Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9v1.1 Launch: Orbcomm OG2, July 14, 2014 (finally!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome video! Vast improvement over previous soft landing attempt.

So it appears that the landing went as planned. Stage was deliberately tipped over once the soft landing was accomplished. During tip over when the stage contacted the water it suffered structural failure of some kind.

I hope the next first stage landing occurs on land!

Damn this is exciting stuff to witness in my lifetime.

I'm no expert, but is the product of LOX/RP1 not CO2 and H2O? Probably hard to avoid all that water flying back up into the camera as the re-entry burn is happening.

If that is the case, then what happened differently between the two landings? because there was no issue with this the first time. Once they recovered the video you can clearly make out the images and there is no evidence of icing.

Found this article spacetoday.net: SpaceX releases video of first stage landing

It says "SpaceX says it will make another water landing attempt three launches from now, on its next NASA commercial resupply mission, and then attempt landings on land for the subsequent two launches."

yeah, but that seems based on their press release. Which given the description in the release the "land" could be a floating island. But exciting all the same!

The press release specifically says that next two launches are high speed geo satellites (AsiaSat 8 & 6) that have to run on expendables and would normally be flown with Heavy once it's in the fleet. However launch 13 will be a water landing (that should be CRS-4?) with limited probability for recovery and the next two flights (14 and 15) will be on solid surface (probably some barge). So the next attempt will be a rerun with a soft landing in water and probable loss of vehicle at the end.

and it didn't just "fall into the ocean" - It softly landed!

I was reading that when they refire the one engine it apparently has more thrust to weight ratio greater than 1 which is why they can't do a "hover" type landing. They have to fire the engine at exactly the right time so when they hit 0 altitude the are going exactly 0 velocity. This is why you only see it fire the engine just before it hits the water and rapidly comes to a halt.

I assume for the Dragon V2 there will be much more weight which will give a better thrust to weight ratio allowing them to slow the rate of decent more "comfortably". haha!

and it didn't just "fall into the ocean" - It softly landed!

I was reading that when they refire the one engine it apparently has more thrust to weight ratio greater than 1 which is why they can't do a "hover" type landing. They have to fire the engine at exactly the right time so when they hit 0 altitude the are going exactly 0 velocity. This is why you only see it fire the engine just before it hits the water and rapidly comes to a halt.

I assume for the Dragon V2 there will be much more weight which will give a better thrust to weight ratio allowing them to slow the rate of decent more "comfortably". haha!

I was thinking that they could throttle the 1D, but I have checked and they cannot - only the Second Stage 1C (60-100%) I also wondered if this relight would cause some form of Pogo Oscillation , but I think that only affects rockets on the way up, not down. Either way, would be interesting to know how they had to design the fuel lines/pumps to get the leftover RP1/LOX where it's supposed to go in order to decelerate.

I wonder why they never put floaties on the landing legs...?