Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation: Model S/X being discontinued?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No reason for Tesla to discontinue S & X.

They are both very profitable, with all the development costs long ago amortized.

They provide a Flagship offering for those wanting something more upscale than the basic 3 & Y.

Their all aluminum construction is great for relatively low volume production.

In addition to the standard Long Range offering, they also produce the World beating PLAID version for those wanting the ultimate in performance.

The S is an awsome grand touring vehicle with a super capable hatchback design. The X is the highest form for a family car, offering additional interior space and long distance travel.

Imagine they will continue to evolve, with continous improvement.

For World domination in the EV space, Tesla needs more vehicle configurations, not less.

Imagine that the upcoming Cyber Truck and smaller lower cost vehicles will round out the offerings.

If they did stop making the S and the X, they would soon introduce replacement models at similar prices. The S and X are aspirational like all high-end models in a company's lineup. They definitely do not want 3 or Y customers moving to some other brand to get a higher-end car.

Regarding the RHD. does anyone know how many RHD X and S are sold each year? My guess is the cost of manufacturing and support and stock RHD parts like the dash and so on just don't justify the profits made from a few units.

Reactions: m5james
Elon Musk has said they are continuing to produce the S and X mostly for sentimental reasons.

“Elon Musk has said” is perhaps the worst persuasive sentence opener in the world. 😂

He said this 4 years ago in response to an earnings call question in a transparent attempt to defend the declining sales of an aging platform and buying some time for a major refresh to come to market that was clearly well underway at that point.

So long as people buy them and they can be produced and sold at reasonable margins and quantities they’ll stick around for the foreseeable future. No particular reason to think otherwise. Certainly not because Elon said something 4 years ago.

“Elon Musk has said” is perhaps the worst persuasive sentence opener in the world. 😂

He said this 4 years ago in response to an earnings call question in a transparent attempt to defend the declining sales of an aging platform and buying some time for a major refresh to come to market that was clearly well underway at that point.

So long as people buy them and they can be produced and sold at reasonable margins and quantities they’ll stick around for the foreseeable future. No particular reason to think otherwise. Certainly not because Elon said something 4 years ago.
But they are taking up manufacturing space that could be repurposed for other more profitable products. I could see the X being discontinued before the S.

I wonder if they will design an 8 passenger product. Lowe end RWD mini van like. Add more motors and an adjustable height suspension. Now you have a luxury SUV that could run 10s 1/4 mile.

But they are taking up manufacturing space that could be repurposed for other more profitable products. I could see the X being discontinued before the S.

I wonder if they will design an 8 passenger product. Lowe end RWD mini van like. Add more motors and an adjustable height suspension. Now you have a luxury SUV that could run 10s 1/4 mile.
The X sells better than the S, and it was a product that Elon was heavily involved in specing/designing. Also, the S and X are made only in Fremont, so their impact on Tesla overall manufacturing capacity is localized.

Reactions: Ethan Ryczek
The X sells better than the S, and it was a product that Elon was heavily involved in specing/designing. Also, the S and X are made only in Fremont, so their impact on Tesla overall manufacturing capacity is localized.
And the only place the model 3 is made in North America is the Fremont plant. So there is an equation that maximizes profit and it might mean killing off some models.

Elon is nobtung if not creative and flamboyant with his line up.

S 3 X Y will thrive as long as he’s CEO. Or ‘techno king’ lol. S and X provide Tesla bragging rights…The hallmark of billionaires.

Practical or not, he won’t eliminate advancement to sustainable transport in any way.

From economics and ROI, the volumes compared to M3 and MY are understandable. Because volumes are low (compared to M3 and MY), to amortize overhead, per car markups are going to be much higher. But there will be branding reason to keep the S and X of S3XY or all Tesla will have will be 3 Y (and C later). I wonder if they will ever have a common skateboard for all 4 at some point to reduce overhead of S & X further.

I suspect MS and MX will stay premium because of the prestige of driving these aluminum body cars will always be around.

Reactions: jboy210 and CTDW
Hopefully, they will not be discontinued. I think many S/X buyers would ultimately leave the brand if they do, vs. replacing it with a 3/Y. I want the larger vehicle size the S and X provide and the larger screens, ventilated seats, higher-end interior, etc.

Reactions: Ethan Ryczek