Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will autopilot avoid police citations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a huge belief that having autopilot has saved me from getting potential speeding tickets for the past 4 years. It makes it much easier to be a safe / responsible driver because you take the human error / emotion out of the driving. Before the Tesla Model 3, I drove gas cars and it is so easy to get a speeding ticket if you don't check yourself. Also gas cars feel more enjoyable to drive at around 80 mph, which increase your chances of a speeding ticket even if you didn't intend to speed.

I went from OC / LA to Lake Tahoe with my friend and we took turns driving the Model 3. He is more of a fan of gas based race cars and has little interest in electric cars. He owns a 2014 Porsche Cayenne. He was driving alright most of the way, but the autopilot got disabled so he just went back to driving normally having no desire to pull over to turn it back on. We were cruising along the interstate in the middle of nowhere and suddenly there is a cop car that driving kind of slow for a 70 mph zone. I told him "that's a cop car" and he too also knew it was there. I felt I just saved his ass pointing out the obvious cop car, but instead he passes this cop car topping at 80 mph until the cop car turned the lights on to pull him over.

After being pulled over waiting like 5 minutes for the cop to check his license and my car's registration / insurance, he lets my friend off with a written warning. Telling him "why would you speed past a cop car at 80 mph".

He was in a situation where he was totally aware of the cop car but felt like passing a slow driving cop car at 80 mph was a best option then slowing down and staying behind the cop car. Because the cop isn't king of the road and we can drive on the road how we like.. He insisted this cop would have still pulled us over if he were to slow down and stay behind him because that would seem sketchy. And kept arguing that no cop can give a speeding ticket going 80 mph in a 70 mph zone because he will hire a ticket fighting lawyer and win and pay less money. I could have sold out my friend and told this cop that my friend likes playing Grand Turismo and the reason he passed you is because you were driving too slow and said no cop can give a speeding ticket doing 80 mph in a 70 mph zone.

When I drove after him, I put the car in autopilot and set the car to drive the legal speed limit posts on the screen. And I had cops car pass me by and I didn't get pulled over because the autopilot was doing all the work and going the set speed the entire time. The autopilot won't urge for a "Need for Speed" moment and can stay at the stated speed limit you set for it. I told my friend to use autopilot, but he had no interest to re-activate it after it got disabled because he only wants to drive as if he were playing Need for Speed. We both had cop cars driving next to us in both our drives but he is the one who got pulled over because he insists no cop can ever give you a ticket for doing 80 mph in a 70 mph zone. And he can easily win it if he pays a traffic ticket lawyer to fight it.

But I think autopilot is worth the extra cost because it can prevent speeding tickets. Help keep insurance low because you won't have to deal with cops pulling you over.

Last edited:
I have a huge belief that having autopilot has saved me from getting potential speeding tickets for the past 4 years. It makes it much easier to be a safe / responsible driver because you take the human error / emotion out of the driving. Before the Tesla Model 3, I drove gas cars and it is so easy to get a speeding ticket if you don't check yourself. Also gas cars feel more enjoyable to drive at around 80 mph, which increase your chances of a speeding ticket even if you didn't intend to speed.

I went from OC / LA to Lake Tahoe with my friend and we took turns driving the Model 3. He is more of a fan of gas based race cars and has little interest in electric cars. He owns a 2014 Porsche Cayenne. He was driving alright most of the way, but the autopilot got disabled so he just went back to driving normally having no desire to pull over to turn it back on. We were cruising along the interstate in the middle of nowhere and suddenly there is a cop car that driving kind of slow for a 70 mph zone. I told him "that's a cop car" and he too also knew it was there. I felt I just saved his ass pointing out the obvious cop car, but instead he passes this cop car topping at 80 mph until the cop car turned the lights on to pull him over.

After being pulled over waiting like 5 minutes for the cop to check his license and my car's registration / insurance, he lets my friend off with a written warning. Telling him "why would you speed past a cop car at 80 mph".

He was in a situation where he was totally aware of the cop car but felt like passing a slow driving cop car at 80 mph was a best option then slowing down and staying behind the cop car. Because the cop isn't king of the road and we can drive on the road how we like.. He insisted this cop would have still pulled us over if he were to slow down and stay behind him because that would seem sketchy. And kept arguing that no cop can give a speeding ticket going 80 mph in a 70 mph zone because he will hire a ticket fighting lawyer and win and pay less money. I could have sold out my friend and told this cop that my friend likes playing Grand Turismo and the reason he passed you is because you were driving too slow and said no cop can give a speeding ticket doing 80 mph in a 70 mph zone.

When I drove after him, I put the car in autopilot and set the car to drive the legal speed limit posts on the screen. And I had cops car pass me by and I didn't get pulled over because the autopilot was doing all the work and going the set speed the entire time. The autopilot won't urge for a "Need for Speed" moment and can stay at the stated speed limit you set for it. I told my friend to use autopilot, but he had no interest to re-activate it after it got disabled because he only wants to drive as if he were playing Need for Speed. We both had cop cars driving next to us in both our drives but he is the one who got pulled over because he insists no cop can ever give you a ticket for doing 80 mph in a 70 mph zone. And he can easily win it if he pays a traffic ticket lawyer to fight it.

