Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The sensors for what you want will be on the car, the software will likely come later. Don't hold off because of that. There is clearly a radar sensor in the front lower grill area and that will be used for ACC and collision avoidance once the software is ready.
Interesting. I've been trying to follow this thread closely, but this is the first mention I've seen of that. Did someone have pics? I'm curious.

Lower grill sensor

0ebbbe102bf568eb243297c4bfceca9a.jpg

I just took delivery of my Model S.
VIN #56110, tech package, parking sensors.
Car was in production approximately September 17-20

I didn't get speed assist or lane departure warnings, and none of the other cars at the Scottsdale SC that I saw had the sensors either.

FWIW I got confirmation from my Service Advisor today that many of the newer cars being delivered do have extra sensors and the camera thingy in the rear view mirrors. He says that's becasuse the factory had to install them for EU spec cars, so just started including them in all production models (that have Tech package and parking sensor options). He did say they weren;'t officially notified of the new capabilities and were told not to activate them in the new cars (probably because the latest v6.0 doesn't have the option showing yet).

I would bet it will be like the parking sensor retrofit. Tesla doesn't advertise it, but they will do it for a price. A very high price.

My guess is that the significant barrier here is going to be the windshield, which looks to have a different shape for the blacked out surround for the sensor on the new cars.

That difference is what makes it essentially impossible to retrofit the auto windshield wipers on US market Golf VIs, even though all the other parts are readily available and not difficult to integrate.

I just got clued into this thread. Interesting stuff although like several other posters, I am most interested in ACC and I am hoping the bumper sensor means that will be a reasonable retrofit. I just put down a reservation fee for a replacement S85 as the insurance company gave me the total price on my deceased dolphin gray. :-(

My guess is that the significant barrier here is going to be the windshield, which looks to have a different shape for the blacked out surround for the sensor on the new cars.

That difference is what makes it essentially impossible to retrofit the auto windshield wipers on US market Golf VIs, even though all the other parts are readily available and not difficult to integrate.

Getting a windshield replacement due to damage would reduce this barrier.

About 3:45 PM just south of Gilroy, I passed 2 fully loaded car carriers with Teslas on US 101 heading south. Could not check all as I passed on the left,(some were facing other direction - me going 75 - ahem 65 mph). But the ones I could see had the rectangle spot in the area below the nosecone. There were mostly white and a few smatterings of gray.

Took delivery this afternoon of VIN 530**, which went into production on September 19. The car has the suite of driver assist sensors. Interestingly, it is running v5.9 software but still has a panel of "Driver Assist" settings in the software settings. Lane departure warning gives three short vibrations in the steering wheel that basically feel like rumble strips. Speed assist shows the speed limit in the center of the speedo display and looks like it can be configured to chime. Notably, speed assist seems a little glitchy--I'd estimate that it shows the correct speed limit maybe 1 in 3 times.

I pressed the team at delivery for more info. They were very tight-lipped (and I don't think they had heard that Tesla publicly confirmed Driver Assist today) but did admit that Tesla was starting to roll out cars with the sensors and might have more plans for them in the future.

According to Updated Tesla Model S With Cameras Revealed By Software Update, Tesla has released the following statement:

"Starting recently, some Model S being delivered in North America come equipped with two new features. The features are lane drift detection, which will deliver a warning via vibration in the steering wheel if the driver starts to drift from the lane without signaling, and speed limit display, which will inform the driver of the speed limit and alert them when it is exceeded. These features are necessary to meet the latest standards in the European market, but we have decided to integrate them into Model S delivered worldwide."

and...

"due to the extensive changes involved in this instance, however, a retrofit is not feasible."

I wonder why they persist in giving this clearly illogical answer? Of course it can be retrofitted. They should say "we are not offering a retrofit" or "we may offer a retrofit, but expect to cost a lot". While I don't doubt that those parts would need to be replaced, it just does not logically follow that a retrofit cannot be done.

Well. People have been on the moon over 40 years ago. Of course retrofit can be made.

I sent service the email I received from ownership regarding lifting the mileage restriction. Service told me, in clear and exact words, that Ownership was mistaken and that email does not reflect Tesla Motors policy. Tesla appears to be walking back from some of their earlier flexibility and are now referring to the written agreements that are in place.

I'm not exactly sure what, in practical terms, that means. I bought the 4 + 4 service plan. I have about 34,000 miles on the car and it's only been in for 1 official "Annual Service". It's been in lots of other times for specific issues, however. I assumed since these annual inspections were no longer required for warranty (and I would need 2 a year because of the miles I drive), that I would just use them up once a year for 8 years.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if they'll add speed assist as a software update to all cars with navigation? Supposedly, Navigon already has that feature. Sure, it wouldn't be as good as with the camera setup, but lots of other cars offer it with no camera.

Yep. Even my TomTom iPhone app has it. I assume it just has a database of speed limits and used GPS speed to do the math.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks to me that yes the Torklift solution would interfere with that sensor.

And where I live, it would be jammed up with snow/ice for a portion of the year.