reason, kort677. I back apache, and repeat his unasked question: What is the reason for a front plate?

From my understanding, there's a variety of reasons. Toll/red light cameras are one (in my experience, toll cameras can take photos from both the front and back of a car, so having both just increases the likelihood that one will turn out clear). Another is so police can more easily identify oncoming traffic. If they're looking for someone in a silver Camry, it's a lot easier for them if they don't have to turn around to see the plate number of every one they drive by. Similarly, it would allow the new plate scanners to capture twice as many plates as it travels down the road than if everyone just had rear plates.

These next couple reasons are a bit more far-fetched, but I've hard them as well. First, having a front plate can possibly help identify hit and run suspects who rear-end someone (the thought being there's a chance that some portion of the license plate number will get imprinted on the rear-ended car). The other reason is that it gives police officers a specific place to aim their radar/laser speed guns.

With all that said, given how inconsistently the law is enforced, and that CA lets you drive without plates altogether for up to 90 days after a new car purchase, I don't really feel like this law should be on the books. If you're going to have it, enforce it, but if not, it ends up feeling like it's just there to generate revenue when cops/meter maids are bored or as an excuse to pull someone over.

By the way, it also is statute in Alaska....and there is not and never has been a single toll booth in any of our 570,000 square miles.

I guess you haven't been to Whittier? Every time I've been there, I've had to pay at the toll booth when going through the tunnel. Also don't forget about the toll roads (and booths) around Skagway during the gold rush. Sure, they weren't used by cars but Alaska has had (and continues to have) toll booths.

Last edited:
I am a retired trial court judge and previously an experienced trial attorney. There is simply no point in giving a police officer an excuse to pull you over. Burned-out lightbulbs, illegal tints and no front plate allow an officer to pull you over and under many circumstances convince you to search your vehicle. Traffic officers have told me many times that they realize nearly everyone is speeding. They look for cars that change lanes and for those with illegal tint and other equipment violations in deciding which speeder to pull over. It makes sense to simply Not put a target on your back. Stealth pays

- - - Updated - - -

And politeness always pays off

I don't have anything to contribute to the good / bad debate, but as a Brit I'm curious about the views over your side of the pond about front number plates.

Over here we have number plates front-and-back, and they are on the car when you take ownership - no temporary plates and no "getting them later"

To me it seems crucial in being able to detect a vehicle which is breaking the law. Although I'm, now, questioning if I'm just conditioned to it, or whether it is actually helpful. For a car speeding away from the scene of a crime I, presumably, am only likely to see the rear plate.

But our police cars have number plate recognition cameras, and my understanding is that they recognise the plates on all oncoming traffic (police vehicle travelling with flow of traffic, or following a car on single carriageway road, is not going to see many plates compared to the number of vehicles in oncoming traffic). If you don't have insurance / road tax, or the vehicle is stolen, then the police car is going to get an alert, from your front plate, and he'll U-turn and be after you with Blues and Twos on ...

Seems to me that obligatory front & back plates would be beneficial in fighting crime and I'm surprised a) that enforcement is somewhat lax in the USA and b) it is not mandatory in all states. Perhaps I'm missing something and I should be campaigning to have front plates dispensed with over here?

You're mistaking reality for reason, kort677. I back apache, and repeat his unasked question: What is the reason for a front plate? By the way, it also is statute in Alaska....and there is not and never has been a single toll booth in any of our 570,000 square miles.
a traffic stop on a roadway IS NOT the place to debate the law with a cop. if you don't like a law do some work to get it changed or you can continue to ignore it and suffer the consequences

That's the law in many US states too. Including California, slower traffic must keep right.

I think that is almost, if not completely universal throughout North America. Rarely enforced, however. It becomes a problem when you have freeway ramps on the left, which are rare, but not unheard of. I always try to stay in the right-most lane except when passing. It even bugs me when people cruise in one of the center lanes with cars whizzing past on both the left and the right.

Front Plates are required mostly for toll collection. Compliance in California is only about 80%. 16 states do not require a front plate.

Similar in Canada. For instance, Ontario requires them, but Quebec doesn't. I know from experience that it is a zero tolerance offense here in Ontario, but have heard you are less likely to get pulled over near the Quebec border because if they see a car without front plates, it could just be from out of province. Ontario's electronic toll collection system only needs a rear plate (or transponder) to work.

I am a retired trial court judge and previously an experienced trial attorney. There is simply no point in giving a police officer an excuse to pull you over. Burned-out lightbulbs, illegal tints and no front plate allow an officer to pull you over and under many circumstances convince you to search your vehicle. Traffic officers have told me many times that they realize nearly everyone is speeding. They look for cars that change lanes and for those with illegal tint and other equipment violations in deciding which speeder to pull over. It makes sense to simply Not put a target on your back. Stealth pays