But I think autopilot is worth the extra cost because it can prevent speeding tickets. Help keep insurance low because you won't have to deal with cops pulling you over.
Your 'friend' demonstrates a lack of sound judgement. You might consider using the speed limiter setting should you consider allowing him to drive your car again.

I just follow the speed limit, like I’ve done for 50 years…still seems to work perfectly 🤣No ticket yet😜
No tickets yet with the Tesla Model 3 since Dec 2018. Just been pulled over, every single time just a warning or let go. I think cops know Tesla drivers just need a warning while Dodge Hellcats get tickets.

I gotten speeding tickets when driving gas based cars and driving on empty interstate freeways in middle of nowhere. But with autopilot and the precise nature of EVs it's much easier to stay a speed limit. Autopilot on an empty freeway is the best scenario, and you set a speed that cops would approve of.

Because you have common sense, while others read a speed limit sign and don't seem to understand what "Speed Limit" means. lol
The signs just say “speed limit.” They don’t specify if it is a maximum or minimum (except for minimum speed on freeways). Most drivers seem to think it is a minimum.

I do find it ironic that Tesla FSD can compute quickly enough to be capable of driving the speed limit, unfortunately it seems the human drivers around me are not capable of doing so. :)

GSP

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: EVNow and Resist
Autonomous driving is the future. Humans prove daily that they’re just too emotional, impatient and irrational to be trusted to drive safely and within rules (rules that are admittedly already dumbed down to a ridiculous extent to capture 99.999% of situations).

That said, the Tesla autopilot (which I use regularly and often) has a lot to be desired. It’s getting better but slowly. On a recent business trip I had a “boring” Toyota Camry with Toyota’s version of “autopilot” (basically a button on the steering wheel that activates a center-of-lane-hold system and a radar / adaptive cruise control system). I was very pleasantly surprised. The car did not have a cool display showing context / what’s being detected around it like my Tesla does, but the system was much more functional, reliable and less prone to doing stupid things at random. It really gives me pause before making claims like “Tesla is the best”. I do love my Tesla and have no plans to ever get rid of it, but it’s pretty obvious that Tesla is losing ground - fast - to other automakers in the autonomous driving arena. As a shareholder I’m annoyed at this and wish TSLA would get their acts together and really hit this hard.

Interested to hear how FSD v11 goes. Maybe that’ll be a quantum leap forward but if it’s anything like what Elon Musk typically says, it’ll be hype, overinflated expectations and little substance. We’ll see. Either way I’m not paying $15k for the “privilege” of being part of a beta test that may or may not result in my car wadding itself into a guardrail or killing a pedestrian. MUCH more to be done before I’ll pull that trigger. I am very impressed by the results Mercedes has recently shared on their rollout of FSD level 3 in Germany.

C’mon Tesla! Make autopilot awesome!

Reactions: cwerdna and Resist
The autopilot won't urge for a "Need for Speed" moment and can stay at the stated speed limit you set for it. I told my friend to use autopilot, but he had no interest to re-activate it after it got disabled because he only wants to drive as if he were playing Need for Speed. We both had cop cars driving next to us in both our drives but he is the one who got pulled over because he insists no cop can ever give you a ticket for doing 80 mph in a 70 mph zone. And he can easily win it if he pays a traffic ticket lawyer to fight it.
Suggestion: don't let your friend drive your car again. If he speeds and drives like it's a game, AND manages to get AP to disengage, you should be concerned that he is going to get you into an accident, never mind the speeding tickets. Real race drivers (I know a couple) generally do NOT speed, because they don't need to "prove" their masculinity by driving fast on regular roads since they do that professionally on closed tracks.

More generally, yes, AP can help avoid these things because it sticks to the legal speeds (though be warned that if it misses a speed limit sign it might not, and the police are unlikely to accept "it was APs fault" as an excuse).

My Tesla sees "Truck Speed Limit" and doesn't seem to understand what "Truck" is, so I can sympathize. 🤣
The other day I was testing FSD beta and the car came up to an intersection with a "no turn on red" sign and a red light, with the navigation set to a destination that required a right turn. The car stopped and then started to move forward, with the light still red. I hit the brake before the car moved more than a few inches, but I'm confident it would have made that right-on-red turn even though it was clearly marked as illegal at that point.

Of course, technically I'm talking about FSD, not Autopilot; but it's another example of what you've pointed out: Teslas can read only a handful of the important traffic signs at the moment. Granted, they can read the most common ones, but many of the ones they can't read are really quite important.

The car only recognizes these:

1674532390811.png

If you bolt on other statements, the car will have difficulty recognizing them. Such as:

1674532458923.png

In this example, the car sees the speed limit sign, but won't understand the top "trucks" portion. This is why many people have the car switch the speed to the truck speed incorrectly.

1674532534093.png

It's going to be a very long time before the car understands these signs:

1674532840584.png