Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ooooohhhh. Does that mean the other cars with the speed/lane assist don't have this stalk? The plot thickens...(again)...

My car built September 16th-19th does not have the sensors. It does have the change in the order of the stalks (turn signal at the top and cruise at the bottom). But it does not have the printing for the ACC and that part of the stalk does not turn. So far I believe we know the cars with the new features have new sensors, new windshields, and even a different cruise stalk than cars just slightly before them have. I think it's safe to assume that the cars without the sensors probably don't have the haptic feedback steering wheel bits either.

IMG_2596.jpg

I honestly don't find either of these features to be compelling. Would rather have ACC and blind spot monitoring.

I agree. In addition, I would rather have them than parking sensors and even folding mirrors, to name a few upgrades that have come out in the last year. I am sure this is the first step in getting us there.

Our build was in that time frame, so it looks like we missed out by a few days. We did get the same layout as yours and were told we have the newer steering wheel. But after seeing what others received, I highly doubt it. I would have liked to have had the option to add the ACC. Guess we'll see what Tesla does. They certainly do things differently then other companies. Always full of surprises.

They may be using the Mercedes parts bin for the stalks, but not sure they are using Mercedes driver assistance tools as well.

Based on what Elon has said in the past, autonomous driving will essentially be the driver assistance technologies taken to the limit.

All the stuff they are adding now, speed warning, etc I think are for the autonomous driving capability in a few years. Which they are developing in-house and with mobile eye as evidenced by the job postings, elons own comments, and partnership respectively

For those who have been following Tesla longer than I have, is there any pattern as to when they change hardware or software?
Do they time it with earning reports, Elon's public appearances or phases of the moon? Or is there no strategy behind it at all......when R&D has something ready, they incorporate it into the factory line and Voila.

For those who have been following Tesla longer than I have, is there any pattern as to when they change hardware or software?
Do they time it with earning reports, Elon's public appearances or phases of the moon? Or is there no strategy behind it at all......when R&D has something ready, they incorporate it into the factory line and Voila.

The answer to your question is "when it's ready".