Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation re: next major Model S upgrade announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I think sun roofs are very over rated. I've never wanted one, though I'm only considering it when I get my Model S because of the better head room and the ability to attach a roof rack (which I may need occasionally).
I think the like or dislike for a sunroof has a lot to do with the weather you live in. Where we live, we get lots of days where the temperature outside is perfect, so I love opening the sunroof.

A sunroof might not be for everyone.

I really wish there was a 3rd option on the Model S (I would pick it in a heartbeat), a fixed glass top. Basically, a panoramic top without the sunroof components to make it move. I would get the lighter feel, hopefully the extra headroom, and avoid the potential for leaks, etc.

I really wish there was a 3rd option on the Model S (I would pick it in a heartbeat), a fixed glass top. Basically, a panoramic top without the sunroof components to make it move. I would get the lighter feel, hopefully the extra headroom, and avoid the potential for leaks, etc.
Same here. I love the look of the car with the pano roof but I doubt that I would actually ever use it. A fixed glass roof would be a cheaper option that provides light but no leaks!

Does anyone not remember what Elon said at the P85D launch last year? He specifically said there would be no major changes to Model S until Fall of 2015. Now since then there have been some changes like 70 and 90 batteries, ludicrous upgrade, LTE and executive seats. He apparently doesn't consider these changes as significant. I believe that we will see a significant change this fall as he claimed. I'm hoping this change will be the incorporation of Model X goodies into the Model S like removal of nose cone, upgraded processor, more powerful charger, maybe new wheels and improved autopilot. Of course since it's "Elon Time" these changes won't actually occur until early 2016. My WAG.
This is part of the reason I started the thread. From this statement to just the history of making major changes in November my best guess was a November announcement.

To meet target delivery numbers for 2015 I feel they need to introduce a finite break in the incremental updates to convince people it's the correct time to buy. Inheriting a few of Model X's features would do it IMO. Since I just took delivery I'm hoping there are no major cosmetic changes, but I admit this would convince a lot of people to order a new car now.

Me too. I never open my pano roof, but my wife and kids love looking out of it.

To meet target delivery numbers for 2015 I feel they need to introduce a finite break in the incremental updates to convince people it's the correct time to buy. Inheriting a few of Model X's features would do it IMO. Since I just took delivery I'm hoping there are no major cosmetic changes, but I admit this would convince a lot of people to order a new car now.

Tesla simply can't do it. If Tesla announced that there is going to be a specific set of design changes in 4 months, they would Osborne themselves or at a minimum it would force them into substantial discounting. Unlike the bigger makers, they're not building to inventory at all. So they can't afford to go 3-4 months with dramatically lower orders.

For the foreseeable future, they will have to continue to keep notice of upgrades as quiet as possible until they happen. It's frustrating sometimes, but it's the least bad of the available options.

Well, a month has passed since I started this thread and asked: When & what do you think the next major Model S upgrade will be?

and....no updates yet. I do believe that there's a good chance that some of the Model X updated technology will trickle down to the Model S, but the question is when. Any tea leaf reading would be welcome!

Well, a month has passed since I started this thread and asked: When & what do you think the next major Model S upgrade will be?

and....no updates yet. I do believe that there's a good chance that some of the Model X updated technology will trickle down to the Model S, but the question is when. Any tea leaf reading would be welcome!

I'd wager a bet that it would happen after the Model X starts shipping, and since that hasn't happened yet...

I am a current MX reservation holder and am considering the MS because I don't like some the MX features we have been seeing lately. In fact I am torn with waiting for Tesla to 'fix' these issues on the MX or jumping in on the MS before they screw that car up. Specifically I don't like:

* Non folding, pedestal mounted second row seats
* 48 amp charging limit
* New nose cone design - no choice on the MX
* Auto opening front doors - this can hopefully be turned off

Whenever they announce the new MS I hope we have a short period that we can still order the old one in case the new one does not meet my needs. So I have to watch the MX features, the current MS features and a new MS announcement. That will hopefully all happen at the same time so I can make the best decision for me.

Here are my predictions:

Ventilated leather seats, perhaps with active cooling
Radar sensors hidden behind the skin like the Model X has for the FWD
Adjustable height shoulder for front seat belts
Holder for sunglasses
Center / back consoles that can be ordered with car rather than an accessory
Nose cone that looks more like the Model X
Tow hitch setup

Here are my predictions:

Ventilated leather seats, perhaps with active cooling
Radar sensors hidden behind the skin like the Model X has for the FWD
Adjustable height shoulder for front seat belts
Holder for sunglasses
Center / back consoles that can be ordered with car rather than an accessory
Nose cone that looks more like the Model X
Tow hitch setup

All sound very reasonable. I also think the center console will become standard like it is with the Model X with the option to leave it off if someone does not want it. It's silly to have to pay for a center console for a car in this price range simply because you want a concealed storage area or a way to dock your phone.

The only reason I got the panoramic roof was because the roof rack cannot be used with non-pano roof. :( I had a tough time convincing myself that the MS would really replace my Audi Q5 -- and the family trips with bikes is a must-have.

I'm curious what "new for Model 3 tech" will accidentally-or-otherwise debut in Model S or Model X. An example of "or otherwise" would be like how they introduced dual motors (Model X tech) into S to get some miles of testing/validation on it (and some sales).

Well, 3.5 months have passed since I started this thread and asked: When & what do you think the next major Model S upgrade will be?

Well, 3.5 months have passed since I started this thread and asked: When & what do you think the next major Model S upgrade will be?

Well there has been a new version of the cruse control / AutoPilot stalk on the steering wheel assembly. The new version apparently is without the chrome button at the end. I have been told there are about 17 things that also changed which you cannot actually see.

For instance, as an example, in my SC, a new rolling skateboard which is a Dual Engine version has arrived. It is sitting next to the earlier single rear engine skateboard. If you look part by part, there are major differences in many of the parts. The first skateboard arrived in early 2014 and this new one is very new so lets say 3 months old at best. I would say at least 50+ parts have changed. These are parts you would not see. The front and rear suspension parts that are frame related have really been strengthened with ribs in the castings.

In fact I may post a photo essay of these various changes if I can get permission from Tesla to take some photos and post them here.

Last edited:
Well there has been a new version of the cruse control / AutoPilot stalk on the steering wheel assembly. The new version apparently is without the chrome button at the end.

I'm a little surprised by that. It's not in use today, but it seems like it would be something nice to keep in case they want to add some functionality to AutoPilot that could use that button, since most cars have the button. As it is, it's probably more than a little confusing for new drivers because all 3 directions of the stalk have dual (or triple) functions based on how far, how long, or how many times you move the stalk.