- - - Updated - - -

And politeness always pays off
Agree 100%. After returning from Seattle (and getting used to driving way too fast and with too many people), I returned to our sedate little town and was pulled over in my Leaf for "failure to signal 100 ft before a lane change." As usual, I was not speeding, driving 35 mph in town and using cruise control. I politely told the officer that it had been several "years" (ok, maybe decades) since my drivers test and I didn't remember that requirement. I had used my signal as I always do, but only a couple of blips and then moved over when "clear" (the clear area is much much smaller in Seattle than here, so I'm pretty sure that I got used to the quicker lane changes). I received a warning, proceeded on my way, and then observed for the next 20 miles that 100% of the vehicles failed to follow this law, with about 50% not bothering to even signal. I was not upset, nor do I feel that the officer singling me out. I just think he observed something and pulled me over. Perhaps he was looking for a reason based on the red car, shady area of town, just wanted to have his flashers on to slow people down on this stretch of road, or something else, perhaps hoping for a bigger bust. It doesn't matter the reason, try not to stick out, otherwise be prepared to pay the price.

Unfortunately, Tesla has hyped "performance" and the public has an impression of "excess wealth" associated with these cars. I decided against the red Tesla, just for that very reason. I went with titanium because it blends better with other cars, and many people don't even recognize it. At our local hot rod car show last year, a significant number of people (20-40%) didn't recognize it, until I said "Tesla" and then everyone started drooling and saying "wow". It doesn't matter than over half the vehicles in this area have a higher full life cycle cost than my vehicle (e.g., large premium 10-20 mpg trucks and SUVs that pay $3-4/gal vs $0.06/KWh). Tesla hype seems to trump everything.

- - - Updated - - -

But our police cars have number plate recognition cameras, and my understanding is that they recognise the plates on all oncoming traffic (police vehicle travelling with flow of traffic, or following a car on single carriageway road, is not going to see many plates compared to the number of vehicles in oncoming traffic).
This is the BEST explanation that I've read. A moving police vehicle will encounter and see more front plates than rear plates. Thus, to increase the probability of identifying a particular vehicle, the front plate is required.

In Australia it is very strict. Here, not so much.

It is? The drivers I encountered in Australia were the nicest people on earth though. I pulled out of a gas station into an intersection, stopped at a stop light. Noticed there was a car stopped on the opposite side, in my lane. Started wondering when the light changed how we were both going to occupy the same lane at the same time. Then realized I was on the right side of the road, which is the wrong side down there. Nobody blew a horn! Nobody gave me the finger! In TX you'd get shot doing that. I promptly panicked big-time and pulled out and made a right turn, again in the WRONG LANE, and came straight into an oncoming car, who calmly pulled out of my way and let me back into the gas station parking lot where I stopped and had my heart attack. Not one person blew a horn or gave me a rude gesture. I'll always love Australia for that.

I think that is almost, if not completely universal throughout North America. Rarely enforced, however. It becomes a problem when you have freeway ramps on the left, which are rare, but not unheard of. I always try to stay in the right-most lane except when passing. It even bugs me when people cruise in one of the center lanes with cars whizzing past on both the left and the right.

It's fairly universal, but each state has it's own twist on it. Sometimes it's only on large highways. Sometimes it's only if there are other cars around, etc.

And I agree, it's not enforced, but it annoys the crap out of me.

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html said:
A few states permit use of the left lane only for passing or turning left. These have "yes" in the "keep right" column [7 states]. Some states require drivers to move right if they are blocking traffic in the left lane. These have "yield" in the "keep right" column [4 states]. Most states follow the Uniform Vehicle Code and require drivers to keep right if they are going slower than the normal speed of traffic (regardless of the speed limit; see below). These are listed as "slower" [28 states]. A few states either do not require vehicles to keep right ("no") [1 state], or permit vehicles moving at the speed limit to drive in the left lane regardless of traffic conditions ("< SL") [4 states].

I totally get it. But then, why only two plates. Having an extra on each side would help and while we are at it, make it also mandatory to have it on the roof so police helicopters can ID you as well. If they could, they would make it the law to have GPS tracking on all vehicles directly linked to the police so they can issue speeding tickets without having to go out in the field.

I also live in a state that requires front plates, but I don't have one and don't intend to have one. My tint is 30% all around, which while not that dark, is technically illegal in the front. Fortunately we don't have mandatory stickers here, but wouldn't be using them either, if they were.

One day, maybe a cop will give me a ticket. If they do, I won't be mad because I'm well aware that it's a risk I'm taking. So, I'll just pay the ticket and move on. In Ohio, highly doubt I'll get any anti-tesla comments, since you hardly ever see them here.

I totally get it. But then, why only two plates. Having an extra on each side would help and while we are at it, make it also mandatory to have it on the roof so police helicopters can ID you as well. If they could, they would make it the law to have GPS tracking on all vehicles directly linked to the police so they can issue speeding tickets without having to go out in the field.

Hahah. No offense :), but I totally flashed back to my then-teenaged son using similar arguments for alcohol (there is nothing magic about 21, we can vote but can't have a fermented drink? I could make my own, you know), weed (stupid that it's illegal because people are going to use it anyway and and and), cleaning his room (why should I do it every week when I could get the same result by just doing it every other week and who is to say your standards of cleanliness are the right standard, anyway?) and school when report cards came out (oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I decided to take Spanish off this semester) and and and.